Moving to ED.

A rather naive sounding American logs on to East Dulwich forum (having registered) to announce he's coming to live in East Dulwich (why East Dulwich?), then starts asking whether East Dulwich is near London, and how many quids you get for a dollar. I applaud Forumites for being so welcoming, but doesn't this whole thread strike anyone as a bit odd?

It's good though. Tell us some more Kyle.

What do you want to do for a job? If you would like to be an estate agent then I have a friend at Foxtons who would be happy to look over your CV.

Or perhaps you'd like to be an organic butcher or vendor of fine soap...

I'm sure you'll find your niche in East Dulwich.

How did you find this site? What was it that captured your interest? Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

No need to worry about the minimum wage in East Dulwich. It's now an affluent area and the Lordship Lane bars pay around twice the minimum wage (cUS$23 p/h). No need for a work permit either: you get a job and then visit the Department of Work and Pensions office at Peckham. You tell them where you have started work and ask for a National Insurance Number.

um....the immigration advice leaves something to be desired. If you are looking at coming to the UK, I suggest you go to a US - UK expat site where they will give you information on the immigration requirements. It is necessary to have a work visa before you come over if you have any intention on working here, and you must fill a gap within the market to get a work visa. They are not easy to get despite what papers may tell you. You will almost definately need a degree. If you come over on a work visa, it is not necessary to have a return ticket. If you come over on a regular 6 month visitor visa, you may seek employment and try and get someone to sponsor you but it is difficult and costly process and generally only larger corporations are willing to go through the hassle. A bar will not just hire you to work and then you get a NI number. That's not how it works. I would go as I said before to a UK-US expat site and see if you meet any of the requirements.

If this is geniune which I'm doubting, your best bet is to come over as an overseas student. Find a US university that has a study in England option - lots of US colleges do this and this is how I first landed on these shores nearly 20 years ago. Then, as a student you can apply for an overseas student work visa which allows you to work up to 15 hours a week. Once you are in the UK studying and working part time, you might find an organisation or company that wishes to sponser you for a visa but since you haven't gone to unverisity and don't have a speciality area this is unlikely. As Meg said, you must fill a gap in the market otherwise. Just go to college/university somewhere in the US -out of Ohio before trying to build a life in a new country. Try New York City if you want a change of pace

I don't see any reason to doubt Kyle's authenticity... if it's a hoax, it's quite a boring one. However, he appears to be quite a naive young man. My advice :

-don't bother coming with less than ?3000, otherwise you'll run out pretty quickly.

-Stay in a hostel until you find some sort of work.

-Leave valuables at home with your folks in Ohio.

-Start changing your money (or at least some of it) into GBP now, in case the exchange rate dives again while you're still saving.

-Come equipped with either a work permit of some sort, or a ticket for a return flight.

Why would anyone bother making this up, as Jeremy says, it would win awards for most dull hoax ever!

Kyle does sound very young though.

Kyle, you should go to Amsterdam in the Netherlands (Holland), it's just the place for a young man to have some new experiences.

> I have my work permit and my Passport already.

Cripes!! (as you will discover we English always say) that was quick! Only yesterday you said:

"I'm currently only researching right now, First I'm going to work on my passport than work visa".

KyleMonroe Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> No thanks. I have my eyes set on where I'm going.

> =)

> I have my work permit and my Passport already.

> No this isn't a spoof. Why would someone bother

> posting,

> False stuff on a village forum?

Who knows? But, have you ever spent time in a Turkish prison?

Here's another helpful tip if you get a bartender job in a bar like The Castle.

Bartender tips here do not work the same way as they do in Ohio. It's a little more subtle than a bowl or glass on the bar where the customers put their tips.

So if you are working at The Castle and a customer says something like "Have one on me" this means the customer does not want any change from their ?20 bill - the change is your tip.