CPZ: Proposed Controlled Parking in East Dulwich

Abe

I don't know where the cars come from. I guess they just return from wherever their owners have temporarily moved them to because they didn't want to pay for permits when the CPZ first comes in. But then after a while they relent to it and just pay. Where do you think all the cars that are here at the moment are going to go? Look at any other London borough and talk to people who have experienced it.

My work regularly takes me to three London boroughs - Islington, Haringey and Hammersmith & Fulham. Parking in all of those areas is a breeze for residents. And in two of them I saw what it was like before they transitioned. So I'll be looking forward to some of what the rest of London has. And 2.50 for a day guest permit is fine with me. Probably even less if they go for the part day restriction.

The 'you won't have anywhere to park' line is utter rubbish.The toastrack CPZ has been in operation for 18 months and there is a consistent huge increase in parking spaces relative to what was before. Southwark have significant evidence to show a 40% drop in parking levels post CPZ implementation which carries on the for the long haul. CPZ implementation makes a massive difference to freeing up spaces in the area.

If you look at the provision of spaces to residences, the CPZ pack will usually break down how many car parking spaces there are versus how many houses exist. Its really clear that there is more than ample space for residents to park, so the only way this is changing is if residents start buying lots and lots of new cars.

I've heard a lot of utter rubbish about CPZ, such as the idea its a tax - which it isn't, they are mandated by law to spend the money raised on parking, and if you have evidence to the contrary then I strongly recommend you contact the Police. The 'no space will be there' is just utterly untrue without a shred of credible evidence to support this assertion.

worldwiser Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I don't know why it is that so many people assume

> that their experience must be everyone's. We also

> live on a road off LL and I can state

> categorically that there is no way (other than

> pure luck) of getting a space between 8.30 and 6

> within 5m walk of our house. The demand for these

> spaces is enormous and getting worse. Has been for

> the entire time we've lived here.

>

> I will rejoice when the CPZ arrives.

I live close to the cinema and in my experience the busiest time on the side roads off LL is Saturday when the North Cross Road market is on. Any other time there are always parking spaces within 5 minutes walk of my house. For me, a 5 minute radius around my house is roughly the area between Crystal Palace Road and the Melbourne/EDG junction, and anywhere on LL between the Goose Green roundabout and Pellatt Road. I've never, ever seen ED so busy that I can't find a space in that area.

This morning I walked down Chesterfield and Melbourne Grove on the way to the station and there were several spaces available at 8:30. Yesterday I left work early, got back to ED around 5 and there were loads of spaces on North Cross Road, Shawbury, Hansler etc. as well as on LL itself. Fellbrigg always has space during the week. Always. Maybe it's different for the side roads up by the roundabout, but a bit further down LL there is simply no need for a CPZ.

Cardelia Wrote:

> worldwiser Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I don't know why it is that so many people

> assume

> > that their experience must be everyone's. We

> also

> > live on a road off LL and I can state

> > categorically that there is no way (other than

> > pure luck) of getting a space between 8.30 and

> 6

> > within 5m walk of our house. The demand for

> these

> > spaces is enormous and getting worse. Has been

> for

> > the entire time we've lived here.

> >

> > I will rejoice when the CPZ arrives.

>

> I live close to the cinema and in my experience

> the busiest time on the side roads off LL is

> Saturday when the North Cross Road market is on.

> Any other time there are always parking spaces

> within 5 minutes walk of my house. For me, a 5

> minute radius around my house is roughly the area

> between Crystal Palace Road and the Melbourne/EDG

> junction, and anywhere on LL between the Goose

> Green roundabout and Pellatt Road. I've never,

> ever seen ED so busy that I can't find a space in

> that area.

>

> This morning I walked down Chesterfield and

> Melbourne Grove on the way to the station and

> there were several spaces available at 8:30.

> Yesterday I left work early, got back to ED around

> 5 and there were loads of spaces on North Cross

> Road, Shawbury, Hansler etc. as well as on LL

> itself. Fellbrigg always has space during the

> week. Always. Maybe it's different for the side

> roads up by the roundabout, but a bit further down

> LL there is simply no need for a CPZ.

We must live close to each other. Totally agree. Sat sometimes I have to park 1 or 2 roads from my house. I have always taken the view it?s a good thing because it means the gym/the butcher/the cinerma etc etc are busy.

I agree - east of LL, saturday's the only issue for me from 10-4ish, and then going a bit further down whateley Road or Cyrenia/Silvester always delivers a space. This will cut footfall on Lordship Lane and so more restaurants, bars and shops will go bust, people really need to be carefull about what they wish for.

Jimlad - tHe Toast Rack CPZ is that linked to a vibrant high street with lovely retail choices or just a residential area relatively near a station? I'm not worried about the cost and would benefit from guaranteed parking but I don't want Lordship Lanes shopping/eating/drinking options ruined.

> The 'you won't have anywhere to park' line is utter rubbish.The toastrack CPZ has been in operation for 18 months and there is a consistent huge increase in parking spaces relative to what was before.

That was never the objection - in fact what you are saying really supports what most people are objecting to. Even a small fee appears to have a large deterrent effect on people coming and looking to park. That can only be bad for shops/restaurants in the area. Since there appears to be almost nobody actually complaining that there aren't parking spaces, you have to question the rationale for these CPZs.

Unless of course you believe the council is trying to pursue an ideologically anti-car agenda...

jimlad48 Wrote:

> The 'you won't have anywhere to park' line is

> utter rubbish.The toastrack CPZ has been in

> operation for 18 months and there is a consistent

> huge increase in parking spaces relative to what

> was before. Southwark have significant evidence to

> show a 40% drop in parking levels post CPZ

> implementation which carries on the for the long

> haul. CPZ implementation makes a massive

> difference to freeing up spaces in the area.

>

> If you look at the provision of spaces to

> residences, the CPZ pack will usually break down

> how many car parking spaces there are versus how

> many houses exist. Its really clear that there is

> more than ample space for residents to park, so

> the only way this is changing is if residents

> start buying lots and lots of new cars.

>

> I've heard a lot of utter rubbish about CPZ, such

> as the idea its a tax - which it isn't, they are

> mandated by law to spend the money raised on

> parking, and if you have evidence to the contrary

> then I strongly recommend you contact the Police.

> The 'no space will be there' is just utterly

> untrue without a shred of credible evidence to

> support this assertion.

Why dont you mention you are a full day CPZ and all surrounding roads are also full day CPZ's.Of course there will be more spaces pushing your lost traffic elsewhere.

Most people outside of your CPZ wanted full day, just like you, but were turned down even when the majority % wanted it

I've heard a lot of utter rubbish about CPZ, such

> as the idea its a tax - which it isn't, they are

> mandated by law to spend the money raised on

> parking, and if you have evidence to the contrary

> then I strongly recommend you contact the Police.

> The 'no space will be there' is just utterly

> untrue without a shred of credible evidence to

> support this assertion.

Of course it is a tax. It is a well known tactic by councils to generate revenue to fund other areas of council activities by asserting charges on people who, invariably, already pay tax to fund those said services. Southwark council have been circling around East Dulwich like vultures seeing the regeneration of the area and thinking - how can we get a piece of that - and the CPZ is their vehicle and the yellow-line extension was phase one of their grand plan - completely unwarranted but designed to create parking pressure.

Trust me this project started in the council with someone saying - go and work out the revenue from a CPZ in East Dulwich.

As a lot of people have pointed out there seems to be a blatant disregard for how much impact this will have on the Lane but then, as someone so wonderfully stated previously, perhaps because Theodore and his muumy want to shop in M&S that that counts for nothing!!!

I never use my car when visiting any part of Lordship Lane as there is no need as bus service is good and I can walk up NX road to purchase goods. I have a car and it is essential - I use it to visit my children and grandchildren who live outside London. I have relatives who are not in best of health and I need to get to them quickly at times. I am a volunteer who regularly provides lift for less mobile older people throughout ED. Car parking is bad in my street mainly because houses are multi occupied (2 - 4 flats) Many of the residents have 2 cars each. I am against CPZ as having worked in borough's where these are in place - they are not the answer that many people feel.

One or two roads, I have no problem with. Today at 11am Crawthew, Frogley, Spurling, Worlingham, Lacon, Nutfield, Archdale, Ashbourne, Matham and North Cross were all 100% full. I'm delighted to hear that there are parking paradises elsewhere in ED but where we are the situation is utterly dysfunctional. A CPZ is nothing short of a necessity and you will hear yelps of joy from our entire street when they start painting the lines. I'll be the one handing them cups of tea and biscuits.

I live on Barry Rd and I don't see people having trouble finding places to park .Of course it's a long road and there may be pressure on spaces at the north end near Peckham Rye .

I am concerned however by the proposal to restrict parking by having yellow lines across all existing dropped curbs and extending each side . This will remove a number of spaces .

Would someone be able to explain how implementing a CPZ will increase car spaces for residents? Are a lot of cars that are currently parked in East Dulwich being parked and left on our streets by people from other boroughs, and once there is a CPZ all those cars will disappear? I'm genuinely interested to know how this works.

. The idea that restaurants will close is nonsensical. CPZ usually close by 6.30pm, hardly likely to defer business. The CPZ deters commuters, not locals.

If you live locally you wont chabge your activity pattern. If you commute then you are unlikely to contribute much anyway beyond parking. If you are a visitor who can afford to go out for coffee or food then you can afford to pay to park too.

jimlad48 Wrote:

> . The idea that restaurants will close is

> nonsensical. CPZ usually close by 6.30pm, hardly

> likely to defer business. The CPZ deters

> commuters, not locals.

> If you live locally you wont chabge your activity

> pattern. If you commute then you are unlikely to

> contribute much anyway beyond parking. If you are

> a visitor who can afford to go out for coffee or

> food then you can afford to pay to park too.

A lot of restaurants and cafes are open all day.

smartie1 Wrote:

> Why are so many Doctors bays required?

> Understandable outside a GP surgery but I don?t

> really get the rationale for so many (when Doctors

> will also have Medical parking badges)

> An example is the junction of Worlingham and East

> Dulwich Road (Map 2 of the proposal) there are a

> strip of Doctors bats proposed which would be a

> long enough space for 7 cars?! No surgery is close

> other than Goose Green Clinic but that is just for

> yoga.

I initially thought this as well and was struggling to work out how it could be, but I think these are shared 'permit and paid bays' rather than doctors bay. The colours on the map key are identical so it's extremely difficult to tell them apart.

I notice that cars, when parked in bays made for several vehicles or on streets, often don't do so fairly. They tend to leave bigger gaps than necessary or refuse to park right up to the end of the bay, leaving just enough room for a motorbike. Do they fear getting wedged in or are they simply not that bothered about their fellow motorist?

Totally against the CPZ to East Dulwich. It?s a joke how much it costs and even to have a friend or family member over to stay. ?25 per day. What a joke!

If all the demands came from the area around the station then why not enforce it there for a couple hours mid morning

So people want more spaces and they are going to put 2 meter lines either side of dipped Kurb bays, resulting in home owners not parking in front of their drives....how does this make sense???

Then adding to this by removing more spaces to seats (do people seriously want this?)

Johnny Dulwich Wrote:

> My heart sank when I saw this. While we all

> struggle to park sometimes I think this is

> preferrable to the beaurocracy of the dreaded

> "Controlled Parking Zone!" It even sounds like

> something lifted straight from communist rhetoric,

> what's next, "Controlled Working Zones?" Ok I'm

> being facetious but everyone I know who has voted

> for or had a CPZ system imposed on them has

> regretted it afterwards. The initial decrease in

> parked car is extremely short lived and then

> you're back where you started except that you have

> to pay ?125 a year for the pleasure and deal with

> all the accidentally incorrectly issued parking

> tickets. It's also embarrassing when the parents

> stop by on an impromptu visit to see the grand

> kids and end up getting a ticket. Do you really

> want Parking Officers marching up and down your

> road taking photos of cars, doling out misery

> wherever possible? I don't see why we have to pay

> either. As residents the permits should be free,

> the increased revenue the council will receive in

> parking tickets would easily pay for some line

> painting and for some signposts. Please don't be

> fooled in to believing that the council need your

> ?125 to fund this folly. if 4000 cars apply for

> permits it comes to half a million pounds and this

> figure is paid every 12 months. Are they going to

> put new signposts up and repaint the lines every

> year? Of course not, it's a cash cow that just

> keeps paying out. How much do you think it

> actually costs to put up some signposts and to

> paint the white lines? Please please object to

> this...

Agree with all this.

bilksy Wrote:

> Totally against the CPZ to East Dulwich. It?s a

> joke how much it costs and even to have a friend

> or family member over to stay. ?25 per day. What a

> joke!

>

It?s ?2.50 a day if you buy a pack of 10 x 1 day stays (?25 for all ten)

Galileo Wrote:

> bilksy Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Totally against the CPZ to East Dulwich. It?s a

> > joke how much it costs and even to have a

> friend

> > or family member over to stay. ?25 per day. What

> a

> > joke!

> >

>

>

> It?s ?2.50 a day if you buy a pack of 10 x 1 day

> stays (?25 for all ten)

Still ridiculous in my opinion. To pay to have people to come visit.

If you live by the station like me, then you?re paying to ENABLE people to visit.

The number of times my sister-in-law has driven over for the weekend from Potters Bar only to have to park streets away and lug the kids and all the related paraphernalia they come with for ages along with having two small kids with her who keep diving for the road and running off, it?s really frustrating. Then come 7pm/8pm the road clears out when the commuters go home.