6 Lordship Lane (Lounged)

gingertom

What a bunch of Victor Meldrews you are!

Surely if there's a market for the shop it will succeed and one would think the proprieters have done their research. It's all part of the ED evolution for better or worse. Otherwise the choices are move somewhere else with the profits of gentrification, make a protest banner and march up and down or create what you want yourselves. I'd love to see a Sushi bar in ED. Anyone want to help me finance and set it up?

snorky Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> stupid clothes for lifes victims

>

> ther baby isnt bothered what it wears, as long as

> its comfortable,

>

> the retarded parents are using their precious

> offspring to advetrtise just how vulgar and

> ostentatious they really are

> a reflection of how one dimensional our society

> has become

Well said, Marcuse!

It is indeed a ridiculous name and their baby clothes are pretty pricey (in my opinion) but their maternity clothes are very reasonable (?30 for a pair of trousers) and, like it or not, there must be a market for that round here! As a pregnant lady myself I'll be pleased not to have to hike up to town for any maternity clothes or pay ridiculous boutique prices of the few options locally. Appreciate will not be useful to everybody round here but I wouldn't class it as an overpriced boutique.

But yes, a sushi place would be great.

James Wrote:

> Why not a cool veggie cafe?

> A Vietnamese or Japanese sushi bar?

> A laid-back, straight-friendly gay bar?

> A cool music or secondhand clothes shop?

>

> Why do we need another pointless boutique?

> AAAAAGH!!!

Ummm, maybe because all of those are going to appeal to very niche markets? And are unlikely to have the money to pay the rent? Just a thought...

And another pointless boutique is better than an empty shop or another pointless estate agent.

Um, isn't designer baby booties a bit of a niche market itself!?

Other parts of London have all of the things I have suggested but we have 400 mediocre curry houses and 236 shops selling baby booties and designer teapots. What is wrong with a bit of variety?

I'm just in the process of moving from Clapham/Battersea where there are plenty of baby/maternity shops (but we do have the highest population of toddlers in western europe). I think their baby clothes are quite reasonably priced. I've bought a few things for my son in there and they are made from nice materials and they aren't covered in gaudy Disney characters, unfunny slogans or corporate branding. Bearing in mind that until your little treasure starts throwing food over him/herself you don't need many baby clothes so a few nice ones are better than a lot of crap. I'd still look in Snapdragon first as an independent shop (not sure if they sell maternity wear).

as i understand the situation (it has been debated to death how upsetting the new shops are to some people) that we all have to wait for a restaurant to shut down as no more restaurant licences are going to be granted on lordship lane.

it would have been nice if jerk rock could have gone sushi wards rather than boutique, but even though i am not from clapham i have nothing against handbags at 'silly' prices etc.... so i shall continue to get my sushi delivered from fujiyama.

i do have children. i buy most of their clothes at sainsburys if that's ok with everyone but when a friend has a kid i quite like the choice of boutiques to buy them a quality pressie. therefore, the arrival of jojo bebe maman or whatever is no bad thing really ... as said above at least it's not an estate agent and opening an empty slot on the high street.

stupid clothes for lifes victims

ther baby isnt bothered what it wears, as long as its comfortable,

the retarded parents are using their precious offspring to advetrtise just how vulgar and ostentatious they really are

spending money on designer baby clothes is crass, grotesque , wasteful; and abhorrent

a reflection of how one dimensional our society has become

Aren't these the same people who can afford to splash out a few ?k on a Banksy so they can show their friends how cultured they are?

lozzyloz Wrote:

> stupid clothes for lifes victims

>

> ther baby isnt bothered what it wears, as long as

> its comfortable,

>

> the retarded parents are using their precious

> offspring to advetrtise just how vulgar and

> ostentatious they really are

>

> spending money on designer baby clothes is crass,

> grotesque , wasteful; and abhorrent

>

> a reflection of how one dimensional our society

> has become

>

> Aren't these the same people who can afford to

> splash out a few ?k on a Banksy so they can show

> their friends how cultured they are?

go on...

How people spend there own cash is up to them. Why does it need to be critised in such an abhorent way? Whether it's a pair of designer toddler jeans or a piece of art it's personal taste. No one forces you to like it or do the same. There are far worse things going on than a baby boutique opening up and selling to a market that obviously exists. It seems that the people knocking it haven't even shopped there.

I don't know much about baby clothes but this funny named shop JoJo Mama Tambien (or whatever) has this for ?10:

http://www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/prod_images/thumbnails/a8525.jpg

and Mothercare (a "non-boutique" place) has this for ?11:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41m75ikObzL._SY202_SX170_.jpg

now my maths tells me that Mothercare is one English pound more expensive than the other place for a similar item. Are people just assuming that a shop has a funny name and is therefore a boutique and therefore exclusive baby clothes that are over-priced or am I missing something? And to get this back on topic, is there already a decent priced baby clothes shop in the area?

I'm with James and Snorky on this one. Of course in a free market consumerist society people can spend their money on whatever they want. I just wish there weren't so many of them spending so much on such crap.

Also I have to just repeat, Jojo Maman Bebe is the single most obnoxious shop name I have ever heard. The more I think about it, the more sick I feel!

I am more than familiar with JoJo Baba etc.

The shopkeepers that supply this tat do not serve any purpose other than lining their own pockets in the most sick way possible - through peoples innate love for their children.

Shopkeepers dont serve the community - they serve themselves- some more than others

I ecven accept that even the rapacious and territorial chemists and estate agents that infest LL have some use - more use that this particular avenue of prospective retail delight.

JJMB are not upmarket - no more so than Mamas and Papas. Each to their own where they choose to buy their goods. If you don't like what's on the high street either don't patronise the establishment or open up your own place and put your money where your mouth is - let's test out those sure fire ideas of yours.

Mark Wrote:

> I don't know much about baby clothes but this

> funny named shop JoJo Mama Tambien has this for

> ?10:

>

> http://www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/prod_images/thumbna

> ils/a8525.jpg

>

> and Mothercare (a "non-boutique" place) has this

> for ?11:

>

> http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41m75ikObzL.

> _SY202_SX170_.jpg

>

> now my maths tells me that Mothercare is one

> English pound more expensive than the other place

> for a similar item. Are people just assuming that

> a shop has a funny name and is therefore a

> boutique and therefore exclusive baby clothes that

> are over-priced or am I missing something? And to

> get this back on topic, is there already a decent

> priced baby clothes shop in the area?

Yes.

Primark.

snorky Wrote:

> The shopkeepers that supply this tat do not serve

> any purpose other than lining their own pockets in

> the most sick way possible - through peoples

> innate love for their children.

Do you also have a sideline in complaining about TV programs that you object to but equally are not forced to watch?

snorky I like most of your posts but you do talk some bollox sometimes.

Having an innate love of your kids does not make you devoid of grey matter.

All shops (in other words a business) are in it for the profit (even a charity shop). If you don't turn over a profit you can't continue to provide a service no matter how irrelevant to you it might be. Ultimately the market dictates its existence.

jesus some people are either having a very good laugh on this forum or need to get out more. it's a flipping shop selling baby clothes, which incidently covers quite a massive market in the area. they're not out to get you. they're not out to physically harm you. they're not shoving a way of life down your throat.

you have a choice to go in or not.

i am starting to feel like i live in a neighbourhood full of mary whitehouse types that read the daily mail: intolerant and unable to find the off button.

mamafeelgood Wrote:

> jesus some people are either having a very good

> laugh on this forum or need to get out more. it's

> a flipping shop selling baby clothes, which

> incidently covers quite a massive market in the

> area. they're not out to get you. they're not out

> to physically harm you. they're not shoving a way

> of life down your throat.

>

> you have a choice to go in or not.

>