The Rye Hotel - Worst Sunday Lunch Ever?

rob

We went to the Rye Hotel yesterday for lunch. Big mistake. Admittedly we wanted to go to the Herne but that was already booked up last Monday - as was The Palmerston - so The Rye it was. We'd been to TRH a few times before - about 12-18 months ago - and it was really good. Great pies, steaks, roast hams, lamb shanks, all that stuff. But none of that was available yesterday. The badness breakdown goes like this:

1. Brilliantly sunny Sunday. Garden closed.

2. Stuck in horrible tent out the back.

3. House wine "rough as a badger's tongue".

4. One roast on - chicken, the least adventurous roast imaginable - which actually meant one pre-cooked leg (thanks!), cold, pre-frozen "roast" potatoes, a half-burnt, half raw Yorkshire pudding and some greasy fried veg.

5. That'll be ?10.25 please...

On the plus side - the three under threes all enjoyed their fish goujons and chips - so the deep-fryer's on form at least.

Went to pay, four adults, a couple of pints, a bottle of cheap white, three little ones (no starters, no puds). Nearly a hundred quid.

Escaped to Petitout immediately afterwards - which was, as ever, fantastic. But do yourself a favour and avoid The Rye Hotel on Sunday lunchtime.

Not sure about the Rye, but I ate at the Greyhound in the village last night and the food was awful. We both ordered sausage and mash. The sausage was overdone: crisp and rubbery, while I honestly believe that the "organic maris piper mashed potatoes" was simply reconstituted powdered potato. It had the consistency of polenta and was disgusting.

I'm disappointed, as I used to enjoy their food a couple of years ago, but in my opinion has gone downhill since. I still enjoy having a drink there though.

As discussed previously, food at "the dog" is barely fit for a dog (see what I did there?)

Their roasts are rubbish, they also use the awful frozen "roast" potatoes, which I find inexcusable. After all, fresh potatoes aren't expensive, and quite hassle-free to cook! There was a recent thread asking for a decent, local sunday carvery, and unfortuantely I don't think we came up with any suggestions!

Roast is supposed to be pretty good*. Anyone been?

White Horse val?

*Having ascertained on previous threads that we don't have a decent sunday lunch in the area**, just looking a little further afield.

**Of course the Palmerston food quality may well be ok, but I'm never going to find out.

I'm getting a feeling that there might soon be a vote for the best Sunday lunch in East Dulwich on this website. As people have mentioned the Rye, the White Horse and Page 2 perhaps it could be the Best Sunday lunch in East Dulwich and close by. We might do it in two rounds, first round starting Monday for one week, list all the Sunday lunch places, people vote for their favourite and the top 3 (or 5) get through to the final which will be 4 weeks later. This will give people a chance to try out the various places.

What do you think?

Oh, and does anyone have a list of Sunday lunch places in and around East Dulwich?

Page 2 the other side of the Rye towards Nunhead but not as far as the Nun's Head. Went there once, good food, good Guinness, comfy seats, open fire, we liked it. Still, I don't know if it's the best sunday lunch in South London that ratty was talking about.

The Herne is a great pub for Sunday lunch if you have young kids (we do)- the place is like a nursery on a Sunday!

And maybe a tad expensive, but worth every penny if you appreciate half decent food. I had the sea bass last week and it was perfect, and there were no complaints from the others who all had the roast beef. Great puddings and real ale too. Service was friendly and fine.

The White Horse is by far the best. Me and my family have been going for years and years and its cheap and totally fabulous! The woman who cooks there is a star and does pretty darned good food during the week also. The Rye is dreadful for food. Totally over priced and over salted. And who is that tedious woman behind the bar who is way too attentive and has stalker potential written all over her. East European I think? Scares the bejaysus out of me. White Horse all the way anyway...tangented a bit there!

• 3 weeks later...