26 Lordship Lane [next door to White Stuff] (Lounged)

Ultraconsultancy

Yawn, another gift shop, to go with Willow, ED, Mrs Robinson, Celestial etc etc .... Can't people who are opening shops in this area be a little more original?

I'm bored of these kind of shops that seem to want to appeal to the same kind of people - i.e. middle class people with too much money!

One thing that East Dulwich could do with is a cinema, but I guess that's out!

> the cinema in Peckham is great and only ?2.99 a seat - not so very far to go

Agreed, it's a bargain - but some of us would like something which shows films which were a bit different from the mainstream offerings shown at the multiplexes. An independant cinema which could show indie and foreign films (as well the cream of the mainstream crop) would be excellent, but I'd be very surprised should it happen.

Anyway back on topic... surely it can't be long before the local gift/tat/nik-nak market reaches saturation point. Mrs Robinson is an excellent shop and clearly the market leader along LL, and Ed always seems popular. I'd say Moo Too or Celestial could find themselves in trobule. Or maybe Roullier White?

there's something about all of this that troubles me slightly (hmm, troubles probably too strong a word)

But people wanting clothes shops / cinemas / guitar shops and whatnot - all very lovely and great to have - but what's wrong with actually venturing out of East Dulwich into the wider world once in a while? we are, after all, part of a rather lovely metropolis that has all of these things in spades. are we at risk of becoming rather insular?

RosieH Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> the cinema in Peckham is great and only ?2.99 a

> seat - not so very far to go

Not ?2.99 any more - more like a fiver - although still good value AND it does show some off-beat films there.

ah, went to the cinema just before christmas and the seats had gone back down to ?2.99, but that could have been a temporary thing

of course it would be lovely to have all these things right on our doorstep. I'd love Vivienne Westwood or the Sanctuary or the Old Vic, but I don't think the area's missing anything without them - I don't expect to have those things in an, albeit villagey, suburb, I expect to go into town for them. And I quite like making the trip to other parts of town. They always have new and exciting gift shops to discover...

• 3 weeks later...

what does "." mean?

Ah, I get it. Someone started an new thread asking what the shop next to White Stuff was so you resurrected the other thread with a "." May I recommend that you say something like "look at this" to avoid confusion and to possible stop there being two threads about the same subject.

[edited once]

Oliver Bonas is a lovely little shop to have, I think we should be grateful as it could be a LOT worse. I too have lived in ED for years and am concerned about the volume of buggies and middle classness however if it means the area is on the up we should all be grateful as it means the place should be a nicer place to live and grow into.