Sainsbury?s dog kennel hill

Re Panic buying. I read a piece today about how things look - if they sell 50 extra packs of 9 bog rolls that's a lot of bulk, shelf empties, looks like the end of the world. 50 tins of beans? Far less visual impact. Hence the focus on bog roll.

But the former leads to the panic, and off we go...

I had to call in first thing this morning. Some stock had been moved around (e.g.cooking oils) but shelves all seemed stocked. Including loo rolls. No obvious signs of panic buying at that time. But if people over buy during the day then shelves are only being restocked over night, at a guess.

Penguin68 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I had to call in first thing this morning. Some

> stock had been moved around (e.g.cooking oils) but

> shelves all seemed stocked. Including loo rolls.

> No obvious signs of panic buying at that time. But

> if people over buy during the day then shelves are

> only being restocked over night, at a guess.

I was there at 11pm last night. The shelves had certainly been cleared of all loo rolls but they'd just brought the crates out for restocking. More of the population is becoming aware of this, same deal with handwash.

I suspect the loo roll sell out is because, other than kitchen rolls, which also seem to be snapped up, there's no real alternatived...well not acceptable ones! Whereas most of us could rustle up something to eat if we run out of our preferred foods from odds and sods in the cupboards.

I would also like to add if people do start to use kitchen roll,wet wipes and boxed tissue - please do not flush them down the toilet, as these will block toilets/sewers - please use a bin to dispose of it (this is quite common in countries which do not have adequate sewer pipes).

And there is always free metro newspapers to use, anyone else remember that tracing paper stuff they used to have in schools years ago

The current panic buying is something that to give them the benefit of the doubt could have come as a surprise.

As a regular customer of many years it does seem to be worse recently. We have been in more than once and not been able buy a 2 pint organic milk or Sainsburys own brand coffee beans. This hasn?t just happened once or twice when you could think the person in charge of ordering (though isn?t it all done by a computer now?) was off. Milk and coffee are pretty much staples and I?d imagine demand is fairly consistent year round. Different for seasonal items.

If just one person reads this and takes less of an item they were going to stock up on it?ll be worth it.

Re the current panic buying once it starts it affects us all, for a few days at least until the shops restock. One plea if you are stocking up spare a thought for those with existing medical conditions who might need the items you are stocking up to go about their daily life. An example someone with a disease that affects their immune system might use hand sanitiser on a day to day basis. If they can?t buy more because there is none on the shelves in the shops and its sitting in someone?s bathroom cabinet unused what do they do?

Angelina Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We spend about ?40 on food for the family a week

> and eat really well. I do cook/ bake a lot, but at

> least it's all healthy.

> That includes loo rolls and hand soap.

I'm spending too much then .. wine adds a bit but still too much. It's probably as I never make a list.