east dulwich trains

hi guys,

i'm looking to move to east dulwich area and was just wondering if any one can shed some light on whether the trains to Central London are ridiculously packed in the morning. Someone mentioned they were.

Cheers

Ha! Ha! It can feel a little like that sometimes...especially once you reach Peckham Rye.

But seriously it's not that bad. Certain train times are pretty packed, especially towards the front of the train but it is only 10 minutes. If you like a lie-in and can hang on til after 8.30, you can usually get a seat.

Or you could get up early - I usually get a seat on the 7.14. But even if you have to stand, 12 minutes is not that long. On the whole, they're reasonably reliable too. That said, there is a really annoying long gap just at peak busy-ness between trains.

I used to have a boyfriend that lived in Wandsworth and the train journey into town from Clapham Jn was horrdendously crowded, the worst commute I've ever had. ED is a breeze in comparison.

Your other option is the large number of regular buses that go into the centre of London.. I get the 40 in most mornings from the Plough directly into the heart of the City (Fenchurch St). Yes it takes a little longer (avg 45mins during rush hour), but you're guaranteed a seat.. comes every 5-10 mins, less over-crowding.. chance to read the paper.. cheaper.. etc. :) I just find it a far more civilised way to travel, and since my office also happens to be on the bus route, means no lost time either end.

Other options are the 185 for Victoria, 12/176 for the West End, or the 63 for Holborn/Kings Cross.. All very regular during rush hour, due to a lot of them starting in ED or very nearby.

Agree - have been getting the train from ED to London Bridge for the last 8 years and they have been getting busier but they are still not too bad.

The busy one tends to be 8.05 & 8.15 but you can usually get on (walk to the end) and it's not a bad 10 minute stand - or a seat every now and again if you're lucky or if someone's getting off at Peckham Rye (so stand in the aisles). Every now and again the trains are a little late etc which seems to make them very packed and then it might be a squeeze...

If you get the 07.29 or the 08.35/41 you will usually get a seat

I lived in Putney for 6 months and used SW trains to Waterloo, then the drain to Bank - now THAT was a bad train journey! ED is easy peesy in comparison.

I think the 8.05 is a doodle compared to the 7.51 - now that is a nightmare and I feel really sorry for the guy who gets off at Peckham Rye who has a regular group of women standing around him waiting to pounce on his seat as soon as he looks like he is about to move!

brody - like you I was commited to using the trains when I first moved to ED. I wouldn't even hear of using the buses

But I soon learned that like ojm, it was a preferable way to travel. If traffic snarls, you can always hop out and catch up on some walking. I found the trains (and the gap between times) too unpredictable. But I wouldn't fret unduly - either way it's not too bad

The good thing about the train is that if there is an annoying person near you talking on the phone or has the ipod turned up way too high you only have to suffer it for 10 mins or so. whereas suffering it for 45 mins on the bus is just too much.

Moos Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Brendan, you are on a bus mission this week! I

> thought it was just the bendies that were getting

> your goat?

My goat is fine it?s my bum that is the problem with those hard seats. I propose that they are replaced with recliners so that I can relax, drink my coffee and read my comic in peace on the way to work in the morning.

In all seriousness thought the bus services into central London from ED are pretty good. I find that if I hop off the bus and then get a train and a tube I cut my journey to Westminster by about 15mins for the extra hassle so sometimes I do one and sometimes the other.

Im moving in to the area soon and with that am starting later in the morning at work (8.30 rather than 8.00) and am planning to get the 7.51 (I work at Can Wharf so a bus in to town would only make my journey much much longer I fear) - I will definitely take heed of the tips and go to the back two carriages.. I was hoping they wouldnt be so packed that I wouldnt be able to get on..

It's worth knowing about the buses though. They can be useful if there's a problem with the trains. And just occasionally, it's just nicer to take your time rather than be sardined into the train again. I sometimes take the very long route to Canary Wharf of a bus to Lewisham and then DLR up, it's just nice have a seat and be able to watch the world go by or read a book.

My only frustration with the trains is the 20 min gap between the 8:15 and the 8:35 from Monday to Friday. Why the big gap in peak time when the rest of the time they're 10mins apart? It makes the 8:15 exceptionally busy & if it's ever canceled, getting to work is a nightmare.

To add to frustration, it's a better timetable on Saturdays at 8:17, 8:26 and 8:39....grrrr.

I always get the train, which means leaving the house at 8 to make the 8.15 in to London Bridge. From there I walk up to Bishopsgate and be sat at my desk for 8.50/8.55. Like Ladygooner says, head to the back of the train - it's less crowded.

I tore a ligament in my knee earlier this year, so found it less painful to get the number 40 in to work. I found that if I got on the bus at about 7.50 I could be at my desk for 8.40/8.45, but anything after 8 would mean I was late for work. It did my head sat in Borough watching the time creep forward knowing I'd be late. I couldn't even get off and walk. :(

The bus is only and option for me now if I'm injured or suffering from the night before and just need to sit down and recover. ;-) (or if it's raining cats and dogs)

I'll put in a word for Denmark Hill - not more than 15 minutes to any of Victoria, London Bridge and Blackfriars.

The good thing is that a significant proportion of the train population are medics trekking in from Sevenoaks to work at Kings, so you find the trains clear out before you get to into town properly. Before 8 o'clock the London Bridge and Victoria trains are both quite bearable and if you're quick you'll probably get a seat.

That said, London Bridge trains are only every half hour (24 & 54) but Victoria trains are pretty much every 6 minutes during peak times (53, 56, 06, 15, 21 27 off the top of my head).

Plus I find it a generally nicer place to wait in the morning. And they have a coffee shop :)