Buses on diversion

The 40, 176, 185 and 484 routes are all diverted between Goose Green and Camberwell via Peckham at the moment due to an accident on Denmark Hill. Look's like it may take a while to clear as it appears a bus has hit a shop causing serious damage.

Still? The accident happened last night, think we were there not that long afterwards, and that was around midnight.

There were fire engines, ambulances and police cars screeching past us while we were stationary on the bus just past Camberwell Green, and then when we walked down the road to the junction with Coldharbour Lane there was a bus right up on the pavement a little further up Denmark Hill and it looked like two shattered shop fronts (all cordoned off so couldn't really tell) and I thought I could smell gas.

I do hope no one was hurt, but even if they weren't (which seems a little unlikely) it must have been a horrible shock for all involved, not to mention the owners of the shops.

Quick update. Am in Camberwell now, spoke to a police man, he said it's a big job and that bus diversions definately into the night and likely into tomorrow. What with the rail down I would advise all to plan a bit more ahead, buses diverting at Goose Green via Peckham then to Camberwell Green. If you need speed maybe 37 to Brixton then tube-age!? Remember getting off at St Matthews estate saves time than waiting for Lambeth Town Hall stop.

Oh yeah, forgot about that! Whoops, thanks for the highlight. I suppose bus to Forest Hill then overground for Jubilee might be best option, regardless people need to factor in extra travel time because of this. Feel sorry for the driver, those injuried and the shop which got it's front absolutely wrecked. Camberwell Therapy Rooms got badly hit!

I got on the 484 heading for Goose Green yesterday. The bus driver didn't mention being on diversion and seemed extremely put out when I suggested he could have announced it to give us the opportunity to get off by Nunhead Lane instead of sailing on down towards Rye Lane. Apparantly, it isn't his job.

Thanks for that, just thought about checking on BBC London travel and is still listed there. I think that's a sensible comment regarding tomorrow, one I shall be following. At least the trains will be back though.

I'm staggered at how Southwark Council highway Network Management have handled this.

I had to walk along Denmark Hill at 9am this morning and 5pm tonight.

The gas mains repairs are affecting the southbound lane of Denmark Hill.

When works have taken place on gas mains on this southbound lane in the past Denmark Hill has been kept open - even during rush hours - using one of the two northbound lanes for southbound traffic.

So this morning after 33 hours of Denamrk Hill being totally closed IT WAS STILL CLOSED. Northbound only returned some time today. No indication of when southbound working will return.

Clearly zero CAN DO attitude. Past methods of keeping Denmark Hill open are not beign adopted.

Very disappointing.

Whats it like coming through DH then? I need to get to pick people up at waterloo today, best option would be 176 - thats door tot door to me. But it would seem maybe not. Anyone done this over the last few days, how long did it add to your journey?

coming north seemed fine this morning. Basically I had forgotten my own advice and just took the 40 or 176 to Elephant as normal and only realised when I got to Camberwell Green that I'd forgotten about the problem

BUt journey time wasn't affected at all. Coming back the buses route through Peckham and then onto Goose Green so if you are only worried about getting off after GG, just add 10 minutes or so to journey time (all else being equal on the roads)