Putting items in your calico bag before you've paid for them?

hellosailor Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I?m confused, does the OP mean he/she co owns the

> co-op?

No, she (it's a she because she has put her real name on a post in a previous thread - click on her name and you can see the previous posts) means she has one of those yellow Co-Op cards which give you money back because you are a "member" of the Co-Op.

It's a bit like the divi was, back in the day.

Thousands and thousands of people own the Co-Op :)

Sue Wrote:

> hellosailor Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I?m confused, does the OP mean he/she co owns

> the

> > co-op?

>

>

> No, she (it's a she because she has put her real

> name on a post in a previous thread - click on her

> name and you can see the previous posts) means she

> has one of those yellow Co-Op cards which give you

> money back because you are a "member" of the

> Co-Op.

>

> It's a bit like the divi was, back in the day.

>

> Thousands and thousands of people own the Co-Op :)

This is fairly mind boggling then. I?m rather impressed the shopper managed to keep their temper. Or is it a wind up?

BusyRabbit Wrote:

> Thanks.

>

> I didn't accuse the man of shoplifting,

"Again, I was assertive but polite. I said ?Well, as a co-owner of this business, I?m not happy with it, it makes things very much more difficult for staff to detect and challenge theft. So please could you stop.?

The man continued putting items directly in his calico bag."

I would take this as very close to an accusation of shoplifting.

He obvioulsy thinks you are an absolute nutter, and decided to politley decline the controlling behaviour request.

I do this in the Coop and elsewhere including Sainsbury's - I am also a shareholder of the coop btw

Basically, it is alot easier to put your shopping in a shopping bag that you are carrying rather than carry an awkward basket around with you as well as the canvas bag. I asked the staff the first time I did it and they are fine with it. I don't find the baskets easy to carry when I also have my own canvas bag and possiblily another bag too. I wouldn't do it in a small shop but usually I'm just getting one or two items so it's not an issue. It's really none of your business how other shoppers choose to shop frankly.

Oh dear, I think I'm slightly on the side of the op. The generally accepted custom in shops is to use their basket or trolley until you have paid. I can't see how it is more difficult to carry a calico bag + basket as opposed to basket alone.