-------------------------------------------------------

> @maxxi "Have to say I agree with DC too and

> (incidentally) having looked at the OP again I

> think it's the "Hey Guys" intro that turns my

> stomach."

>

> Oh well, as long as it wasn't the food that turned

> your stomach.

No AJM it wasn't - it was the duplicitous approach of a campaigning vegan using an old Blairite tactic of Hey Guys and the assumed collective of "it would be wonderful if we could encourage them..." to make others think he was not against all meat at all, just FG...

which is bollocks...

breaded bollocks with stewed peppers and onions -

here: http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/533733

Tommy Tom Tom

Before you go all gung-ho. YOU have decided Foie Gras is a horrible product. I have tried to counter that position. In short I don't agree with you in all cases. The product itself isn't inherently bad - the conditions behind it MIGHT be

You aren't a consumer of the product so you aren't showing any company how you feel as a consumer. You are also spreading misinformation by claiming it's a horrible product as a fait accompli. I'm going to ask Franklins just exactly why they stopped selling it

If Chardon do stop selling it what's next on your agenda? Just so we know. As consumers

Thomas Micklewright Wrote:

> I would love to see a Foie Gras Free Dulwich.

Can we organise a counter-demo? Maybe encourage local restaurateurs to bring it back onto the menu? It's rather nice when paired with a semi-sweet wine, as I discovered in France.

Thomas - seriously....sod off. Leave local businesses alone and let consumers decide whether we want foie gras or not. I don't mind you hectoring from the forum about your ethical choices - christ knows I've done that often enough to drive Otta insane - but to start campaigning and lobbying local businesses with a distinct lack of broad support is worthy of the worst WI. It's interfering busy-body behaviour of the self-righteous.

I rarely eat it tbh....not for ethical reasons, or taste but just....because. But in no uncertain way do I want you dictating to local businesses what they should and shouldn't stock and sell.

Loz - I'm with you. Placards outside Franklins tomorrow at noon?

"What do we want?"

"Goose liver on toast!"

When do we want it?"

"Just after Micklewright takes the stick out his arse"

DC...Thomas is perfectly within his right to campaign for anything he feels strongly about. You might not agree with it or like it but we live in a democracy. You clearly don't agree with him, that's ok. But if he wants to petition local businesses to make ethical choices on the food they serve I don't see any problem with that (whether I agree with him doing so or not).

Really? You don't think there is anything wrong with someone who has no democratic mandate whatsoever preventing my access to a consumer good in local businesses that had previously stocked it with no complaints (to the best of our knowledge)?

That smacks of a one-man dictatorship, not a democracy.

If he has no support, businesses won't listen, so nor a problem. If be as lots of support then he has a mandate.

StraferJack Wrote:

> Out of interst Otta, that seriouseats link, what

> bits of it do you find problematic? Or is it

> something else which they aren't saying?

The farm they talk about is clearly the best, and try to do things as nicely as possible. However, the bird still spends the final 3.5 weeks of it's 15 week life being force fed 3 times a day.

More to the point though, as the article says, there is no doubt that the far less ethical farms are out there, and as long as the product is sold, these farms will exist (unless regulations change).

Anyway, I'm just a hypocrite who has just enjoyed chicken & chips for ?2.50. >:D<

> East Dulwich Tavern, Beauberry House and Franklins have

> stopped serving foie gras - yes because we asked them to.

You still maintain that the EDT previously served foie gras?

> Is there anywhere else in Dulwich serving Foie Gras?

You should probably check The Plough and The Castle.

We ban all kinds of animal cruelty. We also regulate many aspects of food production on the basis of being humane. Just because you want to eat the liver of a force fed animal doesn't mean you have an automatic right to do so and sometimes the only way to force a shift away from inhumane food production is to take away the opportunity to buy food produced in that way. I can totally understand Thomoas's position on this and why he feels that he can do something poitive to his cause by petitioning local restaurants. On the flipside though, I've not heard a single valid reason for producing foie gras beyond 'because I like to eat it'.

david_carnell Wrote:

> Really? You don't think there is anything wrong

> with someone who has no democratic mandate

> whatsoever preventing my access to a consumer good

> in local businesses that had previously stocked it

> with no complaints (to the best of our

> knowledge)?

>

> That smacks of a one-man dictatorship, not a

> democracy.

Actually, I respect his right to protest. I hope he respects other people's right to stop him via protest.

> East Dulwich Tavern, Beauberry House and Franklins

> have stopped serving foie gras - yes because we

> asked them to.

who's this 'we' trying to impose their meat morality on us?

Show yourselves and give us the chance to fight back.

In the Palmerston, in Franklins... not in Le Chardon though cos it's crap.

DJKillaQueen Wrote:

> On the flipside though, I've not heard a single valid

> reason for producing foie gras beyond 'because I

> like to eat it'.

Surely you could apply that logic to any form of dead animal? Go down that route and we'd all end up as (*gasp*) veggies. Just the thought of it makes me want an emergency ham sandwich.

Well let's ask a more simple question for those who seem to have no issue with foie gras. Is the force feeding of an animal with specific foodstuffs in order to make their liver balloon and fatty cruel?

And btw foie gras production is BANNED in the UK.....why do you think that is?

DJKillaQueen Wrote:

> And btw foie gras production is BANNED in the

> UK.....why do you think that is?

As a sop to meddling do-gooders?

Production is banned, but import and selling it not? Sounds like a compromise to make the protesters STFU. How much was produced in the UK before the ban?

Thomas, how can you aspire to a foie gras-free East Dulwich if you're only targetting restaurants? What about the local shops that sell it? What about those who don't aspire to a foie gras-free ED? Do they have to campaign to have it? What's next?

I have never tried this stuff and never will. I can't understand why any (normally) conscientious consumer of good meat products where ethics and standards are important, would buy this. Cannot read strafers links but finding I am agreeing with Otta.

Seems like the issue has now become more about Thomas lobbying local business to stop offering a product rather than about foie gras itself. (Going off topic, cannot believe I'm discussing rights to eat foie gras locally when I hear about the famine in Somalia) :(

Foie GRAS production banned, yet battery chickens not

I know which I think is worse

I've seen birds flock to their feeders in fois g farms. Can't see that happening with battery chickens

It is, as ted says, a sliding scale. And I don't go for fois g myself. But as a target of inhumane husbandry it's relatively benign practice.

Jeremy Wrote:

> Thomas Micklewright Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > East Dulwich Tavern, Beauberry House and

> Franklins have

> > stopped serving foie gras - yes because we asked

> them to.

>

> You still maintain that the EDT previously served

> foie gras?

Foie gras with chips, peas and gravy used to be a very popular dish at the EDT, I'll have you know...

Foie Gras Free East Dulwich - bag checks on Dog Kennel Hill, sniffer dogs on the 18.08 from London Bridge, hessian bag brigade smuggling FG on the #40 from Borough Market.

Do Ealing Studios still make films? And does Thomas Mick look anything like Sir Alec?