where's good to eat out locally?

Spooner

Before you act on any of the above recommendations, can I suggest you enter their names in the "search" function on this forum.

Many of them have been discussed at length (usually in the ED businesses, restaurants and trades section of the forum) and you will find that many people would disagree with some of the recommendations above, eg Le Chardon and Barcelona to name two.

Have a lovely meal!

If it was me and it was a special occasion and I was feeling a bit flush I'd choose Franklins or Ganapati (for the yummy food), but I wouldn't say either of them had a particularly romantic ambience, if that is what you're looking for.

Surma is my favourite curry house by far in ED. Pretty standard inside, but the food is amazing.

Hisar is great value for money, always busy and the mixed grill is the stuff of legend. We went into Koz the other day too, and it's like an upmarket version of Hisar. A bit more expensive, but delicious food.

However, if you're looking for guinea fowl or ox cheek.... steer well clear

Joanna's is amazing - I always feel like I've stepped into some grand New York Italian restaurant in the 1930's. Very extensive menu (and if you do take the chidren in the future, they are sooo child-friendly offering crayons and a good children's menu) great cocktail bar and you can park behind the restaurant in their car park. Brixton Village is great and a lovley night out but you will have to go early to get a seat anywhere. I recommend the argentinian steak restuarant - but they all look good.

I would save your tapas experiences for the next time you visit Spain. Never had a good one here that didn't disappoint, and/or cost a fortune.

My favourites in Lordship Lane are already well listed - the Palmerston and Tandoori Nights (for their charming and friendly service).

Further afield, what about the Dartmouth Arms at Forest Hill? Good food, good value, great atmosphere.

The Florence in Herne Hill is good, and if you are heading to Brixton but want an alternative to Brixton Village, Upstairs on Acre Lane is sophisticated and friendly. It offers the option of the restaurant or a very cool bar where you can have drinks and snacks.

In the other direction The Orchard in Brockley is lovely, excellent food, trendy, good prices.

What are the Bellenden Rd eateries like? I never think of going there, for some reason.

"What are the Bellenden Rd eateries like? I never think of going there, for some reason"

SLA - I like. good pizzas, shabby chic, nice staff etc.

Victoria - Food very average, in a Bishop kind of a way. Very nice staff. OK booze.

Montpelier - Very good food and beer. Cinema in the backroom. good vibe. Bit more adult than the vic.

Ganapati - Great venue and people speak highly of the food. I quite like it.

The fancy caff's alright if overpriced.

Camberwell's the best place for food around here: Angels, Crooked Well, Mangal; all excellent.

Hi all

I run the East Dulwich Supper Club from my kitchen on Barry Road.

We open once a month and have 36 seats available.

We serve a selection of canap?s and a welcome drink then move onto a three course seasonal sustainable organic menu plus coffee and chocolates. You need to bring your own wine.

We ask for a suggested donation of ?30.00 per person.

You can book a whole table or just one seat at a club table, it's up to you.

If you email us we will add you to our membership list which means that you will be given 24 hours advance notice on dates or if you buy vouchers you will receive a personal call as soon as we have decided on a date.

We would love to have to come along, to find out more you can follow us on Facebook suzanne james caterers of distinction or twitter eastdulwichchef

Sue

Suzanne James

Www.suzannejames.co.uk

A vote for the East Dulwich Supper Club. Have been working away from home for last few months and missed going. Food is brilliant and by sharing a table you will usually find yourself sitting next to someone interesting. It BYOB so you also get to drink what you like at a price you can afford.

taper Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Camberwell's the best place for food around here:

> Angels, Crooked Well, Mangal; all excellent.

Possibly true, I was thinking the same thing the other day. And even for cheap and cheerful Chinese or Indian food, you can do better in Camberwell than in East Dulwich.

Thanks so much for all the comments. I never expected such a flurry of suggestions. I now have a long list of local places to try. We ended up persuading some Claphamites out of their hood by tales of how good Angels & Gypsies is. I've been there 3 times previously and loved it. However on Friday it was just slightly above average but for the same high prices and I was left with about 4 dishes of EXTREMELY garlicy prawns that I'd raved about to eat all by myself. It's a good job I spend much of the time with the children at home as I stink!

Archived