Moving to East Dulwich (Lounged)

Ideatori

if i were you, I would head to the bottom end of lordship lane, to the SE22/SE15 borders. in the bellenden area, you are close to Peckham rye station which has very frequent trains to city and victoria. The top end of lordship lane is miles from a station which means you have to brave the buses (sorry bus fans). at the goose green end, because of the proximity to LL people tend to walk about - a much friendlier area than the top end near library, where people seem to drive from their houses. If you like quiet solitude and nobody about, then the top end is for you

*Bob* Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It's not so much a glossy view of ED.. more a

> realistic view of other areas, based on.. you

> know.. having lived there.

>

> 'Muggers paradise'. Ridiculous.

Tell that too the many people who have been viciously mugged in and around ED

*Bob* Wrote:

> How many? Any more than anywhere else?

>

> Nope.

Your "nope" suggests that you have already answered your own questions.

I am not comparing ED to any other area , just warning people that there are active vicious muggers in the area and they should be very careful about believing all the crap that is being written on this forum about the wonderful ED.

It's like saying Peckham or Motorbikes are dangerous and that all old people going out at night will be mugged. Can't stand these generalisations. It's also a class issue. My mate used to work at Chelsea Police station and the amount of streetcrime in posh streets round Sloane Square was as bad or good as anywhere else. It just wasn't reported. Also, define crime! In the posh offices and companies everywhere, crime is being committed when companies get out of paying taxes or create waste that is not recycled.... I'll get me coat.

Michael Palaeologus Wrote:

> Yes Ibo for once give us some hard facts instead

> of received wisdom. How many muggings, how many as

> a percentage of the population, rate of increase

> in muggings?

>

> Muggings have happened and will happen, they

> happen all over London and everywhere. How is ED a

> muggers paradise?

Well . in the last 12 months I know of three muggings just in Barry and Upland Roads that were quite nasty , and that is just a small part of ED

*Bob* Wrote:

> ibo Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > THe areas surrounding ED are muggers paradise .

>

> In what way is the above *not* comparing ED to

> other areas, exactly?

OK , fair enough lets stick to ED muggings where they are so bad once does not need to compare them to anywhere else.

PeckhamRose Wrote:

> It's like saying Peckham or Motorbikes are

> dangerous and that all old people going out at

> night will be mugged. Can't stand these

> generalisations. It's also a class issue. My mate

> used to work at Chelsea Police station and the

> amount of streetcrime in posh streets round Sloane

> Square was as bad or good as anywhere else. It

> just wasn't reported. Also, define crime! In the

> posh offices and companies everywhere, crime is

> being committed when companies get out of paying

> taxes or create waste that is not recycled....

> I'll get me coat.

There is a lot of truth in your comments Rossy. The majority of comments on this forum can be said to be generalizations , especially ones exalting the virtues of living in ED.

Ibo - The difference being that those exaling the virtues of ED are giving their opinion on a subjective issue - do they or do they not like ED? People generally give examples of what they like e.g. North Cross Road market, Green and Blue, The Mirash.

You made a statement of fact re muggings in ED. So far the only evidence that you know of 3 muggings in the past 12 months. VERY traumatic for those involved and all such assaults should be treated seriously; but to define an area by these occurences is not credible.

to be SLIGHTLY fair to ibo, muggings and other incidents do occur. It is after all London

Where we differ is, as others have pointed out, compared to other parts of London (and if you are moving here you WILL be comparing other parts of London) it's pretty good. And having made the choice to live here, in the full knowledge that bad things do happen in this world (hold the front page) it's far better for one's sanity to focus on the good things

Doesn't mean we ignore bad things, just put them in their proper context. And to be frank, if this was a forum full of people baging on about every bad thing that happened, most of us wouldn't be here