How East Dulwich voted on May 1st

dc

That sort of statement Pepperkinski is what I'm talking about. It will, as Keef pointed out give them the feeling that its an "us against the rest of the world" situation. This can and does lead to extremism and that certainly shouldnt be encouraged. "Better out than in" as my old granma used to say (usually for a belch but works here too methinks).

I'm actually really surprised how many votes the BNP received in London. Especially when you consider how low the vote was for the Lib Dems and the Green party (after the Ken and Boris head to head).

I wouldn't expect BNP supporters to share views openly in here. There was a whistleblower type programme about them some years ago. Someone joined them and saw at close quarters what the leader and regional candidate said in public and to potential voters. Then behind the scenes and with those in the inner circle, there views were very different.

Instead of suggesting they were fed up with a lack of jobs and resources for "english" people... which seemed to be white english people not english born people, and what they viewed as a pressure of immigration, instead they were inherently spouting aggressive racist views. No other explanation or description.

Like others have said i do hope they are not here to stay. However you can understand why people in less affluent parts of the country who are out of work or are finding it hard to find work because of an influx of immigrants whether Romanian, Bulgarian or African might just think someone is on their side.

And if politicians feel the way to stop people putting a vote in the BNP box is to tell them not to, they are showing a distinct lack of understanding to the problems some people are facing.

For many i believe a BNP vote is a misplaced cry for help, not a racist undercurrent.

(i voted labour, green and lib dem in that order by the way!!!! Maybe that deserves more stick we'll see!!!)

jrthomas_uk Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I can't believe only 3750 ish people voted (if I've done the maths right) - was there a turnout figure

> anywhere? That seems very low to me.

Assuming the ED electorate was 8696 (that was what it was at the 2006 local elections) and that the postal votes were evenly spread across the 21 Southwark wards (=702 per ward) the turnout in East Dulwich was 51.2% - about 6 percentage points (or 13% in percentage terms) higher than the average across London (45.3%).

macroban Wrote:

> I seem to remember that the last interim census for East Dulwich had about 10,800 people.

>

> So c80% of the population are registered electors?

Pretty much spot on.

2029 individuals according to your census data were under 18. That leaves 8811 potential voters of which it looks like only about 100 were not registered.

macroban Wrote:

> So c80% of the population are registered

> electors?

>

> Has someone been eating the children?

They were making too much racket in the pubs.