Dog attacked my child (St Aiden's Road) (Lounged)

mandyw

But isn't class more about what you do and who you are now than how you were brought up? My ex husband was brought up in both council accommodation and a council flat and left school with only 5 O'levels, yet by 25 he was a house-owning company director who flew to Australia (with me I add) to watch the Ashes - what class does that make him?

On the other hand if I decided it was all too much like hard work to go to office, and decided to go on benefits and sell crack would I still be middle class just because my accent hadn't changed and I still preferred Riesling to Liebfraumilch?

By the way apologies to mandyw for many of us hi-jacking the thread about your daughter and her injuries - forum discussions hey....

I'm going to be leaving for home shortly and won't be able to continue this for much longer (and quite frankly I don't want to) but I'll make one last hash of a retort and then bugger off.

James - no one discriminates against the middle classes. We poke fun at them/ourselves on this forum but none of them really and truely gets discriminated against in the way you appear to imagine. If you have actual examples, then of course I'll stand corrected. In the meantime I have corrected my view on your opinions. It's not analogous to compare your prejudice to racism but it does show a insensitivity to society's differences and a somewhat snobbish approach to living in a very diverse area. I don't expect you to "hug-a-hoodie" but the way you use chav with such distain I've found offensive (along with others) - hence my continued tit-for-tat response to your posts.

DPF - I apologise. I didn't realise what you quite meant and may have been to quick to judge. A victim of my own accusations, if you like. I still think we (society, this forum, whatever) need to be careful though when making crass judgements based on the clothes people wear/pets they own/cars they drive. Perhaps it is a sign of misplaced anxiety rather than prejudice, but the fact remains. And I do think that leads to discrimination in both overt ways and more subtle ways that affect the fabric of our community. Not something to just "deal with" or get over.

I realise some of this sounds like wishy-washy liberal clap-trap but it's nothing if not heartfelt.

In general - it seems we're all agreed that dog licenses are a good idea and something I'd certainly support. Do you have to do something to earnt hem though or merely have it taken away if your dog attacks someone in order to stop you getting another? Also, I think banning breeds is a dangerous precedent and not something to be advised.

I'm working in a solicitors, have a chav accent, and wear chav clothes when I'm not working so am I more chav than something else? dunno? But I don't see how I have the right to start dictating what other people should wear/talk like/live their lives cos i'm not that far up my own arse yet - so I must still be a chav.

So Dulwich_Park_fairy you think any way of speaking other than the middle class way is dragging down literacy and eloquency?

It must be nice to as wonderful as you, maybe if you try hard enough you can teach the ignorant peasants how to live a more cultured existence.

Let me know how you get on.

You seem very confused about what makes a person working class. Saying words like "innit" does not make you so, it does make the user seem a little bit thick though. Thats just the way language evolves, there is nuffink I can do about that.

DPF - I apologise. I didn't realise what you quite meant and may have been to quick to judge. A victim of my own accusations, if you like. I still think we (society, this forum, whatever) need to be careful though when making crass judgements based on the clothes people wear/pets they own/cars they drive. Perhaps it is a sign of misplaced anxiety rather than prejudice, but the fact remains. And I do think that leads to discrimination in both overt ways and more subtle ways that affect the fabric of our community. Not something to just "deal with" or get over.

Thats ok, I just feel like bickering today.

But Chav - are you really a chav in the way that I think James meant. Chav being someone on benefits with little or no intention of ever getting a job, who thinks that education is waste of time and effort, who drinks and smokes and doesn't care if those actions have any impact on the health or well-being of their children. I know that these are all dreadful Daily Alarmist stereotypes, but as pointed out, stereotypes are only used because there is some truth behind them. Perhaps we need a new shorthand to describe people who know their rights but not their responsibilities and who are net takers from society.

Dog licencing?

How many law-abiding chavs are going to toddle off to the post office with 'Tyson', their friendly staffie in tow, and register for a licence?

Then they'll get pulled up by the police for not having a licence and the dog is taken away. Maybe they'll even get a fine (which won't get paid). And then they'll get the next dog.

Nothing solved.

I don't think it'll work but I thought I'd wade in with some sweeping generalisations to keep the thread going :))

Cassius Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> My mum liked Princess Diana..............

The Queen is pretty cool. She has dorgis, a daschund-corgi cross. How cool is that. I believe that she is allowed to eat swans, a good thing I say, I find them quite frightening.

The word "Chav" brings to mind Karen Matthews, the mother of Shannon Mathews, to my mind that is what kind of person the word "Chav" really represents and this is the kind of person that I think James is trying to describe, (not including the fact that she possibly had something to do with the disappearance of her daughter) or Waynetta Slob that type of person, now if you are getting into differing levels of chavness now..... I'm not even going to go there! way too confusing

I know I'm not one to complain about going off on one, (hehe) but please, all people are asking is that owners of vicious dogs (if you must, for whatever reason) feel the need to keep them, make sure members of the general public are not exposed to any unnecessary attacks, a bloody muzzle and control over your pet, if you can't handle that, why bother keeping one, or is this request infringing upon your human rights to possess such an animal? What about the rights of other people,and other animals, to walk in the park without getting accosted by not only a threatening powerful beast, but their owners too should you complain about their dogs running round and scaring kids, and other dogs, my dog is muzzled at all times when we are out in public so as not to cause alarm, and he is well disciplined, its a shame some selfish people don't think the same way. And what a fuss all of this has kicked up, what because people want to feel safe and want their children to feel safe when out in the public! Racism?? classism?? what next? all because a few people have voiced their opinions about people who own dangerous dogs?