Be careful in Grove Vale

scotslass

This started about last Thursday when a young black guy approached me as I got off the bus at Grove Vale library (opposite ED station). Kept saying sorry but walking into me and when I stopped he asked for money. Said I didn't have any and walked on. Last night the same thing happened but noticed that he had obviously been beaten up at the weekend! He is quite persistent and only seems to be approaching females. I get off the bus at 5pm. I went to Sainsburys about 6pm and he wasn't there but when I came back down he approached me again.

Just wanted to let everyone know so that you are on your guard.

He approached me last week outside ED station and asked for money for the phone (usual blag). I wanted to point out that if he hadn't bought the chips he was eating, he would have enough cash for his call, but thought better of it. Despite being bigger than him, I figured if he wasn't impressed with my quip and the situation went a little pear shaped, a blemish on my record was not worth it.

I must say his approach was quite confrontational and very much invaded my personal space.

any evidene that hes done anything bad or touched anyone ( apart from his brusque attitude of course ) ?

I know the bloke you mean - hes never approached me or seemed threatening - I think the bus stop is his "manor"

Just dont want him to be demonised if hes harmless...the skaghead couple who haunt the lane are not averse to producing a knife if threatened ( never saw them use it )

There is a notorious individual who was doing the same in Nunhead a few years back.

The local community wardens got involved and very quickly flyers were handed out pointing out that they new where he lived and what (crack) houses he hung out at ! Obviously the local dealers were not to pleased to be put in the spotlight so he vanished under the radar.

I suggest you get onto the local community wardens and ask them to check with their Nunhead teams, no doubt it's the same guy.

I know it sounds really wimpy of me, but even if this guy is not actually causing physical harm, if he is scaring people then he is causing a problem. What might seem harmless or nonthreatening to a couple or a bloke, might seem very different to a single woman.

snorky Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> any evidene that hes done anything bad or touched

> anyone ( apart from his brusque attitude of course

> ) ?

>

> I know the bloke you mean - hes never approached

> me or seemed threatening - I think the bus stop is

> his "manor"

>

> Just dont want him to be demonised if hes

> harmless...

i think that you've touched on something - with the Maudsley just up the road ED and Camberwell probably see more than their fair share of 'mad' people, but 'mad' does not necessarily 'bad' (though it might mean socially inappropriate anyway)

Yup, you got it pk. For every 'mad' person, there's at least one other loud, obnoxious, possibly pissed up non 'mad' bloke or ladette, or lairy, testosterone-fuelled footy/rugby fan. To me, that behaviour is socially inappropriate and worse than 'mad' people's ramblings, because the former is optional, yet it's more or less acceptable. Nero

Hello All,

Just picking up on a comment earlier on this thread re SNT's, I attend the regular Ward Panel meetings which set the priorities for the East Dulwich SNT and we agreed in the last meeting to raise the presence on the EDF and provide everyone with a proper overview of the remit and scope of the ED SNT and also access to the relevant contact details. I've spoken to Mark as well and he is happy to help to make sure the message gets the coverage it needs.

The Forum is a great tool for raising concerns like this one and equally the SNT's will really benefit and be able to tailor their response if the kind of local intelligence the forum provides can be channelled to them effectively.

Watch this space for the details in the next few days and if anyone fancies coming along to see how the SNT functions then the next Ward Panel meeting is tomorrow (20 Feb) at 7pm at the ED Police station.

Thanks

Dave