Flock and Herd butcher on Bellenden Rd

mearly

I usually post only positive comments of local shops and trades but I feel compelled to share a terrible experience of the new butcher's on Bellenden Road.

On my first visit, I paid an extra-ordinarily high price for two chicken fillets and four rashers of bacon. Surprisingly, the bacon had that off-putting metallic sheen you expect from the supermarket.

Anyway, knowing that good meat isn't cheap I returned to give them another chance. I asked for a ham and was rather rudely told; we haven't got any, some are coming later but they are for orders. Ok, please could I order a ham then. Reply: No. You'll just have to keep coming in and trying. Now, from the school of customer service, particularly important for very expensive goods, maybe take my number and call if you have any left after fulfilling the orders?

Like any new establishment I wish Flock & Herd luck but strongly advise they address their approach, here's one about to be regular local customer lost...

It's the week before Christmas. They have had a sign up for a few days saying they are taking no more orders as they are full to capacity on storage. Taking your name and address for any spare hams is the same as taking an order, really, as they would have to store it for you which they don't have the room to do.

I've never seen them be anything but polite, patient and helpful to their customers.

The 'Sheen' is caused by the Bacon being 'Pumped Up ' with water..

A process used by most supermarkets to add weight.

When cooked the bacon shrivels up, and white scum is formed due to fat and water separating..

Very nasty.

You will not get this if you buy bacon from a reputable supplier.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/01/27/article-1350926-0061638800000578-552_468x352.jpg

Article. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-1350926/Supermarket-bacon-pumped-water.html

Fox.

bought bacon there at the weekend and can categorically state there was no sheen, or scum when cooked

The sheen is more likely to be the nitrites, or even fat

But when you cook the bacon you will tell straight away if it's been pumped with water - and mine were definitely not

As for the prices you claim "extraordinarily high" prices when the chicken breasts are ?2.50 each - we can assume they are at least free-range?

tescos charging nearly ?7 for 2 similar breasts

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=256278123

StraferJack Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> As for the prices you claim "extraordinarily high"

> prices when the chicken breasts are ?2.50 each -

> we can assume they are at least free-range?

>

> tescos charging nearly ?7 for 2 similar breasts

>

> http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id

> =256278123

Think you will find that price is for Chicken Fillets.

I have just had a Tesco Chkn Breast Portion.

Cost ?1.45. which was fine.

As good as any bought in any LL. Butchers.

Fox

'metallic sheen' IS caused by nitrates. But you will find that nitrates are occurring in 'natural preservatives' too.

I don't understand why, if you felt it was so over-priced on your first visit, you returned to give 'them another chance'. If it was bad service I could understand, but the prices are hardly going to differ are they?

Isla Wrote:

> 'metallic sheen' IS caused by nitrates. But you

> will find that nitrates are occurring in 'natural

> preservatives' too.

>

> I don't understand why, if you felt it was so

> over-priced on your first visit, you returned to

> give 'them another chance'. If it was bad service

> I could understand, but the prices are hardly

> going to differ are they?

Nitrates. ?? Phosphates...

Generally, the water is held inside the meat using a chemical cocktail of phosphates, salts and other additives. Such is the washed out flavour of these products, that

artificial flavouring and sugar are often included.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-1350926/Supermarket-bacon-pumped-water.html

Foxy

Thanks all, I've learnt a lot about bacon. Aside from the prices and quality, my quibble was not about whether he could or should take an order before Christmas, it about was the rude and dismissive way the butcher spoke to me. Not a great approach for a new local business.

Actually, first time I went, I loved the place. Helpful, friendly, interested and interesting.

Second experience wasn't Charlie, and the service was indifferent verging on rude, and incredibly unhelpful. I actually really hurt myself - had been asking what was available as it was late in the day and there wasn't that much left - couldn't get a syllable out of the guy serving me. There was a piece of beef on the butchers block, I asked what that was - no reply. So trying to look myself at what was in the window while standing at the counter with quite a few impatient people waiting around me, I didn't notice the glass panel at the side of the window display and hit my head on it really hard. Hard enough to make a loud noise and leave a big and very painful lump on my forehead, but not hard enough to elicit even a sympathetic smile, let alone being asked if I was ok. Or indeed a response to my question as to what cuts of beef remained.

It was 4 o'clockish and the window was almost empty, so I get the sense maybe it had been a long hard day, but still, it really really pissed me off and I haven't been back since. It's a shame, because if you look at my initial post about the place, you'll see I was really excited, but I'm left with a bad taste in my mouth.

Ive had good experience of their bacon, sometimes cut from the big thing bacon starts off as in front of my very eyes. Keeps its size when cooked. Quite reasonable price and the wild boar sausages compare reasonably with price of sainsbury's sausages.

Rosie it's possible your bloke was a bit deaf. I'm borderline deaf and didn't know for years- plenty of people thought I was quite rude when I wasn't.

To be fair, it was my own fault I headbutted the glass - I just didn't see it. But as I was on my own, that peculiar combination of excruciating pain and mortifying embarrassment that afflicts us when we fall over in public made me a bit tearful. I just don't think the guy even noticed, even when I made a joke to try to laugh it off.

I'm not precious. I may well go back if I happen to be passing and needing meat. But when it first opened I had imagined making a regular weekly detour to get my meat products. That hasn't turned out to be the case.

m&m fairy Wrote:

> Hi Mearly

>

> Charlie at Flock & Herd is brill, ginger pig

> trained & butcher of the year. Such a talented

> butcher & a good laugh. Give him a chance, perhaps

> call him and have a chat, I think he would be

> upset that you felt like this!

I think you have absolutely nailed it m&m. Charlie will no doubt be mortified to read about your experience mearly and it's his reputation at stake (or is that steak?), so do indeed speak to him directly. Thus far I've had 2 great meat-buying experiences from F&H.

Just want to add .... Charlie supplied my outside catering business with an abundance of Xmas goodies including Turkey, Gammon, Gluten Free Sausage Meat for yesterday job. We were catering for ITV's crew, staff, producers etc including the producer that overlooks Masterchef, he has never let me down with quality and always goes out of his way to get whatever we need. ITV remarked how great everything was and we clinched future contracts. So high five to Charlie. Keep doing what ya doing chuck, your doing a great job and everybody appreciates you. Merry Xmas xxx

Archived