6 Lordship Lane (Lounged)

gingertom

Sorry to add further to what is a pointless and tedious debate (free market anyone?) but I recall that there is a children?s clothes shop on the walworth road, selling exclusively designer clothes

I warrant that the value of goods in this shop far outweigh those in any of the above mentioned Clapham/ED boutiques!

> I warrant that the value of goods in this shop far

> outweigh those in any of the above mentioned

> Clapham/ED boutiques!

are you trying to put together a job? ;-)

finally just in defence of my fellow whingers, i'm sorry if people get offended by me slagging off their tastes, shops and way of life. it is after all a free market. please bear in mind though that we don't necessarily come on EDF for democratic debate to decide the future of our high street - it's just a good place for some of us to let off steam and complain about the inevitable. i love you all really.

I like JojoMamanBebe. I think they do decently made stuff at pretty reasonable prices actually. Its certainly not designer stuff (go to Soup Dragon, Raisin or Partridges for that). Plus you can always supplement with the fab charity shops in ED or Primark/Sainsburys. I think it will be much nicer than an empty shop, and somewhere that sells maternity clothes is great, otherwise ther eis only Mothercare in Peckham with a very limited range.

I think people just seem to have a downer on anything baby related, which is a bit sad. I wouldnt say that JMB is a massive chain or "Claphamy" at all - I dont think there is one there?

And Snorky, I am actually from Nelson in Lancashire. Their property prices have gone up by tens if not hundreds of thousands over the last few years and they are all complaining about the posh people moving in. You woud fit right in.

peckhamasbestos Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sorry to add further to what is a pointless and

> tedious debate (free market anyone?) but I recall

> that there is a children?s clothes shop on the

> walworth road, selling exclusively designer

> clothes

>

> I warrant that the value of goods in this shop far

> outweigh those in any of the above mentioned

> Clapham/ED boutiques!

THis is the other end of the scale, but is driven by exactly the same ostentatious comsumption ethos - you will see more Ralph lauren in Romford than you will in Clapham.

Just because you may a higher disposable income does not mean you have better "taste" or are not motivated by the same drip feed of advertising and its incestous and exploitatitive kin : marketing & mechandising - the end result may be differently dressed children, but the actual value of the sales may be exactly the same.

Mellors Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I>

> And Snorky, I am actually from Nelson in

> Lancashire. Their property prices have gone up by

> tens if not hundreds of thousands over the last

> few years and they are all complaining about the

> posh people moving in. You woud fit right in.

Whos complaining about posh people ? Not me - nor Am I harking back to the sepia tinted days of yestertyear when you could leave your doors open & the Richardsons would pop in for tea etc etc.

I am however disputing the proposition that lots of expensive shops = better quality of life

anyway, enough of this petty squabbling fellow ED residents, lets have a group hug and unite againt the obvious enemies of Forest HIll and their fellow interlopers Nunhead - trying to steal some of EDs deserved glory.

ps - dont get me started on those bastards in Telegraph hill.

I am however disputing the proposition that lots of expensive shops = better quality of life

Who put that proposition forward? I don't think anyone has even come close to claiming that. The people you're taking issue with have only been saying that another baby shop doesn't = worse quality of life. It's not quite the same.

I apologise if this question has been asked elsewhere on this forum but: Does anybody know what that white shop does/is towards the bottom end of North X Road?? it never seems to be open but there is always something wierd going on in there. During the summer there was a portable TV showing some woman waving.

do none of you lot ever want to leave east dulwich again ? at least sushi is the one thing i might stll fancy when i go up town YO ! hey try busabai eatery fantastic pacific rim food wardour street its in an old bank when you next make a foray out into the big wide world

ps im actually surprised we havent lost a bank yet to become a bar gastro thingy ....?

i think inside 72 was a building society

There's a simple barometer for when Lordship Lane and E Dul in general jumps the shark - the day AJ Farmer (aka theshopthatsellseverything) shuts down is the day I move out of East Dulwich.

That day still seems some way off at the moment.

I hate to say this but as a girl who only really shops in Primark, the accursed baby shop sells items much more practical than its (overpriced) clothes. There are very few shops that you can buy all of this stuff in one place (though I have used them only through mail order before). It may not be what everyone wants, but its mainly popular as they sell boring practical baby related items. Dull, unglamourous, but rare and therefore will be popular