New restaurant

I only remember 3 mains - two meat, one fish. So veg options don't look great on the face of it, although I dare say they could rustle up something nice if you asked. Probably best to go in and speak with them. Prices were along the lines of ?5-?8 for starters, ?15-?20 for mains. Nothing serious to iron out, other than minor first night hitches.

we loved it. the evening was a trial run with a limited menu. if this is a taste of what is to come, it may difficult to get a table without advance booking. the wines were fabulous. we'll return for more later this week.

We clearly went to a different restaurant. Mastery of style over substance. Will try again in a month or two when it has had time to settle in. I'd rather they focused on seasoning and flavouring their dishes than making their own butter. Although the wine list was very good and the staff were lovely. We went for fish and chips afterwards, it was lovely.

Depends what you mean by substance. The food is simple, admittedly. But give me a really good bit of pork, cooked pink, with a lovely bit of black pudding and some spuds, and I'm a happy man. Will definitely be going again.

puzzled Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> if you had one of everything on the menu, you

> clearly have a monster appetite, particularly if

> you went on for fish and chips afterwards

If it was only a 'very short menu' and there were only 3 mains, that's more than entirely plausible. You order the lot and try it all. And why not? I'm willing to give BeksLP some slack here.

Jeremy Wrote:

> Depends what you mean by substance. The food is

> simple, admittedly. But give me a really good bit

> of pork, cooked pink, with a lovely bit of black

> pudding and some spuds, and I'm a happy man. Will

> definitely be going again.

Agreed. We ate on Saturday evening and will go back. The pork was perfectly cooked, pink and very moist (no water bath used here) and tasted the right amount of pig. Langoustines were done just enough, and were sweet. The homemade soft cheese with dill and onions, which came unordered, was delicious; sweet and creamy and, unsurprisingly, like very good ricotta. Other dishes were as good. I think this is very good, precise, and ambitious cooking, and not expensive.

The wine list is impressive, at all levels. We drank Muscadet from the tank and then Testalonga Chenin from SA. Mark-ups are much less punchy than they could be. Staff were all very friendly and the feel is good.

The only downside was that the atmosphere in the tank room is a bit flat at the moment, but it is early days. Look forward to toast getting better and better. Why wouldn't you like a restaurant like this in your neighbourhood?

PeterSeychelles Wrote:

The pork was perfectly cooked, pink and

> very moist (no water bath used here) and tasted

> the right amount of pig.

I might have the wrong end of the stick, but isn't one of the advantages of cooking sous vide that it promotes moisture retention in food?

It's good that's there's a bit of competition with the restaurant scene in LL. I love Franklins but it can be a bit samey and the palm can also be a bit predictable so I'm looking forward to trying some toast. Be great if a real name came in as well. Perhaps Nico will come back to the Lane? Eric as his sous chef?