Disturbance near the Herne (Lounged)

chocaholic

Hi,

My other half and I were having a drink in the Herne tavern around 3pm today when a disturbance occured next door. The owner/manager and one of the bar staff were running in and out calling the police. The manager looked really shaken as did a few of those drinking. The police and ambulance arrived really quickly, tho I'm not sure the ambulance was needed as it left quite quickly.

Does anyone know what happened?

Apparently the disused well out in the garden was opened up today after for the first time in over a century to reveal the gaping maw of hells very bowels. A particularly heavy demon going by the name of Cilgarth puked sulphurous bile into the eye...oh, I cant be bothered. It was nasty anyway.

Yes, it was a dog mauling.

I was at the computer in the back of my flat (opposite the site of the attack) and heard screaming but assumed it was the kids next door/passersby. When my partner and I eventually stirred ourselves to have a look (at least a minute later), we saw a poor woman crouched on the road clutching a toddler into her with a Staffordshire Bull Terrier mauling the kid. I went in to shout to my partner and call the emergency services, my partern went and got a weapon to beat the dog off (a broomstick) and we went back out with me on the phone to emergeny services. The dog was still mauling the kid and the motehr was still screaming. I spoke to the emergency services and tons of people piled out to beat off the dog. Someone used a hoover, a broomstick, feet, but the dog hung on..Eventually a neighbour ripped the kid off the dog and ran with her into a neighbouring flat and the dog went away. It was so muscly and aggressive and it would not be beaten off. Scary. I called for the police as did lots of other neighbours and several cars arrived, as did an ambulance. Apparently the Staffy had attacked my neighbours' kdis in teh morning and another three girls earlier, so it was aggressive. Anyway, the kid seemed ok but very, very pale and the owners strangely unconcerned about their out-of-control "fighting" dog that they choose to inflict on the neighbourhood. Police had put us down as witnesses for Dangerous Dogs trial

My god, that's shocking, what a scary thing to have happen (and it must have been pretty horrendous to witness). I can't believe the dog is still allowed to walk around, by all accounts it will do the same thing again. Very worrying given the number of kids in the area and the proximity to the park.

Thats awful. Everyone involved must've been so distressed.

I can't believe the dog is still around. I agree with Pickle that the dog will attack again. If its attacked that many children it should be destroyed.

I'm a big dog fan but I don't trust the bull terriers, tho I know they're not all like that.

I wonder will the police press charges....

I was under the impression that any dog that bit a person was put down, there should be no question about this one.

It's not much help now, but throwing a coat over the head of a dog is recommended for splitting up fighting dogs; hitting them doesn't work and may only make things worse, doing that may well work in this situation also and is a useful tip.

I think I would let two fighting dogs fight, it would leave the world a safer place if they ate each other.

I would certainly feel nervous getting close enough to throw a cover over their heads.

I always hope when I see these dogs and their keepers, that they will turn and maul their handlers, I live in hopes.