where's good to eat out locally?

Spooner

I'd give the food in Si Mangia a generous 3/10.

Palmerston and Franklins get full marks though.

tiger ranks Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Good afternoon

> without a doubt the Si Mangia Ristorante 32 Forest

> Hill Rd, East Dulwich, SE22 ORR food is 10/10 and

> they do a deal on saturday where you can get a

> meal for a around six quid please check out the

> link below

>

> http://www.simangia.co.uk/

>

> regards

> The Tiger

Another vote for Si Mangia on Forest Hill Road. Its not flash but the food is great and the service superb. My brother and sister in law always head there first when they bring their young girls down for the weekend.

Tandoori Nights - I've never had a better curry.

The Commercial in Herne Hill opposite the train station entrance has a very good menu that beats most of the pub food in ED.

One of the great things about ED is the independents and the choices available - get out there and enjoy!

I agree with all of those who rate the various curry houses on Lordship Lane. Before moving to ED I was a bit anti-curry; too many bellyaches after eating in City / Brick dumps! But the Lordship Lane curry houses generally have:

* Excellent service.

* Nice fresh food.

* Nicely decorated and clean interiors.

Many of them seem to offer something a little different. Not sure if they still do it, but Jaflong did a minted lamb chop. Not unlike the traditional English dish, but with and Indian twist. It shouldn't work, but it does.

Why a person would spend signifcantly more at somewhere like the Palmerston or Angel's and Gypsies is beyond me. I don't mind spending a bit of food, I loved Blumentahl's restaurant Dinner, but don't get these midmarket places.

grabot Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I agree with all of those who rate the various

> curry houses on Lordship Lane. Before moving to

> ED I was a bit anti-curry; too many bellyaches

> after eating in City / Brick dumps! But the

> Lordship Lane curry houses generally have:

> * Excellent service.

> * Nice fresh food.

> * Nicely decorated and clean interiors.

> Many of them seem to offer something a little

> different. Not sure if they still do it, but

> Jaflong did a minted lamb chop. Not unlike the

> traditional English dish, but with and Indian

> twist. It shouldn't work, but it does.

So...Lordship Lane curry house serves....minted lamb chop with an Indian twist. Is that really supposed to be innovative or am I missing something here?

> Why a person would spend signifcantly more at

> somewhere like the Palmerston or Angel's and

> Gypsies is beyond me. I don't mind spending a bit

> of food, I loved Blumentahl's restaurant Dinner,

> but don't get these midmarket places.

Why someone would spend significantly more at Blumenthals is beyond me, the Palmerston serves lovely food and is local.

i would recommend IL MIRTO, right around the corner from ED station. it is reasonably priced italian food. and good italian food. the pizzas are great, as are the pastas, and the tiramisu is fab. it is a small place. as long as no one is obnoxiously loud eating there at the same time as you, it is a really lovely place to have a meal!

Ooh, have been to Jacks for stew and dumplings and just loved it. Youngest is not the best of eaters and they bent over backwards to please him - and they did!

Really friendly evening with great food at a very good price.

Can't wait for Sunday lunch!

I went to Si Mangia last week, it was excellent for the price, I recommend their seafood dish cooked with brandy and squid ink pasta, the seafood was beautifully cooked and plenty of it; scallops, baby squid, mussels, really delicious. Service is very good too.

Love Jaflong, Si Mangia and the Silk road in Camberwell, must say I've been utterly underwhelmed by Ganapati though, if you want decent South Indian food it seems one still has to go to Euston, unless there are some hidden South London gems I am unaware of?!

Safa in Camberwell is pretty good, if you're looking for a standard curry. They also have a couple of items on the menu (dosas, uttapam, a couple of indian desserts) that you won't find in many indian restaurants. And it's half price if you have a "Taste Card".

Our next East Dulwich Supper Club is on Wednesday 22nd February.

Menu released on Monday which is when the booking lines will be open.

I will post again with menu

To save missing out you can also have up to the minute news on...

www.suzannejames.co.uk

twitter - eastdulwichchef

facebook - Suzanne James - caterers of distinction

If you would like to become a member then please email your details to [email protected]

And please remember...you can also buy gift vouchers for EDSC. Maybe the perfect Valentines gift?