Brown bin collection - Council starting to charge?

Have finally got the "Your services are changing" booklet about this, never received a letter.

Dulwichfox - Looks like the sticker for those signing up to garden waste collection will have property address and expiry date on: can just about make this out on p3.

sally buying - had exactly the same question, don't want FOUR bins and agree having separate garden & food waste collections is going to cost a lot more, increase collection costs and congestion etc.

There's been no explanation at all why we need to separate food & garden waste and does not seem to make sense given info on the Southwark web site. There's only one Mechanical Biological Treatment Plant and it takes weeks to process each batch.

https://www.southwark.gov.uk/bins-and-recycling/food-and-garden-waste/what-happens-to-food-and-garden-waste

The leaflet about how to get a sticker has just been stuck through my letter box. I don?t understand why food and garden waste now need to be separated! Their main reason for charging for the brown bin appears to be that most people in the borough do not have a garden. Isn?t this reflected in the council tax banding? We have until the 1st June to sign up!

So I have just read the bit on Southwark website. As many of you have stated before you need a separate food bin and garden waste bin from June. But you have to order your new food bin, oh and it may take up to 6 weeks to deliver it, because they are introducing a new service. well duh! you think someone might have thought about that. But putting council incompetent planning to one side, any one got any suggestions as to what I am supposed to put my food waste in from June, until I get my new food bin. Last week they didn't empty my large brown bin, we has bits of garden waste and food waste bags in it, I am wondering if thats the reason.

It's only ?30 a year for this first year, although actual charge is ?25 this year, as the new charge is starting part way through the year. Expect it will double next year.

Totally ridiculous that I have had to order yet another ugly PLASTIC bin for food waste that can no longer be put into the Garden bin I'm now paying for. Moronic Council

Bottom line is if you are lucky enough to have a garden or a car then this council sees you as a taxable revenue centre....challenge them on it and they remind you it goes to good causes for those less fortunate than you....I think we are supposed to just grin and bear it....roll on the next local council elections....

DulwichBorn&Bred Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Put your food waste in the freezer when the bag is

> full and then transfer it to the brown food caddy

> the night before or in the morning. It?s stops the

> smells and won?t attract foxes etc.

I just love that this is a (presumably) sensible suggestion for dealing with the problem of waste disposal in a 21st century London borough...

If we can?t put food waste in the big brown bins, are they going to send ANOTHER lorry to collect it separately?

The binmen on Veolia lorries believe that they will be collecting both types of waste together (as they do now) - without any separation. They may be wrong, of course. However, if you don't have a licenced large brown garden bin but instead use the paper sacks, these will be collected (on demand!) by different lorries (same type as arrangement as for bulky items, I assume).

And of course I suppose there could be separate collecting lorries for garden and for kitchen waste, despite what the Veolia people on the ground believe. All running on diesel. So, and if so, great call, Southwark - and I really believe your maunderings about healthier streets. Not.

singalto Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If we can?t put food waste in the big brown bins,

> are they going to send ANOTHER lorry to collect it

> separately? The local councillors are keeping a

> low profile on this matter!

Yes I was wondering that. The collections for the garden waste brown bin and the food waste bin are BOTH going to be weekly according to their little booklet that came a couple of days ago. If they put it all in the same lorry......

The idea that if you have a garden you have plenty of money is flawed. Plenty of council properties have gardens (not that being a council tenant precludes you from having plenty of money)and I'm sure many elderly residents that may own their properties with gardens live on a small pension. So that argument doesn't really wash.

Anyway as someone pointed out earlier, in the grand scheme of things it's not a huge amount of money for a useful service.

I'm going to see how I get on using my compost bins (like I did before the garden collection service was introduced) for a while and if I decide I need the collections will sign up later on, maybe asking neighbours if they want to share.