6 Lordship Lane (Lounged)

gingertom

It is definitely one of the worst names for a shop ever, although is that just cos it's french? should they change it to

Jojomummybaby? no that's worse I think

but Catgirl is right....the maternity is MUCH cheaper than loads of places which try to make you pay 'designer' prices on clothes that you can wear for 3 months out of your whole pregnancy. You have to get pregnant about 10 times before you should consider buying those. Now that's obscene.

and Snorky I agree with you to some extent. BUT the kids clothes are not that expensive- not compared to Biff in Dulwich Village or even any of the baby stuff in ED. And they dont make them in sweat shops like Primark and Top shop. They are comitted to sustainibility etc....you can read about it in the website anyway. I'm starting to sound like I work for them!

And as is so much discussed on this forum there's definitely a market for new parents round here.

Finally-Please dont use this shop as ANOTHER reason to have a go at parents, particularly mothers. Too too predictable.

mamafeelgood Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> jesus some people are either having a very good laugh on this forum or need to get out more. it's a flipping shop selling baby clothes, which incidently covers quite a massive market in the area. they're not out to get you. they're not out to physically harm you. they're not shoving a way of life down your throat.

Quite.

snorky Wrote:

> mamafeelgood Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> >

> > i am starting to feel like i live in a

> > neighbourhood full of mary whitehouse types

> that

> > read the daily mail: intolerant and unable to

> find

> > the off button.

>

>

>

> theres no need for blasphemy.

But there is a need for some tolerance and balance. Loosen up!

Shops provide a service for which they get paid. They pay their staff who buy things from other shops. It's called life and we're all in it - we all work, earn, buy and in turn consume goods provided by others. Some choose to shop at Harrods, others at Lidl - each according to their choice and purse.

Criticise quality of goods / services by all means - but not the shop itself or the owner. If it's the wrong thing in the wrong place it will fail. If it serves a need and the price is right it will succceed. The great thing about a market economy and choice is that no one is forced to shop where they don't want to. LL is a vibrant market economy - if you're right and JoJO Mamam Bebe is awful it'll go under, if you're wrong it will still be around in five years time.

Marmora Man Wrote:

> Criticise quality of goods / services by all means

> - but not the shop itself or the owner. If it's

> the wrong thing in the wrong place it will fail.

I think we all basically accept that we live in a free market economy - i don't think any of us who object to the new shops are taking some kind of ethical / moral stance, it just offends our eyes to see these tacky places on our high street and we are exercising our free speech to say so. I'm not saying what's happening is unfair, I'm just saying I don't like it. James' original post didn't say "I hate cushion shops let's ban them", he expressed disbelief that there is apparently no market for veggie bars / record shops etc in ED. Maybe if enough of us complain about the new shops and say that we want X or Y instead, some entrepreneur will open a veggie place etc.

Or, if you're all that convinced that a cafe serving only vegetarian food will be such a success, you could start it up yourselves instead of waiting for "some entrepreneur" to do it, whilst complaining about every entrepreneur that dares to do something different?

But maybe deep down you realise that there's only so much nut roast you can sell in ED?

The shopkeepers that supply this tat do not serve any purpose other than lining their own pockets in the most sick way possible - through peoples innate love for their children.

As far as this statement goes, I sat near to Laura Tennison (founder of JoJoMamanBebe) at a business dinner a while back. I have to say I found it pretty inspiring to see someone build up a business from scratch (i.e. one part time employee - her) and she seemed incredibly committed to dealing head on with ethical and sustainable business concerns, as well as very nice. She also does a lot of mentoring for women who are setting up their own businesses.

I can't say if this is all just marketing b/s, but my personal sense is not (or not all of it), and at the least, she's doing a lot more than Primark to raise standards in developing countries IMHO.

That said, I'd much rather a sushi bar too, although I would have thought that would rely on much more of a flow of constant passing trade...

http://www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/about_jojo.php

sorry but this whole "if you think it would be so great, why don't you start it yourself" argument that always gets trotted out is a little childish.

although you are right, "alternative" shops are less likely to succeed, because there aren't as many "alternative" people in ED as there are YMs - that doesn't make it invalid for them to complain about this situation, however.

Maybe it was slightly tongue in cheek, but I think calling it childish is a bit pathetic. What's childish is throwing your virtual toys out of the pram because someone has dared to open up a shop that you don't like.

I was simply suggesting that if you feel that strongly about something, you could do something about it rather than waiting for some alternative-music loving, sushi-eating, vegetarian hippy with an entrepreneurial capitalist streak to open up this goldmine that ED so obviously needs.

So according to what you're saying we should only have shops that cater for the majority?

It's ignorant and childish to stereotype vegetarians as eating only nut roast. Considering around 1 in 7 of the population is vegetarian it is a little surprising that we have not one veggie restaurant.

The problem is that ED used to have more interesting "alternative" people before all these Claphamite dullards like you moved in. We could do with a little more diversity. Other parts of London do - so why not East Dulwich? I hope it happens fast before ED turns into a 3rd rate copy of Battersea.

calm down boys!!

james - people like you and me just have to accept the fact that we've lost. it is a third-rate battersea, it's beyond saving. just as us coming in got rid of all the chavs, the claphamites coming in are getting rid of us. there are other parts of london where our consumer needs will be met, it's time to find them and move to them. makes me sad cos i love this place but that's London for you.

wow, i am sometimes shocked at how arrogant and ridiculous some posts are on this forum. for an apparenlty tolerant city like london these swipes at the changing demography of the area smack sheer intolerance. a 3rd rate battersea, claphamites etc... do you know how insulting it is to people who live in areas/neighbourhoods that do not benefit from empty shops being filled and yet retaining your iceland and ?1 shops. if it really bothers you all that much move to brixton, queens road peckham, bermondsey...

ima claphamite who lived here back in 81/83. place is much better now.but yeah that jojojejemamabebe is wack. we got that area covered here already. though we are far past passport control. sushi bar sounds good hehe. northcote road is much worse than lordship will ever be. worth being here just for the northcross foodmarket/bakery stand on fri/sat.cd stand too. my ten pee.

mamafeelgood Wrote:

> wow, i am sometimes shocked at how arrogant and

> ridiculous some posts are on this forum. for an

> apparenlty tolerant city like london these swipes

> at the changing demography of the area smack sheer

> intolerance. a 3rd rate battersea, claphamites

> etc... do you know how insulting it is to people

> who live in areas/neighbourhoods that do not

> benefit from empty shops being filled and yet

> retaining your iceland and ?1 shops. if it really

> bothers you all that much move to brixton, queens

> road peckham, bermondsey...

Post of the year.

> Post of the year.

Don't think so.

Already been told that Iceland is not good enough for East Dulwich and old folk should walk to the Peckham Iceland.

Already been told to move out of my home area.

But, it is the first post about East Dulwich "pound shops". I don't know one. Perhaps this refers to A.J.Farmer no longer being good enough for East Dulwich.

No no no

you have it all wrong you see.

Expensive shops selling tat = good people + good area

Cheap shops selling tat = bad people + bad area

its ALL SO OBVIOUS!

How could I have been so blinkered.

Im sorry, I have to go now and find soemehwere else to live.Somewhere I will be with people of similar outlook and more importantly, wealth.

Teeside perhaps ? maybe Neson : Lancs ?

A sense of perspective might not go amiss round here sometimes. Does the replacement of a boarded up, rundown shop with a shop selling baby clothes and maternity wear improve that row of shops? Yes it does, regardless of whether you feel we 'need' that particular shop. Similarly, that row would have been improved by any shop/business opening up there, whether it sells clothes, music, food (veggie or otherwise) or anything else. Everyone has an opinion on what they would have liked to see there, but it's one thing to state what your opinion is and quite another to refuse to accept that anybody else's opinion can be valid.

Let's face it, it's a babywear shop, not the arrival of the apocalypse. I think people on here get a bit too caught up in the whole idea that ED is perfect just as it was 10 years ago and change should be banned. Nobody wants ED to become Clapham - one of the things that appealed to me about it was that it had such a strong sense of community, a good mix of people living happily side by side and a decent range of shops (both independent and chain). Some of my neighbours have been here since the 50's. Others like me have moved in more recently but that shouldn't make our opinions any less valid.

This thread has really annoyed me. JoJo is a fairly reasonably priced shop. If you really want to get exorcised about baby clothes and the cost of them may I suggest Bootiki (Melbourne Grove) or Raisin (on parade by the Green bar). See? These places have been existing right under your very eyes and you lot hadn't even noticed. Amazing isn't it that babywear shops have been here for ages! Expensive ones! Selling designer clothes at ridiculous prices!

Guess what JoJo also sell blankets. And reins. And safety equipment. And other items at a similar price to Mothercare (presumably noone is going to argue that Mothercare is an exorbitantly expensive upstart selling designer tat?)

A high street cannot exist on sushi bars and vegetarian book shops alone. A lot of you really need to get over yourselves. Live and let live.

And for the real masochists among you once you've been to Raisin and Bootiki, try Jo Partridge Kids on Upland Road. Guaranteed to get the bile flowing.