Scotland Vs Italy

MrBen

Souness has just announced on radio that the correct tactics will be for us to hold them for 70 mins and then start attacking for the last 20. Like he would know! Great defender in the day but what a t*t.

I'm getting nervous now. And have already booked a consolation dinner with MrsBen in a local eatery to help me get over the result.

I am emotionally spent. But incredibly proud as to what Scotland managed to achieve in this campaign. If England played with half that passion they'd surely win the world cup every time. Great atomosphere in the EDT (thanks to Ray) never seen so many Scots out in SE22!

Bottom line - our goal was offside, their second one wasn't. But no way should that last free kick gone to Italy. I still feel robbed. But we are now second seeds for World Cup 2010. Good luck to the English against Croatia. I'm not sure you deserve it but I would like to see one UK team qualify for Austria. Even if its thanks to Israel! :)

And great to meet you good people from the forum. Sean, Floating Onion Mr & Mrs Assett, Michael P. Thanks for sharing it with me. See you all soon.

The bad: The result,obviously. MrBen is spot on with his observations on the goals but that doesn't take away from a very spirited second-half performance where I genuinely thought Scotland were going to go on and get a result. To perform so well in THAT group and to not qualify is gutting

The good: Everything else really. Superb atmosphere in the EDT, more Scots than I realised existed in SE22 and nary a hint of menace after the result went against them. The table we had ended up a fine mixture of forumites and partners. I had never met MrBen before and a fine fellow if ever I met one. Hello too to Mrs Ben and Mr Asset

Tillie Trotter (foxy new hair cut and all!) , Asset, Georgia, Mr Georgia, Mike Pay-lee-Oli-Gus, Floating Onion and Ally Cat were also present and on fine form. I, however, found myself one beer too many afloat so apologies for any lack of sense as the evening drifted on

The tournament will be all-the-worse for Scotland's absence, but let's enjoy it anyway!