Muttley Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> annaj Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Students of food hygiene and karma

>

> Should that be korma?

As in John Lennon's Instant Korma? Though under the circumstances wouldn't Give Pizza Chance be more apt?

I'm sorrier than I've ever been in my life.

I agree you can have too much hygiene. As long as they're fresh ingredients freshly cooked, they're usually OK.

Mind you, I've can't eat chinese food after working above a restaurant in Chinatown some years ago. Whole place was alive with vermin - mice running around in the light fittings and cockroaches coming out of the computers. For me chinese food will forever be associated with the smell of putifying rodents (my then boss would turn up the heating to make them rot faster).

"I agree you can have too much hygiene. As long as they're fresh ingredients freshly cooked, they're usually OK. "

Thinking about this comment I can't agree. I agree to some extent about the over sterilisation of our world but as far as basic hygiene in a kitchen goes, it is an essential requirement.

Most food poisoning is caused by a lack of hygiene rather than 'bad' food and I would prefer my food to be prepared by someone who has clean hands in a clean environment.

I would say a lack of hygiene in the kitchen equates to a lack of respect for food whcih result in poor storage and preparation.

• 3 weeks later...

lisa1234 Wrote:

> I agree, hygiene is important. So why isn't Cod

> Fellas of bellenden on the above list?..The best

> fish and chips ?'ve ever had.surroundings very

> clean and bright.To be reccomended.

I am going to have to step in here - on the recommendation of Tedmax I tried Cod Fellas. Omigod - it was terrible. The batter tasted stale and was distinctly soggy.... it felt as if a tiny piece of fish had been swaddled in overbearing bready lard. The chips shared the same distinctly unpleasant taste. Avoid avoid avoid!

As for why they aren't on the list - probably not inspected yet as they are only about four months open. But hygiene is not the same as quality or taste - I experienced neither at Cod Fellas.

I think it was only Lordship Lane places that were looked at but you can search for any on the Southwark council website should you feel the need.

If Codfellas (Bellenden Rd) is half as bad as the Codfather (ED Rd) I feel your pain Bellenden Belle. Perhaps a rule of thumb should be never to eat in a restaurant with a pun for a name. Especially a fish-based film title pun!

Bless you TedMax - but fear not, I don't hold you responsible. I so hear you DC about puns in shop names - in fact I was actually challenging my suspicions by eating in there in the first place... and I must say the owners were charm itself so I really did hold out hope.

On a plus side I have returned to Sea Cow and think they are back on form...their cod (yes, very unethical, I know) was lovely!

My favourite street for shop names has to be Essex Road - a taxidermist called Get Stuffed and a hairdresser with the pessimistic promise of a name - It'll Grow Back!

Asset Wrote:

> "I agree you can have too much hygiene. As long as

> they're fresh ingredients freshly cooked, they're

> usually OK. "

>

> Thinking about this comment I can't agree. I

> agree to some extent about the over sterilisation

> of our world but as far as basic hygiene in a

> kitchen goes, it is an essential requirement.

> Most food poisoning is caused by a lack of hygiene

> rather than 'bad' food and I would prefer my food

> to be prepared by someone who has clean hands in a

> clean environment.

> I would say a lack of hygiene in the kitchen

> equates to a lack of respect for food whcih result

> in poor storage and preparation.

+1

I've seen food prepared on the floor (no, not in a bucket or on a board, on the actual floor) on premises with no hand-washing facilities. In a hotel. Not in ED, mind. Fresh food, reshly prepared have nothing to do with good/bad hygiene.

Ted Max Wrote:

> Yep, afraid we too are Sea Cow returnees. And it

> seems to be back on form.

>

> Codfellas offered hope as a closer, cheaper,

> quicker alternative when that was what was

> required.

Afraid? Why?

yeah, okay Louisiana, I lived in India for a long time in the 80s and have seen fresh food prepared in all sorts of conditions but I stand by what I say. In a restaurant in this country, if the hygiene standards are poor I would not expect to eat a good meal prepared by people who give a shit.

And just to add, the food you saw prepared on the floor was presumably by people who had washed their hands after taking a shit?

And just to add more - did you eat any of this food?

Noticed that Curry Cabin passes on the hygiene front and Tandoori Nights doesn't.

For what it's worth, I 've just had a prawn korma, tarka dall with rice and pappadums from the former and it was absolutely revolting; the worst meal I've had in ages. The pappadums tasted rancid and the main dishes almost defy description: cardboardy korma out of a packet in a disturbing shade of coral, and lumpy, bland dall, like something soggy from the back of a hamster's nest. It was cheap but just hope I'm in one piece tomorrow. Will not be going back.

TN, on the other hand, expensive but always tastes -of real spices- and looks freshly cooked.

Glad to see Le Moulin was a strong performer on this star based system. Especially, may I add, in the hygiene department. This was an area for which this establishment was placed under such scruntiny by so many of the biased posters on this forum,on various ocassions, not so long ago and I am glad this system adds further proof to my argument that a restaurant does not have to constantly be redesigned to suit the latest fad in styles to be worthy of being an eatery in this area since gentrification. I stick by Eric and Margaret, and I hope a few more of you can bare to get past the exterior to try some of the culinery delights now we have this myth put to rest.

Louisa.

i'm actually heading to Eric and Margaret's later for their Monday Night early-bird, blue-plate special - tonight it's their legendary boiled-otter fricass? with barn-owl croutons. Yum!

Louisa Wrote:

> Glad to see Le Moulin was a strong performer on

> this star based system. Especially, may I add, in

> the hygiene department. This was an area for which

> this establishment was placed under such scruntiny

> by so many of the biased posters on this forum,on

> various ocassions, not so long ago and I am glad

> this system adds further proof to my argument that

> a restaurant does not have to constantly be

> redesigned to suit the latest fad in styles to be

> worthy of being an eatery in this area since

> gentrification. I stick by Eric and Margaret, and

> I hope a few more of you can bare to get past the

> exterior to try some of the culinery delights now

> we have this myth put to rest.

>

> Louisa.

I've eaten there, Louisa. It wasn't too bad. The food was fresh and well cooked but the service was so old school that it made me feel a little uncomfortable i.e. mains being brought out and then vegetables / sides dished up for us from separate plates.

Your friends Eric and Margaret seem nice, though. Very chatty people they were.