To the 10-15 boys who were just caught stealing bottles from Tesco's Local

VelvetBlueberry

Got to say I?m with VelvetBlueberry on this one. It seems that people on here were more outraged by her description of the perps rather than the crime itself. If she considered their accents to be whiny then that?s up to her. You sensitive types need to toughen up a bit!

Seriously! Forum! Yet again complete unnecessary comments that are completely not related to the good person who started this thread, who is trying to help our community by informing us about what happens in our own community, and for that I'm very thankful for, and then for people who appear 'very offended' and then to take the conversation into a talk about accents?! Seriously, harden up a bit!

Seriously! Forum! Keep it to the original content! Other wise might as well close this open forum and just randomly post ramdon rubbish talk somewhere else? Oh by the way, please don't be offended, by, erm, what i said...?!

:)

Agree betternowhanthen.

Is this forum controlled anymore by an Admin?

Time and again subjects get derailed by the usual mob and are allowed to descend into language and opinion bashing.

Often the good intentions of OP's to share information get lost in translation because they may have used a slightly off term or description . Big deal!

It's annoying and sad.

This is a public forum and people are entitled to have differing views. It exists for locals to voice their opinions on a range of issues which are then up for debate. So if you post then maybe expect some challenge or indeed support but if posts are presented in what some consider to be racist, homophobic, mysoginistic etc then definitely expect to be challenged.

I agree, but this section is general East Dulwich issues and gossip is it not?

Firstly what the OP highlighted was indeed that, but has been allowed to derail into the usual crap.

Also I couldn't see anything in the post that could be described as racist, homophobic or misogynistic.

It's a shame, as this could have bene a serious debate about youth/bystander behaviour in E Dulwich.

And it seems happens with almost every post I read on here!

If I see racist, sexist or homophobic posts I'll challenge wherever I see it. Doubt this was obviously any of those tbh though.

Some comments will kick it off though - just try calling a Liverpool accent whiny on a Liverpool forum, or a Valleys accent whiny on the now defunct Gwlad.com (which had a well used sin bin section) :)

Ghlpc Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I agree, but this section is general East Dulwich

> issues and gossip is it not?

>

> Firstly what the OP highlighted was indeed that,

> but has been allowed to derail into the usual

> crap.

>

> Also I couldn't see anything in the post that

> could be described as racist, homophobic or

> misogynistic.

>

> It's a shame, as this could have bene a serious

> debate about youth/bystander behaviour in E

> Dulwich.

>

> And it seems happens with almost every post I read

> on here!

I was speaking more generally but VB does have a history of dubious posts on here.

You wont find the thread because Cella had it removed after accusing me of being the owner of Mr Simm's Olde Sweet Shoppe based on a positive review that just seemed too "enthusiastic" for her liking.

Nothing about my posts are "dubious". I'm honest, I say it like it is & I have nothing but good intentions. I'm not hiding behind a screen insulting people left, right & center like the regulars here can't seem to help but indulge themselves in.

A public forum it is, but it certainly isn't a reflection of the East Dulwich community - I should know being born here & working intimately with residents on pretty much every street in SE22. The administrator should consider renaming this forum to something that wont tarnish ED.

- Also, thank you to PR, tallulah & others for stepping in ♥

sillywoman Wrote:

> Could you please patrol the Tesco in Herne Hill?

> My son works there and has twice in the last 6

> months been beaten up - requiring A&E & stitches -

> for attempting to apprehend shoplifters (he's not

the security guard by the way). He has an

overdeveloped sense of right & wrong & insists

that he will not stop trying to stop the thieves.

> I live in fear that one of these days, one of the

> shoplifters he tackles will have a knife or a gun.

> You and your Nunchukas could make that a little

> less likely..

>

> (I know you were adding some levity to this rather

> depressing thread El P, and I'm not serious of

> course about your help)

That's me in a nutshell. There's nothing entertaining about standing at a close yet safe distance & witnessing events like this play out

- I just can't. But I really do hope your son is careful in how & when he chooses to intervene.

VelvetBlueberry Wrote:

> I really do hope your son is

> careful in how & when he chooses to intervene.

VelvetBlueBerry - unfortunately he isn't. I think he's learning caution, but he's learning it the hard way. I can only hope he learns enough of it before he encounters a seriously nasty or dangerous person. I would never have imagined that being a shop worker could be such a hazardous profession. :(

VelvetBlueberry Wrote:

> You wont find the thread because Cella had it

> removed after accusing me of being the owner of Mr

> Simm's Olde Sweet Shoppe based on a positive

> review that just seemed too "enthusiastic" for her

> liking.

>

> Nothing about my posts are "dubious". I'm honest,

> I say it like it is & I have nothing but good

> intentions. I'm not hiding behind a screen

> insulting people left, right & center like the

> regulars here can't seem to help but indulge

> themselves in.

>

> A public forum it is, but it certainly isn't a

> reflection of the East Dulwich community - I

> should know being born here & working intimately

> with residents on pretty much every street in

> SE22. The administrator should consider renaming

> this forum to something that wont tarnish ED.

>

> - Also, thank you to PR, tallulah & others for

> stepping in ♥

Not sure anyone but the Admin has the power to remove your sometimes dubious posts. It's very easy to thank people who support you - less easy for you to own your dodgy posts. Think you said yourself someone you know had suggested privately about a perception by some that you are in any way connected to the shop owner so you might want to think again on that one. Maybe just give some thought as to whether any posts are offensive/judgy/classist etc before you say you don't think that's important.

TheCat Wrote:

> tallulah71 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I agree PeckhamRose - she really couldn't win

> from

> > the outset.

>

> No, in fact she could have 'won'...quite easily in

> my view. But chose, instead, to offer some

> inflammatory character judgements (with only one

> of those even being relevant to the actual

> 'criminals') in her first two posts. Raising

> awareness of a crime is one thing, but was there a

> need to do it with the following quotes....

>

> ?as opposed to the standing gormlessly by like the

> "men" in there were?

>

> ?it's typical behaviour of the men in this area.

> Jogging around & staring gormlessly as drama kicks

> off is clearly the new East Dulwich look?

>

> ?whiny cockney accent?

>

> ?you may wish to polish up on your parenting

> skills?

>

>

> And you wonder why some people seemed a little

> irked by the tone of the OP?

"inflammatory character judgements?" - of some eejits blatantly stealing from a local shop? Get a life...

• Administrator

Lounged.

A warning to the usual suspects (including Sue and Cella ) stop it. What? Why? Because the original post is about people stealing however you have jumped in to comment about the person writing the post, or their way of writing, and taken it off topic. Ad Nauseum.

If you find yourself unable to login to the forum one day it's because we've had another complaint/comment about you making the forum unpleasant for other people. You'll be able to log back at some point in the future.

This thread has clearly gone well off the original topic, and arguably on some rather extreme/bizarre tangents at points!.

But stepping back, surely most people would agree that being made aware of local crime is one of the key purposes of this forum. So in principle, its a good thing that such a post was made.

And in an ideal world, the thread would have stayed on that topic, but when the OP comments that (for example) all the 'men' in this area are gormless idiots standing idly by while drama kicks off - then the thread does indeed cease to be about the crime and has been opened up (by the OP) for comment on that fact that a sweeping, somewhat nasty judgement call has been made on 50% of the residents in the area.

Sure, some might say 'let it go', But perhaps lessons can be learnt on both sides of this 'debate' (TheCat included) on how to improve 'messaging' and treat other posters with dignity....

I think that is a good point, however, we all can ignore a post if we don't agree with it; I do so regularly.

There are particular posters, that do seem to have a fixation with another poster, and I think that was at the heart of the thread derailment; they have done so before.

You may not like the way someone writes, however, their writing, on any issue, is only ever a fraction of them as a whole.

Remember, we don't know everyone on this forum personally. Please bear that in mind.

I think we would all agree that admin has a difficult and thankless task, and I'm sure we are all grateful for hisl starting and continuing this forum, which is a great asset to our local community in all kinds of ways.

However in any online discussion, just as in real life, conversations meander.

Many things are not good in this country and the world at present. I do feel concern that letting what many people would consider iffy statements pass by because to pick up on them is considered to take the thread off topic is -not sure of the right word here- unfortunate?

As regards not knowing people off the forum, that is generally going to be the case. There are a lot of people in East Dulwich! Therefore we can only go by what they write on here.

You can click on anybody's name and see their past posts, except any which have been deleted by admin.

I echo Sue's well phrased comments above. I agree it's easy to get fired up by threads on here sometimes. However it would be difficult, in my personal view to ignore some "challenging" posts and it wouldn't be right, again in my view, to give free rein to some views. However, I take the point that it's probably better to be mindful of questioning the comments rather than attacking the poster on occasion. I'm left unsure though what the red lines are as it feels like some exchanges on the EDF continue unabated and others, if enough protesters seemingly complain privately to Admin, are deleted.

cella Wrote:

I'm left unsure though what

> the red lines are as it feels like some exchanges

> on the EDF continue unabated and others, if enough

> protesters seemingly complain privately to Admin,

> are deleted.

I agree. I have no idea either. It seems inconsistent.