New Sweet Shop on Lordship Lane

colville09 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I don't think it closed because not making money.

> I think the very creative owners moved in a

> different direction, wrote sweet making books, had

> a television series and marketed their sweets in

> top stores. I seem to recall they were actors and

> I hope they are still spreading joy in whatever

> ventures they are up to now.

I'm not sure about the spreading of joy. A friend of mine worked for them and they were unpleasant to the extreme, they made her life a living hell and in the end she took them to (and won) an industrial tribunal. Don't believe the hype - all that glisters and all that...

Metallic Wrote:

> Don't you just hate things called Ye Olde Sweete

> shop or variations on the theme?

Yes, because when you see ?ye? in older documents, it was used as a contraction for ?the? (it?s known as a thorn in Palaeography).

TL;DR no such word ever existed. It was always and shall forever be ?the?.

Haha :)) I don't think there's anything Dara hasn't stocked; there's even a section dedicated to American confectionary.

I just went in this afternoon & it's thriving in there! I'm very happy for this shop owner has clearly put a lot of work into this place... with so much activity really does require security - the door man is lovely too.

rabbitears Wrote:

> Do they have coffee creams? If so I might go in

> and buy a few, if only to piss off the usual

> moaners on this thread.

What is your problem now?

EDIT: Nobody in their right mind could have the audacity to continue with these disparaging comments on a second thread made for this sweet shop given that you're the reason the last one was closed. When does it stop? Just go away & find something better to do. You're irrelevant to the topic, let alone spirit. The owner doesn't even visit these forums anymore because of the toxic energy you bring to every thread. You're a nasty little person.

Went in yesterday. Staff were lovely. Overheard one telling a customer that the 100g is a guide and you could have as little or much as you wanted. "Even if its just 1". He also offered to weigh something out so that the customer could see how much was in the 100g. Thought it worth mentioning. I'll go back because of the great service.

ad2000 Wrote:

> Went in yesterday. Staff were lovely. Overheard

> one telling a customer that the 100g is a guide

> and you could have as little or much as you

> wanted. "Even if its just 1". He also offered to

> weigh something out so that the customer could see

> how much was in the 100g. Thought it worth

> mentioning. I'll go back because of the great

> service.

I was told 100gms of Floral Gums would be ?1.40

Asked for 100gms Guy took a few gums out and charged me ?1.50

Thats ok I thought probably a little over.

Weighed them at home on accurate digital scales.. 85 g. (unbagged ) Bag was 3 grms

i appreciate that this guy has made the jump to start a busy on a high street in this current climate.

Just think how many sweets he has to sell to make up the rent/rates/staff and pay himself.

The front might not be to everyones taste but its much nice than having a boarded up empty shop.

Dulwich fox - can you be 100% sure your scales are accurate, have you popped back into the store to ask if they can recalibrate their scales

herne hilly Wrote:

> i appreciate that this guy has made the jump to

> start a busy on a high street in this current

> climate.

> Just think how many sweets he has to sell to make

> up the rent/rates/staff and pay himself.

> The front might not be to everyones taste but its

> much nice than having a boarded up empty shop.

> Dulwich fox - can you be 100% sure your scales are

> accurate, have you popped back into the store to

> ask if they can recalibrate their scales

Bought 100gms of Floral Gums today which weighed 100 g. at home Which suggests both scales are probably accurate,

Though the guy did use different set of scales to last time after he changed his mind over which scales to use.

Not too Worried hasn't stopped me going back.

I had to check this place out for myself today and I was not disappointed...! It?s not cheap but other than that, the interior is well-presented, chatty down-To-earth types behind the counter and most importantly of all, an impressive range of sweets on offer to suit most. I spent almost ?20 in there, a fair portion of that was on chocolate honeycomb and my only real complaint is that most of it appears to have been eaten already...

All in all, a welcome addition to LL and hopefully one which is here to stay.

We went yesterday to get a fathers day gift. Very helpful, loved the fact he has his children working in there!! More than I could get my two to do!! We have to go for sugar free for the gift recipient, lots of choice and also noted what else would be good to stock. I even scoffed a chocolate banana and had huge childhood bliss (tastes just like medicine) memory.

I wish them success, in a difficult climate on an expensive high street. It is not cheap, but it is not ludicrous either.

Frankito Wrote:

> Imagine if someone opened something really

> controversial..... like a sex shop! Mamma Mia...!!

Yep, what Lordship Lane needs is a good Crack Den. Independently owned of course....

Satellite Wrote:

> A money transfer shop or morleys chicken shop gets

> my vote !!

There was a Morley's Chicken shop on East Dulwich Road. It is permanently closed.

It used to 'Stink' of stale used fat. Yuk.

I wish the old sweet shop well and hope they can survive for the next 30 odd years. I posted about Just For You, the clothes shop at Camberwell Butterfly Walk having to move to re-locate but walked past Pesh Flowers on Denmark Hill yesterday and looks like they have shut down too.

Very sad, as they also had an upstairs workshop that helped people cope with their cancer diagnosis.

Passiflora Wrote:

> I wish the old sweet shop well and hope they can

> survive for the next 30 odd years. I posted about

> Just For You, the clothes shop at Camberwell

> Butterfly Walk having to move to re-locate but

> walked past Pesh Flowers on Denmark Hill yesterday

> and looks like they have shut down too.

>

> Very sad, as they also had an upstairs workshop

> that helped people cope with their cancer

> diagnosis.

Yes, Pesh flowers is a sad loss. They decided to focus on online business