Dulwich Village Junction

macutd

Can something please be done about the following as I have witnessed the same thing daily and an accident WILL HAPPEN and very nearly did yesterday. Thankfully it didn't.

When driving onto Court Lane, with Harold George on the left and additional set of traffic lights has been put in for the pedestrians to press so they can cross. Car drivers ARE NOT SEEING THEM as they are driving on the green lights that allow them to move in the first place and are driving straight through them. It is lethal, small children cross here without adults, this is an accident waiting to happen. Whoever designed this should be moved to a different department.

when will it all end?...Calton Ave has been closed all week....

We live in the Beauval/Woodwarde/Calton/Townley area and it feels like we've been surrounded by roadworks for what feels like the best part of a year....Townley road has been ripped up a couple of time in various parts, woodwarde partly resurfaced, Dulwich village junction...jst to name a few....

The traffic light sequencing is a nightmare. As soon as the east/west cycle lane light is on green, cyclists going ahead, left or right in either direction immediately hit a red light due to pedestrians being on green at the same time, which is confusing. As I've said before, when cars trying to beat the lights north/south outrun the lights and don't manage to get all the way across before the lights change, that means cars, lorries, mopeds, bikes and pedestrians end up competing for the same small box. This afternoon a few small children were straggling across after the pedestrian light changed and there could easily have been an accident.

If you're heading across from Turney Road and up Court Lane, now that you no longer have priority over Calton Avenue and have to queue, this causes a snake of traffic that then blocks the junction. Nothing that the drivers exiting Turney Road can do to avoid it or be aware of it.

Considering 2/3 of the traffic continues up Court Lane, this is so poorly thought out. Just like the rest of junction.

Thanks Southwark :-(

• 7 months later...

Sorry, I know this has been discussed, but I drove through this junction for the first time on Saturday and after reading this post, I am still confused.

According to the google map, driving from Turney road to Court Lane I had a priority over the drivers approaching the junction from Carlton Avenue. There is a give away sign on Carlton Avenue (at least on the map) My confusion is that many are saying this is not the case but why?

I just want to make sure I drive through correctly as almost had an accident on Saturday.

thank you in advance

Kat

Simple: Calton Avenue road traffic has precedent all the way through the lights (when its green) and now finally there is a yellow box to stop them blocking the way for drivers to go through to Court Lane..

in other words - if in a rush , head down Calton Ave and not down Court Lane

Thank you Abe_froeman and montassa, it is much appreciated. It is very strange that Google provides 2x different views. I agree, that it might be safer to head down Carlton Ave instead of Court Lane now. Thank you again!

kp4 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thank you Abe_froeman and montassa, it is much

> appreciated. It is very strange that Google

> provides 2x different views. I agree, that it

> might be safer to head down Carlton Ave instead of

> Court Lane now. Thank you again!

One of the views is out of date. Until the start of this year Calton Ave gave way to traffic from Court Lane. Now it's the other way round, with the yellow box to stop the junction getting gridlocked (like it was earlier this year before they got round to adding it).