Looking for fellow knitters and other crafty types

gen21

Hi, I was wondering whether there were any other stay at home mothers (or fathers) out there who like knitting or sewing or other crafty pursuits and would be interested in meeting up during the day time. I know there are lots of knitting groups that meet up in the evenings but with my husband's unpredictable work hours it's difficult for me to get out of the house once my kids are in bed. I was thinking that it might be fun to start up a similar kind of group during the day, at which babies and toddlers would be most welcome, where people with an interest in craft could get together, drink tea, eat cake and chat about knitting and things, and perhaps even do some crafting if we can find a way for the children to be suitably entertained.

I realise that this is a funny time of year for starting new things, but perhaps if anyone is keen we could try and get something going in the new year.

Will all be finished in the East dulwich finish I promise if you don't give me back my stressfull life you created in my own house I promise I will report all this shit if you dont do it. You piss me off and am talking serious

now please Hate me for a reason OK !

Great that you are all keen! I hoped it wasn't just me. I'm going to have a think about the logistics. I think the biggest problem will be finding a venue that is toddler friendly. Please let me know if you have any thoughts.

Each other's houses is probably the safest bet with lots of babies and toddlers. Anywhere out of the house and we'll spend our entire time looking out for the little ones and no time knitting! (P.S. I'm expecting my 3rd, so it's probably not quite so tricky for anyone expectng their 1st! :) )

I just logged in to make a post to see if anyone wanted to start a craft group when I saw this thread! Count me in too :) I do basic sewing and knitting and love crafts in general. I have 2 children, one is 4 years old and one is 4 months old. My schedule is flexible. Ideally I was hoping to meet with others when the little ones are not around as it's hard to do crafty things with them in tow! But I'd be happy to try and to just meet other women with similar interests.

Leigh

Great! I don't know how much crafting we'll manage to get done with kids in tow (my two are 3 years old and 15 months) - we can but try! It would be nice to meet up anyway.

I think we should try and arrange a date for an initial meet up. I'm happy to host at my house. I was thinking not until the new year, but if people are keen we could try and squeeze one in before Christmas (although I notice lots of you won't be on maternity leave until the spring). Mornings would be best for me as my older one is at nursery then, and I'd prefer earlier in the week, but I'm pretty flexible.

I would love to craft! My daughter is 17 months old and I crochet but would love to learn to knit (I have needles and the like).

Without intending to divert this thread...any one know where I can get sewing thread in ED? I need to hem some pants by hand...

Excellent. I'm more than happy to teach you to knit in exchange for some crochet tips!

Moo too sells sewing thread in the crafty section at the back. I think there's also a stall in the ED warehouse. The curtain shop at the forest hill end of lordship lane also has some I would imagine.

Gorgeous blogs, ladies! Notesink, I love your dolls. I mainly make jewellery (wedding tiaras and hair accessories) but with my little one's impending arrival in january I'm getting more into sewing for the nursery because I don't think jewellery wire and crystals mix very well with babies. I have a long list of Christmas presents to make and hoping the baby doesn't come too early or I won't have time to make them!

Here's my blog, not as comprehensive as either of yours though as I still have several posts to publish of most recent makes.

http://quirkylittleone.wordpress.com/

Hi all,

I happened upon this thread yesterday and lost a good hour or so perusing the blogs -loved them! I would be interested in meeting up. I am currently in West London but am moving to Sydenham at the end of Jan. I work part time at the moment so am around Thursday and Fridays and then on maternity leave from April with my second.

Currently I am a crocheter self taught in the last year but am keen to start sewing. I think it's the new house effect I want to make lots of beautiful things for the home! For the sewers out there can anyone recommend a good sewing machine for a beginner?

Rach

Hello,

This sounds great. I'm into making all sorts and beginner knitter. Its always good to do this together even just for the encouragement otherwise months can go past without do anything - my daughter is fast out growing the cardi I'm knitting for her!

I have a 2 year old girl so other toddlers would be great for her to play with.

I have Mon-Wed generally free and happy to host something at my house for say 3-4 mums and tots. Tots can also go in garden to keep them occupied. I live in Peckham quite near the library so hope that works for anyone local.

Let me know how this progresses and happy to put some dates in the diary.

Mehala