how much do you tip the binmen for xmas???

monica

You would be surprised how many people dont get bonuses!

When I used to work for the Government, I didnt get a bonus, when I worked in retail, I didnt get a bonus.

As a nanny not all my bosses gave me bonuses.

I don't tip cabbies, they get paid more than I do!

I only tip waiters etc if they have done a good job, otherwise they get nothing either, but I rarely eat out so I dont encounter those problems!

Just because it's Christmas, I can't see any reason to tip a bin man. Their crap service has basically put pay to most people bothering.

What really bugs me, if I can rant for a momo, is why the bloody hell can't bin men collect during 9 to 5 instead of 6am in the morning, especially if it is a contracted service.

Christmas bonus, yeah right! I hate my job :(

I think tipping is simply based on the person providing a service. If eating out, I'll usually do 10%, but if the person is really nice/good, I may give more. In a cab, if they are a moody git who says "seven pounds" with no please or thankyou, then they will get ?7. If they say "seven pounds please" and it's 3 in the morning and I am grateful they've got me home safe, they will get a tenner.

Asset Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Mr Asset says a tenner (I would give a fiver

> myself but then I'm stingy). They do a crappy job

> for not much thanks. I suppose we now have to tip

> the recycling guys as well.

they do a crappy job,thats their choice,and if memory serves me right they get paid for it.tipping the binmen my arse.

Jesus Christ!!! Bin men aren't the type of east end boys portrayed in Steptoe & Son. They do get paid!!!!and they get paid quite alot. They aren't bin men anymore, but Street Hygiene Operatives....or something like that. It all seems a bit like Master and Servant to be tipping bloody binmen!.....and as for giving them single malt whisky! jesus, the rubbish would be even more chucked about than usual. P*ssed bin men. Brilliant.

My mum always tips the binmen and the postman at Christmas with a bottle of something, but then again she lives in the countryside and people are nice like that out there. If I had a regular postman who I knew by sight then I reckon I'd try and give him/her a Christmas gift.

MadWorld74 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Jesus Christ!!! Bin men aren't the type of east

> end boys portrayed in Steptoe & Son. They do get

> paid!!!!and they get paid quite alot. They aren't

> bin men anymore, but Street Hygiene

> Operatives....or something like that. It all seems

> a bit like Master and Servant to be tipping bloody

> binmen!.....and as for giving them single malt

> whisky! jesus, the rubbish would be even more

> chucked about than usual. P*ssed bin men.

> Brilliant.

hahahahahahaha>:D<

Perhaps I live in a weird part of ED, but my bin men are fantastic. Really polite, always bringing the rubbish bin BACK to the front of the house behind the gate, really nice about taking oversized rubbish away or extra bags that don't fit in the bins. Also very tidy, if anything drops they sweep or pick it up (recycling men a different story). Because there is usually about 4 or 5 of them, I've been tipping them ?30 ever since I've lived here. Perhaps I'm crazy, but they deserve it for taking my stinky nappy rubbish out every week. (I don't post of the forum too often, so please don't scream at me for this).

candj we must live in the same part of ED 'cos my binchaps are good too, nor do they come at 6am.

Anyway, it's obviously not such a weird idea to tip them or Monica wouldn't have asked otherwise and to be honest I am suprised at the vitriol that is being spewed out as a result of the suggestion.

Each to their own.

It's still a job and they get paid for it Asset. No excuse to do a shoddy job just because you have a low wage. What next? Nurses in the NHS not giving a sh*t because they get a low wage. No. It's not like it forced labour. These guys did apply in free will to take on the role of street cleaning operatives.

You guys are totally missing the point.

I'm not saying it is a highly skilled job, nor am I saying other people don't do equally unpleasant jobs that deserve thanks. I was refuting the points made that a) they work short hours and b) they are quite well paid. Both of which have been made above.

I don't understand what the issue is. Blimey, there was a thread some time ago about tipping hairdressers - they get paid too and the suggestion of tipping them didn't cause nearly as much fuss.

Waiters get paid, cab drivers get paid why is there such an outcry at the thought of tipping other people once a year who do you a service.

37 hours which is under 8 hours per day is not long.

When I worked in retail, I worked longer than that, when I worked with the Government I worked longer.

I have no problems with people tipping, but dont say they are hard done by when they are not, they are the same as most of the people in the country, doing a job on a working class wages.

My mum said years ago yes they did used to tip, because the bin men were paid very low wages then, plus they actually did their job properly, and they had to carry big metal bins on their shoulders and tip it into the cart also.

These days we wheel it out, and a machine empties it into the cart for them.

The job is just smelly that is all , but then travelling with people on the bus is just as smelly!