CPZ: Proposed Controlled Parking in East Dulwich

"The irony of driving to the leisure centre!" Indeed, but to be fair there are some who need to drive but do not qualify for a blue badge. Also, though perhaps not in the case of the Leisure Centre, anyone organising activities at other community facilities may need to carry equipment, so need parking close by, typically for a couple of hours.

The plans show pay-to-park sections (shared with permit parking) close to the Leisure Centre and to other community facilities, eg Goose Green Centre and the East Dulwich Community Centre. If the CPZ restrictions are to be all day, the pay-to-park bays would be necessary as the only available parking for non-residents. However if the CPZ is to operate for only a couple of hours in the day, those bays will likely be blocked by all day parkers, paying by phone for those couple of hours, and thus totally unavailable for the users of the community facility.

MarkT

Get rid of your cars, pick up a bike, a scooter, a broomstick, whatever. There are also plenty of buses to get around ED (if you hadn?t noticed already).

There is absolutely 0 yes zero reason to use a car in this area. Stop polluting our air and killing our children enough is enough.

If you can?t drive your 4x4 to buy a coffee, or pick up some organic free range milk from M&S, or drive little Theodore to school then boo-bloody-hoo.

If we continue making these endlessly pointless car trips we are hurtling towards an unavoidable and inevitable carmaggedon.

What is this consultation pack that people are referring to ? Is it a hard copy delivered through the letterbox ?

How can I get a hard copy of the plans ?

Does seem a very short consultation period .And only ONE drop in session for non business people ?

I see that where there are existing dropped curbs giving access to forecourt parking new double yellow lines are proposed extending across the dropped curb and either side of the access . Presumably to aid vision .And decreasing parking .

Does anyone know the measurement being used to determine the extent of restricted parking either side ?

TheCropolite Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Get rid of your cars, pick up a bike, a scooter, a

> broomstick, whatever. There are also plenty of

> buses to get around ED (if you hadn?t noticed

> already).

>

> There is absolutely 0 yes zero reason to use a car

> in this area. Stop polluting our air and killing

> our children enough is enough.

>

> If you can?t drive your 4x4 to buy a coffee, or

> pick up some organic free range milk from M&S, or

> drive little Theodore to school then

> boo-bloody-hoo.

>

> If we continue making these endlessly pointless

> car trips we are hurtling towards an unavoidable

> and inevitable carmaggedon.

Well said, couldn?t agree more. Unfortunately we?re all caught up with our busy busy lives trying to cram in as much as possible and the car is currently an easy first choice for those who aren?t aware of the impacts of air pollution.

Research released at the end of 2018 shows that for children, living in an area with NO2 above 40.7ugm3 is equivalent to a reduction in lung volume of 5%. https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpub/article/PIIS2468-2667(18)30202-0/fulltext

Much worse levels have been recorded than this in East Dulwich!

If a CPZ makes drivers think twice about using their cars for short journeys and reduces the amount of cars circling trying find the last remaining space that?s worth paying ?125 (?2.40 equiv per week) for our children to breath less toxic air.

intexasatthe moment Wrote:

> What is this consultation pack that people are

> referring to ? Is it a hard copy delivered through

> the letterbox ?

>

> How can I get a hard copy of the plans ?

>

> Does seem a very short consultation period .And

> only ONE drop in session for non business people

> ?

>

>

My pack was delivered on Saturday but the same documents can be downloaded from here (separate ones for West Peckham and East Dulwich).

https://www.southwark.gov.uk/parking/parking-projects

The consultation has now been extended to 7th Feb due to "due to late mail delivery of consultation information" - (Hmm..no surprise there then).

https://consultations.southwark.gov.uk/environment-leisure/eastdulwichparking/

ed_pete Wrote:

> The consultation has now been extended to 7th Feb

> due to "due to late mail delivery of consultation

> information" - (Hmm..no surprise there then).

Important to note that the Peckham West consultation has not been extended, only the East Dulwich one. I know there are two threads, but I want to ensure there's no confusion.

My heart sank when I saw this. While we all struggle to park sometimes I think this is preferrable to the beaurocracy of the dreaded "Controlled Parking Zone!" It even sounds like something lifted straight from communist rhetoric, what's next, "Controlled Working Zones?" Ok I'm being facetious but everyone I know who has voted for or had a CPZ system imposed on them has regretted it afterwards. The initial decrease in parked car is extremely short lived and then you're back where you started except that you have to pay ?125 a year for the pleasure and deal with all the accidentally incorrectly issued parking tickets. It's also embarrassing when the parents stop by on an impromptu visit to see the grand kids and end up getting a ticket. Do you really want Parking Officers marching up and down your road taking photos of cars, doling out misery wherever possible? I don't see why we have to pay either. As residents the permits should be free, the increased revenue the council will receive in parking tickets would easily pay for some line painting and for some signposts. Please don't be fooled in to believing that the council need your ?125 to fund this folly. if 4000 cars apply for permits it comes to half a million pounds and this figure is paid every 12 months. Are they going to put new signposts up and repaint the lines every year? Of course not, it's a cash cow that just keeps paying out. How much do you think it actually costs to put up some signposts and to paint the white lines? Please please object to this...

bels123 Wrote:

> If a CPZ makes drivers think twice about using

> their cars for short journeys and reduces the

> amount of cars circling trying find the last

> remaining space that?s worth paying ?125 (?2.40

> equiv per week)

I'm not sure it's going to do either of those things.

It's a cash grab by the council

Apart from a few peak times (eg Saturday lunchtime) parking really isn't an issue - and I live on a road off the main strip

Finally it will be detrimental to the many restaurants and shops on the lane that give East Dulwich its character

Older locals may remember when both Peckham and the Walworth Road still had some shops that attracted wider buisness than just locals before parking controls were imposed.

>If a CPZ makes drivers think twice about using their cars for short journeys and reduces the amount of cars circling trying find the last remaining space that?s worth paying ?125

Spoken like someone with money to burn, or who doesn't actually drive.

Locals don't but people from 'reasonably' nearby. Herne Hill, The Village,Camberwell etc just won't come to visit on public transport or walk, especially if wet or cold, nearly as much - local small retailers have it tough enough already without taking away non-local shopping traffic, even at the margins. A money grab.

People are missing the point - this does nothing to alleviate parking congestion - it merely provides the council with a revenue stream - and in the process harms the fabric of what makes LL and the surrounding areas so great.

Look closely at what is being suggested:

- paid-for bays that you can pay for from your phone. This does nothing to alleviate commuter traffic as most commuters will probably pay the few pounds for the controlled hours via their phone. Make it a machine payment only and the problem goes away.

- the paid-for bays can also be used by permit holders meaning areas such as the leisure centre could have no parking spaces for anyone looking to drive who doesn't live within that zone.

And to comments such as "The irony of driving to the leisure centre!" the catchment area is much broader than just up to, say, a mile in any direction - you may live close enough to do that but many people are aren't able to, or have the time to, mobilise themselves or their flock as efficiently as you can. That shouldn't preclude them from being able to use the facilities which these proposals likely will.

CPZs do nothing to reduce car ownership it merely allows local councils to tax people for it.

I am sure those banging the "stop using cars" drum will be the first to start mourning the loss of shops and outlets on LL. And their protestations on why and how people should use/not use their cars are not realistic.

The Lane has prospered because it provides options other than supermarkets and many people drive to the Lane to use those shops and facilities and will likely think twice about doing so with the CPZ. This creates risk for the businesses on the Lane and I, for one, don't want to lose what makes where we live so great.

If it's not broken, don't fix it.

Rockets Wrote:

> - paid-for bays that you can pay for from your

> phone. This does nothing to alleviate commuter

> traffic as most commuters will probably pay the

> few pounds for the controlled hours via their

> phone. Make it a machine payment only and the

> problem goes away.

At least in the West Peckham CPZ consultation, the number of paid bays is tiny. So if there are a significant number of commuters (I don't know if there are) then they are likely to be squeezed out.

Suggest exeryone take a stroll down Lordship Lane and take note of resent closures and empty units vs a couple of new entrants. Discouraging shoppers and ?500 pa. Business charge per car will not help this state of affairs.

It might also be worth counting the number of electric charging points, it won?t take long! If there is a serious desire to reduce emissions then Southwark need to up their game

Why are so many Doctors bays required?

Understandable outside a GP surgery but I don?t really get the rationale for so many (when Doctors will also have Medical parking badges)

An example is the junction of Worlingham and East Dulwich Road (Map 2 of the proposal) there are a strip of Doctors bats proposed which would be a long enough space for 7 cars?! No surgery is close other than Goose Green Clinic but that is just for yoga.

I don't know why it is that so many people assume that their experience must be everyone's. We also live on a road off LL and I can state categorically that there is no way (other than pure luck) of getting a space between 8.30 and 6 within 5m walk of our house. The demand for these spaces is enormous and getting worse. Has been for the entire time we've lived here.

I will rejoice when the CPZ arrives.

Yes well said Rockets, of course this is just an earner for the council despite what they claim. I can't believe they're using some scheme from Philadelphia to build a case for their CPZ proposal. The pictures in their leaflet of clusters of chairs in the middle of the road supposedly called "parklets" were hilarious.

If you intoduce CPZs there will be more space for the first few months but then after a few months you're back to square one. Only difference is you're now paying to park on a bit of the road you're already paying for with your road tax. And it's forever!

So obviously there are costs to install the posts, signage and white line at the start, but once you've paid for them it's a money machine. You have thousands of residents paying ?125 a year, a massive increase in parking tickets, pay by phone parking and visitor permits. I still don't see why residents should have to pay at all, let the parking tickets and visitors permits fund the running costs. It might take longer to make up the start up cost but if this is actually for our benefit so what?

Anyway, forums are one thing but we must all make sure that we fill out the surveys and return them.

Worldwiser,

You'll be rejoicing for about 6 months and then it'll be just like it is now. Talk to anyone who's been through this in any other London borough. The only problem is once you realise this it'll be too late because even though you still won't be able to park, you'll be paying ?125 for the pleasure and every time someone comes to visit you they'll get a ticket.