Brown bin collection - Council starting to charge?

Of course it?s speculation, as the possibility of the LibDems achieving a majority in Southwark Council which would enable them to bring in such measures is purely hypothetical, it can?t be anything else and whether I?m correct with my thesis will never be put to the test. A lot of conversation and what you read on the internet is a mixture of fact, opinion, speculation, wishful thinking and downright misinformation. And let?s not forget electioneering.

tomskip Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> ?30.00 p/a. ?1.15 every two weeks to have a brown

> wheelie bin full of garden waste taken away.

> Doesn't seem bad value to me.

Lambeth have been charging for some years, I think it also started at ?30 and is now up to over ?60.

For me, its not that the charge is to much, its just something i feel should be covered by the council tax especially as its increased. I understand people in flats don't have gardens and those with gardens should pay, but i never had children so should I get a discount for never using local schools. We all pay our council tax for the running of our borough and keeping it clean and tidy should be done to them.

It smells of soon there will soon be a long list of things we pay for in addition to council tax, things which previously were covered BY council tax.

The obvious question remaining WHAT does council tax actually cover, if we're eventually paying additionally for schools, street cleaning, police, parks maintenance, council wages, hospitals, etc.

?The obvious question remaining WHAT does council tax actually cover, if we're eventually paying additionally for schools, street cleaning, police, parks maintenance, council wages, hospitals, etc.?

Has there been any suggestion that these things will incur charges in addition to what is already paid through Council Tax?

• 2 weeks later...

I no longer have a car so cannot take my garden waste to the Devon Street Depot.

Ironic that in an attempt to clean up the air I am faced with this dilemma.

My garden is tiny. Much of it paved and partially decked.

I have a Strip of soil down each side which needs to be tidied up from time to time.

Enough to fill my Brown Bin 2 - 3 times a year. But it has to be done. It needs doing now,

How do I actually pay the ?30.00 and get to keep my Brown Bin and get it emptied, ??

DulwichFox

It does when you've already paid for it.

tomskip Wrote:

> ?30.00 p/a. ?1.15 every two weeks to have a brown

> wheelie bin full of garden waste taken away.

> Doesn't seem bad value to me.

They said in their last letter that they'd be writing again to explain how to pay. I wonder what these two massive bailouts are costing us on top of the ?30 we have to pay.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> I no longer have a car so cannot take my garden

> waste to the Devon Street Depot.

> Ironic that in an attempt to clean up the air I

> am faced with this dilemma.

>

> My garden is tiny. Much of it paved and partially

> decked.

> I have a Strip of soil down each side which needs

> to be tidied up from time to time.

>

> Enough to fill my Brown Bin 2 - 3 times a year.

> But it has to be done. It needs doing now,

>

> How do I actually pay the ?30.00 and get to keep

> my Brown Bin and get it emptied, ??

>

> DulwichFox

WE had a leaflet from Southwark saying they will charge ?30pa for collection. I think this is reasonable. However it seems that people are not putting using this bin for their food waste bags, or they would be used more. I encourage everyone to use the facility of Food Waste collection as this is a wonderful way to reduce waste and you can buy back the compose created from the Tip in Old Kent Road. We are very lucky that Southwark provides this service and I dont mind at all paying a bit extra a year for it.

went to Dulwich Library this morning to see if they had any Garden Waste bags.

They did not have any and they will not be getting any more in. Bags will no longer be available.

I was told you have to pay ?30.00 and you have to apply online. However the site has gone down.

Southwark Council will be organising a P' up in a brewery

I managed to get in, register and pay my ?25 - I've got a confirmatory e-mail and I've seen the charge on my CC bill - but I've certainly been sent no stickers etc. Does anyone know when/ if they will actually fulfil their order? Clearly they have 3 weeks to go before they stop collecting garden waste except from those who have paid, but it would be nice to think they would be efficient highwaymen/ persons.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> I was told you have to pay ?30.00 and you have to

> apply online. However the site has gone down.

>

Foxy, I can save you the trouble as I tried to get bags last week as well - we will need to order them through the Southwark site (which is working for me) but this facility is not available yet and "may" be ready by 1 June - I was advised to keep checking back on the site.

Penguin68 Wrote:

> I managed to get in, register and pay my ?25 -

> I've got a confirmatory e-mail and I've seen the

> charge on my CC bill - but I've certainly been

sent no stickers etc. Does anyone know when/ if

> they will actually fulfil their order? Clearly

> they have 3 weeks to go before they stop

> collecting garden waste except from those who have

> paid, but it would be nice to think they would be

> efficient highwaymen/ persons.

?25.00 I thought is was going to be ?30.00

Stickers ?? If you put stickers on your bin, What if someone steals your stickers and put them on their bin.

I thought the large garden waste bins would be removed and replaced with small brown bins

If people pay to retain their large brown bins I can see them going missing.

How the hell is this going to work ??

Penguin68 Wrote:

> I managed to get in, register and pay my ?25 -

> I've got a confirmatory e-mail and I've seen the

> charge on my CC bill - but I've certainly been

> sent no stickers etc. Does anyone know when/ if

> they will actually fulfil their order? Clearly

> they have 3 weeks to go before they stop

> collecting garden waste except from those who have

> paid, but it would be nice to think they would be

> efficient highwaymen/ persons.

We were told that they would arrive on June 1st - which seems to be an issue given that is also when the scheme starts. Oh dear!

I hope the council has planned an environmentally friendly way to reuse the brown bins of the properties that no longer want them.

If you are not keeping your bin, or even if you are, Southwark have subsidised composters via this site so you ca own one for only ?10. A great way to get rid of food waste and lots of type of plant waste and grass cuttings etc. See here:

https://getcomposting.com/profile/login

The scheme is ?30 for a full year, ?25 for the initial part year. They said that retained large brown bins would have a sticker to identify them as for legitimate garden waste (but no further paper bags would be collected with the brown bins). And yes, it probably will be a complete mess.

Stopping the brown bag collection is stupid. I only have a small garden and cannot justify the space/usage for brown bin and use maybe a dozen or so bags a year. Now I will either have to borrow space in a neighbours bin or take them to Devon Street. Madness. (BTW I already have a compost bin).

Stopping the brown bag collection is stupid.

I believe (yes, I know, it's madness) that the brown bag collection has only been stopped for those paying for brown bin collection. But instead of issuing bags free they will now be charged for, so that those without the need for brown bins, in the main, will pay for their brown bags to be collected via that charge. Why they won't take additional brown bags (which will also have been paid for) from brown bin people, god only knows. But then, I gather this simply from what's been communicated, which doesn't mean it's right (see also my thread on trusting Tooley St.) The Veolia folks 'on the ground' (who actually have to do this) are confused as well.

I am sure this has been asked before, why has the garden waste and food waste now been separated into 2 items requiring collection, 3 if you include brown bags.

Surely they all end up in the same compost heap just like a compost heap in ones garden.

Apart from screwing money from residents did the old system not work?

How many vehicles will be used by Southwark to collect all this?

Interesting as well that you have to order (free) a new smaller brown bin for your food waste as you will not be able to put it in the big brown bins anymore. Does this mean anyone who doesn't pay for the brown bin collection will get a new smaller food bin?

Also the collections of the large brown bin are going to be weekly so do as we are and share the cost between a few neighbours if you want to fight back a bit!!!

yeknomyeknom Wrote:

> I hope the council has planned an environmentally

> friendly way to reuse the brown bins of the

> properties that no longer want them.

>

> If you are not keeping your bin, or even if you

> are, Southwark have subsidised composters via this

> site so you ca own one for only ?10. A great way

> to get rid of food waste and lots of type of plant

> waste and grass cuttings etc. See here:

>

> https://getcomposting.com/profile/login

You can't compost all food waste unless you have an (expensive) compost bin which can reach very high temperatures.

Plus putting meat waste into compost bins encourages rats and other vermin.

The dalek type of bins sold by Southwark are only suitable for fruit and veg and other plant based waste (plus paper and cardboard).