Be careful in Grove Vale

scotslass

Can I just say that not until about 5 posts ago did we have any more of a description than 'young' and 'black', goodness, that covers a whole range of shapes and sizes doesn't it?

Now we have a littlemore to go on, i.e. slim and 6' we can perhaps narrow it down.

Saying that, when I was doming home on the bus this afternoon @4.15pm, at the bus stop half way down DK Hill there were 6 police persons taking to a tall, slim, black man. Wonder if it's him?

I have been approached by this guy several times in the past few months, both on Grove Vale and in Sainsbury's Park and he has always moved away quickly and politely when refused money. He has never been aggressive and I haven't felt threatened by him but obviously would avoid him if I could, simply because it's not nice to be approached on the street. It was him that was surrounded by police at the bus stop yesterday, but it was hard to tell what was going on as he was standing quietly by the fence and they all seemed to have their backs to him.

Quick update for everyone. I PM'ed Sgt Jackson on the ED SNT on Wed and asked if he was aware of this issue. He was, and they were planning on upping the SNT presence in the area. The mobile police station was parked in Grove Vale on Fri (and should be there again today).

They have arrested the individual for breach of his existing ASBO and he is due in Crown Court next week. Sgt Jackson mentioned they received a number of witness statements from the public at the mobile Police Station on Fri.

All in all I think it's an excellent example of what can be achieved when the community (and the Forum) work closely with the SNTs - let's just hope the justice system works and the problem is resolved (and by the sound of it the individual gets the help they need).

Dave

TJS Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Karl, I simply think it is the fact he will overly

> threaten people who look weaker... (i.e old etc)

I've seen this chap (i think) doing exactly that: he rarely seems to single out blokes under 40 or over 6ft, and when he does he seems to be less pushy. Unlike Brendan, I haven't ever given anything to this guy because I don't engage with agressive begging, it's a personal rule.

With this fella, I tend to go for headphones in, no eye contact, and walk straight past. It did occur that I am advertising myself as oblivous to my surroundings and carrying an ipod (those white earphones sure are discreet)...

But the same priciples of straight-line walking without slowing down, no eye contact and a disinterested "no" rather than a passive and enquiry-inviting "no, sorry" go a long way with managing intimidating persons, although I admit as a big lad it feels easier to do that.

Hi I reported him to the SNT and the Neighbourhood Police, as I walked home from Sainsbury, last week, after being hassled by him.

They told me he had an ASBO and they were on their way to apprehend him and would need to get a statement from me if he resisted arrest, he clearly didn't as I heard nothing.

So I did report him, it is up to the powers that be what happens now, although it sounds like arrest was no deterent at all!

Dave337 Wrote:

> They have arrested the individual for breach of

> his existing ASBO and he is due in Crown Court

> next week. Sgt Jackson mentioned they received a

> number of witness statements from the public at

> the mobile Police Station on Fri.

Thanks for the update Dave. Maybe it's a different guy, or maybe he just doesn't care about the ASBO, but I noticed he's back by Domino's bus stop asking for money again (not aggressively). That was 9:15pm this evening, at the same time about half a dozen cops and PCSOs were drinking tea inside the police 'burger van' parked outside the Vale. Was bloody cold out tonight mind... ;-)

bignumber5 Wrote:

> TJS Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> I've seen this chap (i think) doing exactly that:

> he rarely seems to single out blokes under 40 or

> over 6ft, and when he does he seems to be less

> pushy.

Mr MW74 is under 40 and well over 6ft..he was 'hassled' a few days ago.

When you want money for drugs, It doesn't matter what the age or height of the person you ask. If this chap wants cash, he'll ask everyone/anyone.

As no one seems to give him any money you would imagine he would try to find a more lucrative spot - he can't be making enough to feed any kind of habit. Although I did bump into him in Peckham yesterday afternoon and he was carrying a few Sainsburys bags :)