What to you think of the Bellenden road area?

Hello,

We're living in a 1 bed in ED and looking to upgrade to a 2 bed garden flat, and ideally want to stay in ED itself - there are some attractive flats in the Bellenden road area too though.

What does everyone think of that area? Does it have Peckham trouble? Will house values go up a lot because people are starting to look more and more at "greater" East Dulwich? Or will they not go up so much because there are no good schools there? How is the atmosphere in terms of cosiness, how is it in terms of feeling safe on the street at night?

Also - where does the "good part" of the Bellenden road area end? Maxted road? Chadwick road?

Please also answer if you don't live there but have an opinion about it, good or bad.

Thanks!

Next month marks our anniversary of moving into Maxted Road. And hand on heart I can say it is the best move we ever made. The area is incredibly friendly - have a walk down the road on the weekend and you will see for yourself. It feels quite small in a really good way but has enough shops that one doesn't feel in the middle of nowhere. My number one priority when moving was that I felt safe (we were moving from Clapton) - and I really do. As safe as I would feel anywhere in a city late at night- as safe as I would in East Dulwich. Yes the craziness of Rye Lane is only a hop skip and a jump away but it is easy to avoid if you wish.

As for house prices - have a look at www.ourproperty.co.uk and you will be able to see that house prices have soared in the last two years (wish I'd moved earlier!). If the proposed crash in house prices takes place then I think the area might suffer... it's a question of whether you think that's a possibility or not.

As for schools- it's in the catchment for St John and St Clement; Goose Green and I know Catholic neighbours with children at St Anthony - so very solid primary schools. Secondary schools are a different matter - not something concerning us yet.

I actually made a very conscious decision to live in Bellenden rather than East Dulwich when house hunting - it felt more like a community than a trendy high street; it was far better value and certainly we found most gardens were a better size than in similar properties in ED. That said - I'm a huge ED fan which is great since I am only a very short walk away from Lordship Lane.

I live in the area and like the nearness to both ED and Peckham Rye. Many of the flats/maisonnettes on Copleston, Oxenford, Oglander are well-built - look turn of the century but all are purpose built as they were one of the first council estates in England -therefore everyone has a garden whether you are first floor or ground floor.

A friend of mine who moved from this area to near the Dulwich Library says she misses the friendliness of Bellenden. In her new, more affluent area - people just come and go to work and don't know each other that well. On the road round here - Bellenden/Copleston/Oglander/Oxenford Roads - there are quite a few retired people living in the maisonettes/flats who've been here a long time which leads to people who know each other and the area quite well - i.e. have brought their kids up here. And they are around in the daytimes - not just dashing in from the City at 9pm and out again at 6pm. I find it comforting that I can go down the street and know that if I was in trouble, I'd have quite a few doors I could knock on to ask for help.

Sadly, I've noticed that a number of young 'we're so cool and hip look at us living in urban Peckham' crowd sunddenly decide they can't possibly send their precious poppets to the local primary school Bellenden and send them to the Villa, which appears to be a whiter than white school private pre-prep school in the midst of multi-cultural Peckham. Which strikes me as very sad indeed- particuarly as if all these folks sent their kids to the local school (or maybe give a donation of what they'd have to pay the Villa every year - maybe this would pay for an extra teacher or two) it would probably rise in standards. But as the previous poster has said, there are other primary schools in the area if you don't want to send your child to Bellenden Primary - particularly if you live in south Bellenden which is in the catchment area of two excellent schools Goose Green primary on Grove Vale and St. Johns primary on Adys Road.

Lived there for 6 years but frankly it's been getting a bit lame since the East Dulwich overlflow started moving in. I've lost count of the amount of times I've been down at the sorting office in Peckham and seen semeone from Bellenden colecting a parcel with East Dulwich SE15 on the adress. If you're so ashamed of the area go somewhere else.

The Oglander in still one an awesome pub though. Lots of great music and still black enough to keep the home counties yahoos out.

Frankly it does have 'Peckham Trouble'. Guy who runs our local shop on Avondale Rise got shot in the leg by some local yoots. Bloke got his throat slashed on Chadwick Rd last year.

When I sold my last flat the estate agent (Bushells) was always complaining about 'black youths' hanging around in the street with pitbulls. Yeah it's south east London .....

Sorry to tell you Catalyst that Ali sold the Oglander months ago after a sterling 10 year residency. It's empty. He got planning for flats on the 2nd time of asking so it will sadly be decommissioned as a boozer. It was a great local and altho I hate seeing pubs turned into housing, you couldn't say that that man didn't put his heart & soul into the place.

We've been here for 10+ years, starting on Maxted then working our way 'round the corner to Oglander. In those days you could buy a house on Maxted on E grade nurse's pay. What people are saying about friendliness is all true. We lived on Maxted when it was tarted up by the council and got to know lots of neighbours. It's villagey. There has been turnover in our group of friends as kids approach the 2ndary school stage. The primaries are great (our 2 have attended Goose Green and St J&C's) but - as detailed extensively on this forum - the secondary school options are limited. People are moving away or going private which i am sure will please the nimby crew fighting to keep Harris out of Dulwich as we will be replaced by richer better types

The Oglander closed about six momths ago ... think the site is earmarked for homes actually.

The Gowlett and The Montpellier are both really good local pubs.

As for black youths hanging around with pitbulls - are you sure that isn't estate agent prejudice? It's not something I have encountered. But I loved your comment about addresses on parcels, Catalyst - I know exactly what you mean! The only time I pull that one is late at night when getting black cabs - and sadly it does make a difference, say Peckham and suddenly they are going home,say East Dulwich and you stand a fighting chance of getting home.

Whenever I walk past Bellenden Primary School it seems really well run and the kids seems happy - in fact the ofsted report from this year suggests there is a great deal of care and support for the children and speaks highly of the individual attention it gives. But its academic results are poor and that is what many parents will go by. I suspect parents who send their kids to Villa (I think it's about four thousand a term) are the type who would always favour private education - or just have so much spare income they don't know what to do with it.

we got - with the other people we attended the open session with - a clear message from Bellenden Primary that whities were not welcome! This was confirmed in the weeks that followed. I don't think we are thin skinned - i lived in Manningham / Bradford for 10 years before moving down here. That experience of Bellenden Primary was 3 or 4 years ago so maybe it's different now. Goose Green and St J&Cs are both great schools anyway.

Great area.

In terms of where is the "good" bit. You don't have to think only as far as Chadwick as well. Have a look at the Lyndhursts and the streets in and around the much-derided Vale nursery and school if you want more good housing. It's further away from all ED has to offer though, which will be a good or bad thing depending on your view.

Another school worth mentioning is Dog Kennel Hill, which you are also catchment for in certain areas.

What the blinking flip does "Peckham trouble" mean?

Oh wait, sorry - everyone who lives in Peckham is all the same bad lot?

NO-ONE ever did anything wrong who lives in ED?

Isn't there another topic of this forum talking about kids bullying/hassling/threatening in ED?

Explain. Not sure we want such snobs living here....

As for feeling safe - isn't that a state of mind attitude? Trust me - it can be just as threatening and frightening in the nicest parts of Chelsea and Eton Square. (I remember a documentary on TV interviewing lots of women driving their 4x4s being asked why they chose those cars and they said they felt "safer". What - did Cortinas never have locks?)

The perception of fear of being attacked and mugged is ruling people's minds and hearts. If you look frightened you're more of a target.

I hope you find a wonderful new home wherever you choose to live (and don't see it just as a potential money-earner).

> What does everyone think of that area? Does it

> have Peckham trouble?

Lived on Wingfield St for 12 years now and love it. Never had any trouble, neighbours are fantastic and very friendly. Got the choice of Lordship Lane or Rye Lane (depending what I want). Equal distance between Peckham Rye and East Dulwich stations. House prices are rising though. 2 house sold on the street for around ?430,000 and next door has just gone on for ?470,000. All I keep saying is "How much for a terraced house in Peckham??!!" (We bought ours for ?70,000, just to rub it in). Jo

PeckhamRose - it's a fact that Peckham is statistically much more dangerous than Dulwich, in terms of reported violent crime. And also there have been some very high profile incidents over the last few years which will affect people's perception of the area. Wanting you and your family to be safe has nothing to do with being snobbish, neither is it a state of mind. I don't see how it's constructive to shrug it off by saying that nowhere is perfect.

We in Camberwell have a saying 'thank god for Peckham'. Sorry Peckham boy, not only is central Peckham a dump and quite dangerous, it is despite MILLIONS of taxpayers funds being poured in.

I wouldn't have minded so much the investment if the people living there didn't just continue to destroy the place.

I've witnessed loads more dodgy things in Camberwell than in Peckham. A man was stabbed to death in broad daylight outside the bookshop I worked in amongst other things. Peckham is far from perfect, but I feel much safer in the shopping street there than I do in Camberwell.

Yes on street burglary it appears so. I doubt it is overall, though as stated previously, I'm in The Grove and choosing to drop the 'Camberwell' bit.

Of course Peckham should be better given the millions we've all paid to regenerate things. Shame it hasn't really worked out yet. Bellenden is nice, if not a bit tired now and losing its luster. Subsidy is gone now so we'll see how it pans out.

Shame about the attack on the Villa. It's a 0-7 nursery and school. The nursery is the majority of the operation and is a competitor in the market with Sainsburys, Mother Goose and all those other private providers - nothing posh about it at all. The school costs about ?6K pa and has approx 40 kids across the 3 years it covers, so hardly sucking significant demographics out of the other local primary schools. Glad to hear Goose Green is wonderful now but it certainly wasn't 6 years ago when I was looking for a place for my daughter so it was the Villa for us. Yes it's whiter than the community primary school my kids are at now, but that "whiter than white" comment is unwarranted and frankly ignorant.

Bellenden Belle Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> As for black youths hanging around with pitbulls -

> are you sure that isn't estate agent prejudice?

It absolutely was.

Just got back from a night time art thing at McDermott Gardens in Bellenden.

3 yoot man dems skinning up in the corner and taking the piss out of the art installations was the highlight. lol

It's a good area if you have little ones. There is the fantastic wildlife centre at marsden road. the wednesday playgroup at all saints church by peckham rye station. all saints church is really friendly, but they are quite full on and into the alpha course!

copleston church and centre run lots of classes and a parent and baby group.

and theres the brilliant petitou cafe. i cant fault that place.

I dont like that area personally, and do not feel safe there. I toyed with the idea of moving there a while back as it is still a bit cheaper than where I currently am in ED. However, I opted to stay put. I know that people harp on about the regenerated 'Bellenden area' but I think it is quite overrated.

In short, it is Peckham SE15! The old adage that you can't polish a turd still stands - in my humble opinion.