Football Focus

jenniejenjen10

mmmm......Well, I missed the first 20 minutes BUT didn't think Barcelona were soo amazing. Remember last year they were bleedin' lucky to get to that final...great footballers and team but if they fart the world and his wife says "Oooh the aroma, like fresh cut grass on a bueatiful spring morning"....and that's become the 'gospel'...not with me eyes but clearly for both the radio and TV commentary teams and no doubt the media tomorrow ther are gods, beyond mere mortals, blah di blah di blah.....

Mick let it go.

Great game and yes Barcelona had Arsenal shaking in that first 10 minutes. At the one point it looked like Arsenal players were hiding behind each other as Barca camped outside the box spraying circus balls back and forth over the chumps in red shirts. But then.. after 20 minutes the Arsenal started to build and gain confidence although they were still firmly second best. Overall though IMO it did not have the excitement and atmosphere from last night's clash in Munich.

ruffers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Did I hear it wrong or were there boo's as they

> went off at half time?

> Unbelievable.

The boos were for the Swiss referee who had a poor game. Lets hope we get a ref from a proper footballing nation in the next leg.

Really Arsenal could have been 4-0 down after 20 minutes, and would have been but for Almunia. Then he sent out his evil twin for the second half. The 2nd leg should be intriguing..no Barcelona 1st choice centre backs v a Fabregas-less Arsenal. I fear this time it may well be 4-0...

Ladygooner Wrote:

> ruffers Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Did I hear it wrong or were there boo's as they

> > went off at half time?

> > Unbelievable.

>

>

> The boos were for the Swiss referee who had a poor

> game. Lets hope we get a ref from a proper

> footballing nation in the next leg.

He did? Admittedly it was a soft penalty and especially sending off for Arsenal but what else did he do that was so bad?

Not seen Wenger's interview yet but I wonder if -

a) He admits they were beaten by a better team

b) He finds something else to blame

I thought Barcelona were superb and Arsenal were lucky. Fair play to them for showing the resolve to come back....but they were still lucky and have just postponed the inevitable: Defeat at the Nou Camp. Barcelona absolutely played Arsenal off the park in their own backyard. Let's make no mistake, it takes a special team to go to the ground of one of Europe's top teams and do that. Their passing and movement is exceptional but so too is their pressing play when they don't have the ball. Reminiscent of Arrigo Sacchi's great A C Milan side in the early nineties. I think in the end they probably paid the price for the amount of effort they put in with and without the ball and we're caught by Walcott's pace.

Quids said...

Take it from me Quids, Barca were amazing in the first 20mins, real exhibition stuff...over 60% possession for an away team at the Emirates is not bad eh?...still, they threw away a 2 goal lead so there's hope for L'Arse in the Nou Camp especially with Barca's centre backs suspended, though I realistically can't see beyond a comfortable 2-3 nil home win.

PS: If you can cheer on L'Arse you can vote Labour... ;-)

Not nice for Arsenal to be on the end of decisions that most clubs have to take for granted. Now I wish for away penalties at Man U, and Chelsea players having their noses and cheeks broken with no repercussions from the ref.

Arsenal were totally outclassed and could have been six-nil down after 20 minutes but fair play to them for getting back into the game. I thought the sending off was very harsh on Barcelona. But Walcott, come on really apart from the goal he may have blinding pace but he ran up blind alleys and kept giving the ball away. I just hope Aaron Lennon is fit for the World Cup.

Jah Lush Wrote:

> Arsenal were totally outclassed and could have

> been six-nil down after 20 minutes but fair play

> to them for getting back into the game. I thought

> the sending off was very harsh on Barcelona. But

> Walcott, come on really apart from the goal he may

> have blinding pace but he ran up blind alleys and

> kept giving the ball away.

Tony Daley?

Darren Huckerby? Once described as being like a "speedboat without a driver".

As an aside to last night, when the fuck did people start calling it "Camp Nou"? It's the Nou Camp! Nou. Camp. In that order. I don't care if the Spanish do it the other way around. Without coming across all Al Murray - this is England. English. Nou. Camp.

Or New Field. Even better.