Glasto

huncamunca

*Bob* Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> To be fair though, anything would be nice after

> Reading - baby or no.

When I've been to Reading, it's been because I want to see specific bands, and they do tend to get pretty good line ups if you like rock. Agree though, as a festival experience it pretty much sucks. Womad saw me tucked up by midnight, with no class A's all weekend. Saw some great stuff though, it wasn't all african drums.

If nothing else, Glastonbury this year may have produced an iconic image to compare with the "Vancouver Kiss" picture. Reminiscent of some of Capa's work, the composition is similar to the Vancouver picture, but the themes identical.

Both images capture an ephemeral intimacy faced with brutal indifference, set within a wider backdrop of chaos and confusion, the riots in Vancouver and the music festival at Glastonbury.

Admittedly I can't quite put my finger on why, but for me, the Canadian picture just edges the British effort.

No Burning Man for you then?

Had some friends went to Beni last year, but found the overall experience a bit pedestrian and were somewhat underwhelmed.

Have heard really good things about Exit but, like Glaston-Berry, it won't be long before it's on the turn.

I was there and I can tell you Beyonce was wonderful. She read the crowd, she was a show woman and she understood why she had been booked unlike McCartney a few years ago who thought it was OK to do new material. Beyonce opened with her two greatest hits, a courageous start showing she had a full pack of aces. We knew we were in for something - unlike the long dreary set of others when you know its gonna be one hour 25 minutes before you have a mass euphoric singalong. Beyonce made a lot of fans that night, she committed to the speficic environment, she was in the moment, she was genuinely touched by the adoration of the huge crowd, she worked hard.

And I knew nothing of Beyonce before except the two singles.

Glastonbury evolves every year. The music stages are just one part of it, and the main ones will reflect the taste of the day, which may be middle of the road. Elsewhere you will find eclectic wierd things all over the place.

It's the only festival that treats its festival goers as grown ups who are allowed to have fires, cook with sharp inplements, be responsible for themselves.

Worrying about the weather is like going to the men's finals at wimbledon and being disappointed there isnt a Brit playing. You're there arent you!

Sorry didnt read the whole of this thread, so hope not repeating what others have said.

Huggers Wrote:

> Worrying about the weather is like going to the

> men's finals at wimbledon and being disappointed

> there isnt a Brit playing. You're there arent

> you!

True to a certain extent, but I do remember thinking (after a third or fourth successive year of comedy mud) what a pleasant change it would make to actually be able to just 'sit down on the ground' at some point during a four day festival - without involving the laying down of plastic bags and negotiating filth-encrusted clothing.

That sort-of run can grind-down even the most ardent fan.

nashoi Wrote:

> Admittedly I can't quite put my finger on why, but

> for me, the Canadian picture just edges the

> British effort.

Well maybe, it's because he's actually looking into her eyes in the Canadian one.

Where as the British one begs the question " When did you last take a shower "

Ewww:-$

from the tv coverage and friends that went- it seems widely acknowledged that the performance of the weekend was from this young lady......her performance at the roundhouse was one of the best live performances i've seen in ages, but this looks on another level

she deserves MUCH more love

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0129fhd/Glastonbury_2011_Janelle_Monae_and_The_Chemical_Brothers/