Youth Offenders move in by Goose Green Park!

It took me years to integrate into london from my home town in the midlands, and I could not live anywhere else because I feel the country is just too limited. The biggest problem with the provinces are the people, they are so provincial, so I guess Alicia should fit in quite readily.

My eldest daughter who has been living near her university in epsom, came back to live in london with a great sigh of relief, saying she will never leave london again. The town of epsom, a predominantly white middle class enclave is dull and limited.

The advantages of things like employment, the arts, the wide variety of things happening in london makes it unique, and when I lived in Birmingham our second city, it only felt like a big Derby (my home town) never could it be considered to be a small london. Have a nice dull extremely limited life Alicia, you obviously deserve it.

This post has really made me laugh. Having lived in East Dulwich since September and merely observed the forum I felt it necessary to register in order to respond.

I love the replies to Alicia's original post, I just hope that they are not covering up the severity of the problem: The problem of ignorance and a 'not in my back yard' ethos on the part of the writer are worrying and ultimately destructive.

I would rather live near a YOT than near you.

Alicia

I think the posters to date have given you a clear view of how your warning to East Dulwich has come across. I won't add to it, except to say that the kindest conclusion one can draw is that you are rather ignorant and have a tendency to jump to conclusions. I hope that your children will grow up happily and safely in the country, and that they will perhaps investigate the city on their own terms at the right time, and discover its wonders and joys.

You've gone very quiet since this afternoon, may I ask what purpose you had in mind when you sent your original post? Since you are moving out of East Dulwich, you have nothing to fear from the youth offending team yourself, and since this is (you say) a done deal, we could do nothing about it if we wanted to. Do you enjoy trying to frighten people? and have you a particular grudge against the readers of the Forum? I am curious to know - the spleen in your note suggests more to the story than we have seen so far. Come on, have a little courage - tell us what you really mean.

emmarose Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> This post has really made me laugh. Having lived

> in East Dulwich since September and merely

> observed the forum I felt it necessary to register

> in order to respond.

Welcome to the forum!

> I love the replies to Alicia's original post, I

> just hope that they are not covering up the

> severity of the problem: The problem of ignorance

> and a 'not in my back yard' ethos on the part of

> the writer are worrying and ultimately

> destructive.

>

> I would rather live near a YOT than near you.

Well if the YOT is moving to East Dulwich Road as Alicia stated, then they'll just be a few doors down from me. I certainly know who I would rather have in the neighbourhood. It would be the people who are trying to improve society as a whole, not just their secluded (deluded?) corner.

I am inclined to think that society is responsible for breeding youth offenders and therefore responsible for dealing with them. You can?t just sweep them under the carpet on some council estate somewhere.

The fact that they are a significant social problem can be put down to british society being blinkered and limp-wristed. This ethos is often spawned and perpetuated in the molly-coddled comfort of middle class suburbia so it is perhaps fitting that some of its consequences should make themselves evident here.

By the way, can I still post on here after I move to Kent?

Alicia Wrote:

> And you thought that Foxtons were a big deal. My

> house is under offer and we will be moving out of

> London as soon as we have sold - don't say that

> you weren't told about this in advance.

>

> I would be very worried about the safety of my

> children and for myself come to that if I were

> still going to be around.

Nice selling! Quite clearly you've learnt the art of selling a property perhaps from the Foxton lot?! ;-)

I don't really know much about this but just to pick up on one point:

Just assuming for argument's sake that the presence of a YOT team did cause problems (and by the way I'm not saying that it does!!!), then moving the team off a council estate and onto a main road may be a good thing. Why should council estate tenants have to bear the brunt of any problems? Also they are probably some of the people least likely to be able to 'up and leave' if they don't like their neighbours or the area.

Anyway a bit off the point but I just want to challenge the assumption I think some people in society have that council estates are the places for putting anything that may be troublesome.

More to the point, there is already a halfway house for vulnerable or troubled adults on East Dulwich Road - exactly the sort of place that gets NIMBYites hot under the cassock and off painting their placards.

I have lived next door to it for more than six years, and never had any trouble (except, once, for a week of VH1 being played a bit loud in the early hours. I dropped a polite note through the door, and they stopped).

ratty Wrote:

> Flong, glad to hear the house on EDR has not

> caused you too much trouble cos I work for the

> organisation that runs it! :)

Er... I suppose that there's more to it than that. I've disturbed their sleep with my occasional drunken interludes (breaking in when key is actually in pocket, etc) far more than they've ever disturbed me. Pass on my apologies.

I'm afraid this does worry me, if it's true (and I have heard rumours elsewhere that the Council is planning this but is keeping it under wraps so as not to upset local residents)

My children walk back from school that way and are already quite nervous after my son was mugged not once, but twice, for his phone. Reading the forum, this seems to be quite common. Are we sure this won't make the problem worse for our young people? Sorry to go against the grain. It's nice for ED to be so supportive of these troubled young people, but can we be sure it won't make the streets more dangerous?

Well done Alicia for giving us this valuable piece of intelligence.

I watched Oliver! the other evening and I know where these things can lead.

Oh first of all it's ragged urchins asking if they can mind your horse for you

while you're conducting business with the chandler. Lulling you into a false sense of security is what the young blighters are doing.

The next thing you know they're lifting your 'kerchief, bold as y'like.

It'll get to where a man's personal belongings won't be safe in his breeches and his womenfolk and maidservants will be fearful of walking the streets.

I shall be taking the matter up with the Beadle at his earliest convenience.

A taste of the birch is what these ne'erdowells require, that'll stop 'em going on to be footpads, mark my words.

I think everyone has been far too hard on Alicia, she's provided us with a valuable piece of information, a 'heads up' to use the vernacular.

It's all very well to come on here with your wooly-minded, namby-pamby liberalism and proceed to break poor Alicia's balls, but you'll be sneering on the other side of mouths when you find yourselves having to 'pack heat' for a visit to White Stuff to buy your low slung trousers.

I predict there'll be drive-by shootings, drug deals and associated turf wars within minutes of this place opening for business. Mark my words.

Well done for speaking out on the matter Alicia. Ignore the mimsy-wimsy, head-in-the sand lollygaggers who have criticised your brave stand against the forces of evil that would erode our quality of life.

I'm behind you all the way.