Update on The Patch from... The Patch!!!

nonold

Hello all,

Just to clarify the situation with the old Mag,as I see there has been a bit of speculation doing the rounds... The Patch team is planning on signing the lease this week, so it is all systems go! Any questions, queries and comments, please feel free to contact us directly through our FB page... www.facebook.com/dulwichpatch

Thanks!!

Might it be possible to combine all these Patch threads?

If my counting is correct there are four started today but two have the same title as the other two.

On top of that there are at least another three threads about the Mag/Patch.

It's making an already confusing situation even more confusing!

I am giving East Dulwich residents a heads up before the official announcement later today.... The Patch has two fabulous new additions to the team!! We always wanted our food to be special, prepared by people who share our ethos of sourcing locally and working with the community.

What we have, exceeds all our expectations!!! Zoe Wager and Keri Moss (joint winner of 2012 Professional Masterchef, who both live locally) have joined the team to run our kitchen!! That's right, considered some of the most innovative and sought-after culinary talent in the country, these two fabulously talented chefs will contribute to making The Patch truly unique... So, you all know what you need to do... Click on the link below, and contribute to bringing something new to ED!!! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/362893753/londons-first-100-self-sustaining-gastropub

nonold Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Just to clarify the situation with the old Mag,as

> I see there has been a bit of speculation doing

> the rounds... The Patch team is planning on

> signing the lease this week,

xxxxxx

So has the lease been signed?

And could you also clarify exactly what Keri Moss's role will be? I don't understand how she can be both based at The Patch, as you say, and also be Head Chef at a restaurant in Selfridges? I think she's excellent, so I would be delighted to hear that she's somehow cloned herself!

Could you also clarify the words in (my) bold from your Kickstarter page?

Fully independent and self-sufficient, The Patch is a community gastro-pub that is owned supplied and managed by the local community, producing up to 50% of our own organic fruit and vegetables.

Sorry to be dim, but I don't see how The Patch can be fully independent if it is tied to Enterprise Inns for draught ale, nor how it can be fully self-sufficient if you are not producing 100% of what you are cooking. Have I misundersood your meaning of "fully", or "self-sufficient"?

Also, in what sense does the local community "own" The Patch? My understanding from Kickstarter is that people have been invited to contribute to the cost of setting up the vegetable growing, but that does not make them shareholders in the pub, does it? Did you mean "own" in some psychological way rather than financial way?

I know some people will immediately jump on the above as being negative, so let me hasten to add that I think in theory The Patch is an interesting idea, I am just still very confused about apparent contradictions in what is being publicised.

I'm still waiting to get an answer about what their goals and aspirations are regarding "local food". Local by itself doesn't mean very much. Is the goal for food to be organic / adhere to specific ethical standars for animal husbandry / have reduced energy consumption in their production techniques (which is NOT the same as local)? Local doesn't mean any of these things and I am honestly struggling to understand what this pub is supposed to be about.

With that said, I am glad that someone is making a go of it and trying to provide something new and intersting for the community.

Starting up a business is a very hectic time for all involved and I doubt dealing with queries like those above are high on their list... I'm sure if they get ink on paper they'll get back soon to clarify their offering.

Whatever it ends up as I'm glad someone's thinking about new ideas and willing taking a risk in a still difficult climate.....

only a few hours left isn't there - realistically it doesn't look like it's going to reach that target even if everyone on here tweets aggressively

What does this mean for the project itself - it could obviously do with the 17k but surely it doesn't hinge on it?

They have just sent an update to existing pledgers and are going to source this money from investors.

Messgae said

Hello all,

Thank you very much to all of you who have pledged. As there are only a few hours left, it is clear that unless a miracle happens, we will not reach our target. However, the exercice has not been in vain, as it has been a very interesting marketing tool, as well as a great platform for fascinating people to get in touch with us. We are still going to introduce the vertical growing technology to The Patch, but it looks like we will have to do it through basic equity finance, which is fine...

edw Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> That Standard article says the Mag closed in

> 2008...I'm sure I had a drink there just a year or

> two ago.

xxxxx

It closed as The Magdala around that time, then opened again shortly afterwards as The Magnolia ....

But to the best of my knowledge was always still called The Mag ....

Hope the rest of the Standard's article is more accurate!

Archived