Suggestions for this forum

Mark

This is an elementary site my dear Huguenot. There's always the temptation of adding widgets to forums; avatars, users rankings, scoring people, number of posts etc. but I currently want to avoid these. I believe those options scare off people who don't use forums frequently or who aren't web savvy and I just want to keep it simple and quick and accessible for all. It's nice to know how many people are registered or who's online at that moment but add those to users' photos, their scores etc. they do make unnecessary database calls which slow a forum down. I do like SE5's simplicity too however, in fact I almost set this site up using the software they use (SMF) but it wasn't possible to turn many of its features off, I prefer Phorum which is 'simplistically raw' and I can add features onto it.

And I think it's working. Yesterday was the busiest day ever with 400 visits which ain't bad considering I was originally expecting about 100 users a week. I would like to start advertising on the site (which will of course be subtle) so if you know any local companies who would benefit from a presence on this site please let me know.

cheers

Mark

Well I think those kind of scores are astounding - that must be 5% of the local population. Just imagine, next time you're in Somerfield half a dozen of the people around you are EDFers...

Oddly enough in a previous life I headed up sales for Yahoo! UK & Ireland. In these trying times I aim not to get out of bed for less than ten pounds a day, but I have been known to be susceptible to beer-related bribes. If you'd like to chat then mail me - we might be able to get a local business to cover part of your serving costs! :)

Hi Mark, is there a way on people's profile pages to show their latest postings?

One reason is that sometimes I inadvertently click on the link to the person that wrote the last post rather than the "last post" link.

This way I could carry on going forwards if I make the same mistake.

If you see what I mean!

:)

ahh, I see, so instead of clicking on 'Last Post' you click on the person's name which takes you to that person's profile rather than the last post. Why not train yourself to click on the last post link correctly? ;-)

I know what you mean, I do it myself. What I may do it remove the link to their profile on that page, then there won't be an profile link to click on (option one). This may be best because a) I doubt if many people want to see profiles directly from that page and b) it's a heck lot easier for me to do. Option two would be, as you suggested, have a link to view the person's last post (or even their last x posts) on their profile but that would be trickier but a nice feature. I'll look into option two but I shall implement option one soon and let me know if you like it

cheers

Mark

• 1 month later...

You can perform an author search on the search page e.g. mockney piers. But to try and make lief a little easier for you, I shall see if I can make a link on user's profile page that says "view all post by *username* which will perform this search when clicked.

OK, managed it. When you look at someone's profile you'll see a link to 'view all posts by *username*, click it and guess what you see? Try it on the profile of Mockney Piers

[edited once]

Incidentally - one for later...

How about each user being able to nominate their top 3 local curry houses/pubs/greasy spooons/retailers etc. as part of their own profile? Users could change it at any point just by visiting their own profile and clicking the relevant radio button.

To get the current league table in any one outlet type, the system could add up the total points of all users active in say the last month. This discourages abuse through false registration, and allows for real time rewriting of league tables as management change their approach/products etc.

It would create a sort of local 'buzz' index which would encourage local retailers to regularly review it, to check the success of local promotions etc.

It would encourage local reatilers to regularly promote themselves and their current offers live on the site.

It has the potential to be a patentable killer app for a local forum site...

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Admarkistrator,

I am a lazy cur and would dearly love not to have to scroll up from the bottom of a thread to get to the navigtion links (the you are here, jump to... ones).

What's the chance of another set at the bottom, perhaps between the bit for navigating within the thread and the box for posting your own new message?

Much appreciated.

I would recommend firefox users to get the mouse gestures extension

here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/39

It makes navigating so easy, a quick flick o' the wrist and you're back in the lounge or home page.

It's built in to opera, but internet explorer users will forever have to look for that piddly back or forward button.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o41/surfson/smee.jpg

Hi everyone,

It would be fun to be able to build an avatar or fun image of ourselves and add

it to our profiles for all to see.

Heres one a made earlier of me, a great likeness,what do youze lot think.

Click here to build yours

Regards, John

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o41/surfson/1sXarLcqzAAEBJIFUcJP2Q5BSGQ.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o41/surfson/avitar.png

• 2 weeks later...