Best Chinese restaurant?

apbremer

Yeah MSG is widely used, and in many types of Chinese cooking, there's a good case for calling it an authentic ingredient - traditional, even. Most Chinese places use it, not just cheap ones.

Some people think it causes headaches or can trigger asthma, but it's all anecdotal. I'm certainly not convinced.

Wong Kei? Bog standard, but probably hits the spot on a boozy night out. Same applies to 90% of the Chinatown restaurants.

If you can travel further afield you will get better food...

Water House, Albion St, Rotherhithe (not as good as it used to be, but decent Hunanese menu)

Sichuan Restaurant, Busby's Way, North Greenwich (next to Odeon cinema)

Sichuan Grand, Gerry Raffles Square, Stratford (opposite Theatre Royal)

Master Wei Xi'An, Cosmo Place, Bloombsbury (nr Russell Sq) - Shaanxi cuisine, lots of biang biang noodle dishes

I've had mixed experiences of Wuli Wuli - very good and a bit rubbish, for the same dishes on different occasions.

The only time i went to Silk Road, their only seafood option wasn't available and the non-meat dishes amounted to noodles, with a few fried onions. As I was there with a non-meat eater it didn't rate highly. My meat dishes were forgettable. And Dragon Castle near Elephant was mainly memorable for a Chinese customer racing to the door and vomiting copiously in the entrance. No idea if that was the food but that memory and the mediocre plates we ordered didn't warrant a second trip.

One other place that is good is KaoSarn, Brixton Lane (in Brixton Market) - good and cheap Thai food. Excellent green papaya salad.

Yes, Wuli is definitely a little inconsistent, I think that's fair.

I really think you were unlucky at Silk Rd, I have had some nice meals there.

Master Wei looks good! ever tried Shu Castle on Old Kent Rd? I always pass it... never tried it...

Back on more familiar Cantonese ground... Goldmine in Bayswater for the best roast duck...

Not exactly on our doorstep but not too far, Sanxia Renjia in Deptford is good.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/jan/14/sanxia-renjia-london-enough-excitement-for-a-month-restaurant-review

The dishes come in quite large so probably works better in groups of 3 or 4 to share and try a few, as opposed to solo or couples.

Also +1 for Steamers on Rye Lane, their lunch boxes are great value.

Satellite Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If money is no object or you have a nice expense

> account, Hunan or Hakkasan, locally silk road and

> for tick the boxes Chinese I would go for Tasty

> House (great sweet and sour chicken balls) or Hong

> Kong.

Yep. It's an unassuming pick up only place just down from Kings Hospital but Tasty House is very decent for classic western Chinese dishes. It's always quite busy and hospital workers and many passing cabbies swear by it. Crispy noodles are decent there. And it's called Tasty House - right up there with "Jade Garden" on the classic takeaway names list. What's not to like?

Depends if you're looking for standard UK chinese takeaway options, or the real thing! I'll go with the latter..

Fu House on Dartmouth Road in Forest Hill is worth checking out. Aside from the bog-standard takeaway options, the 'traditional dishes' section of the menu has a decent selection of Szechuan dishes.

Silk Road is pretty good for food from Xinxiang, but has gone downhill a bit. Never been that impressed by the quality Wuli Wuli unfortuantely, despite having a handful of authentic-sounding Szechuan options. Apart from that you're looking at going into town where there are loads of great options.

TheArtfulDogger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Downside is due to its size, it does feel a bit

> busy at times and impersonal

I know what you mean, but often local restaurants in Hong Kong tend to be absolutely massive, so in that regard, Dragon Castle and Hong Kong City seem to have a fairly "authentic" sort of vibe.. if that's any consolation.