phone taken on Adys Road

mima08

Hiya,

I was walking along Adys Road this evening just after 8 o'clock when two youths came up behind me on bicycles and one of them snatched my phone out of my hand. It happened just outside the Church - opposite side of the road. The guys (I assume) then cycled off towards the playground, splitting up to go around the playground on each side.

There were a number of people along Adys Road and I wondered if anyone saw them?

I have reported the whole thing to the police but cannot give much of a description, other that they were slight in build (which made me think they were teenagers) and wearing hoodies. Any more description would be helpful.

I was VERY impressed with the police response - given that I was not hurt and it was not a physical attack per se, I did not expect them to take it very seriously. But they did, and I was impressed with their efforts. Which is mainly why I am asking here whether anyone had seen the two (youths) on bicycles this evening.

Also, the police did mention that there had been a significant increase of these types of robberies lately, and the area around the Goose Green playground seems to be a hotspot - so please be wary!

mx

Apparently there has been a 50% increase in these type of robberies in the last few months: snatch & run, not (much) physical violence (thankfully). But the "successes" seem to attract more attempts - which is why the police is trying very hard to combat the problem. In terms of worth-while: apparently about ?80-?100 for a smart phone....

I'm really sorry to hear that and glad they didn't hurt you. It still is not right and really glad that police helped as much as they could.

Is there anything we can do to deter them? Take a community stance to stop their dispicible behaviour. It makes me so mad that people think they can invade each others space in any way they want.

EDOliver Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Remember, if you've got an iPhone use the "find my

> phone" function as I know the Police have been

> getting great results lately tracking stolen

> mobiles.

I have 'Find my Phone' app. on my iPod. but will not work without setting up iCloud account.

Not keen on my Data being put on any Cloud System.

Fox.

I once had an attempt on my handbag walking across goose green, this was a good few years ago, and I literally (some would say foolishly) retaliated back at the youth and he just ran off. I of course wouldn't recommend anyone else do this, it's just in my nature to not let anyone take something of mine I've had to pay for.

Louisa.

Im going to carry my security alarm thingy around here now. I'd let it off, if we all did that, or recognised the noise that someone was been a pig, then may start getting worried that their actions will be more visible.

Louisa - fair play to you, but yes probably not wise too. I get it though, its not right that anyone should take what we've worked so hard for. I'm one of those who just goes "silent" when something wrong is happening, I freeze, so technically a good catch for any thiefs out there. Twice, I've had thugs sexually assault me in public in broad daylight on the way to work and both times I stood there in shock as they ran off. It was not like I was dressed distastefully (not that that should matter), I am reserved in my dress sense and work in the city, there was nothing to provoke them. (and yes all matters were left with the police).

I just hate that people make "our homes"/"area" a place where sometimes we don't feel safe to do as we please.

I have a mobile and the only time that was stolen in 8 years was when I was mugged in Sainsbury's car park where the thief took both my work bag (thinking it was a computor bag) and my handbag in which the phone was in. I rarely use my phone in public and when I do so, check out the area first - i would nver walk with it in my hand.

Sorry to hear(read) this, mima.

I agree with us all using common sense when we're out and about/not making ourselves easy targets by having our shiny possessions on display etc but ALSO, wtf! These sort of crimes are obviously on the up in this area; presumably it will carry on this way until something is done about it or we all run out of shiny possessions/lock ourselves inside our homes (which will then be burgled while we sleep). Surely there's something we can do to deter these criminals or get them to f* off back where they came from rather than resigning ourselves to not using mobile phones and ipods outside of the house, as they were DESIGNED. Why should we all have to sacrifice going about our daily routines, occasionally sending a text at the same time perhaps, when what would make more sense would be for the criminals to sacrifice ROBBING US.

This 'if you don't want to be attacked, don't use your phone or wear your jewellery or walk alone or use public transport after sundown' view needs to be flipped. 'If you don't want to go to prison, don't attack anyone' makes more sense to me. Yes, I'm a bit touchy about all of this because I've recently been burgled, but fucksake! Can we just do something, please, to get rid of all these wankers??

... I don't know what the 'something' is. If someone else does, please tell me so that I can join your crusade.

PS Sorry for the f-bomb. I think it was justified.

There is little we can do without compromising ourselves and besides being a wimp, how is lowering our own standards going to fix anything - no it won't! Its really rubbish, the whole thing.

As a community, we have to do something together - could we all get a particular personal alarm, with a recognisable noise - so if it does go off, people know that something has happened! They can make theirs go off or ring the police on hearing it, or something?

Totally push them out of the area, knowing that they won't get away with much, because too many are on board to get rid of them...

@Bic Basher there are some utilities located within the Settings > Security menu. All depends on your version of Android and sometimes the phone makers out some featured in too. My phone sends me an SMS to an alternative number if the SIM card changes for example but you may find some apps on the Google Play store (might check some out myself!). I also have phone insurance that includes theft because I really dont fancy taking any chances.

They could indeed! In which case my comment means they can just go back to their houses and stay there unless they're willing to live nicely with everyone else. The area is clearly being targeted of late and all I meant by my comment was that whomever is carrying out these attacks/thefts can bugger off back to wherever and whatever they were doing before. In short - go away, criminals.

Wow.

Louisa anyone who's gonna take your phone is unlikely to put it in your diary, first you may know about it is stretched out on the pavement trying to figure what you were doing just before.

As soon as these guys get within an arm's length of you it's game over unless you gamble and pre-empt by attacking them first.