Restaurants - hygiene stars

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> second Pistachio club shout-out from someone who

> has posted... just twice

>

> sbz - can I ask what your top 5 curry houses in

> the area would be?

I was thinking exactly the same thing. Of course, now that astro-turfing is an offence under the recently enacted Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations, I'm sure that the Pistacho Club wouldn't take that chance...or maybe they just fancy a visit from Trading Standards? ;-)

Edited to say, now four out of four posts all praising the Pistacho Club...

well i ate at pistachio club last night but my fave is ganapati and mirch MASALA norbury...apparantly there is a Mcdonalds coming to east dulwich...nothing wrong in supporting your locals:)-D

OKAY! im petrified hav i done sumit wrng!!!!! yes i hav commentd few times, im new to this site as well as dulwich n pc was my 1st stop but cheers for the info guess i will go bak to talkn bout estate agents >:D

What's this?

Another new poster, with surprisingly detailed knowledge, who has registered just to praise Codfellas?

Well, surely that must mean Codfellas is the best chip shop in the world?

I mean, why else would someone (actually two people) be moved to register and post for the first time?

Hhmmmm

Unless...

Maybe, just maybe, Tolga isn't just a concerned customer with an interesting in mopping frequency. Maybe Tolga has, oh I don't know, some kind of connection to the place....

Friends of Codfellas, please, I admire your enthusiasm, but do stop posting these daft messages.

If you want to tell us about your restaurant, just be honest.

Mmmm, Tolga was so concerned about my bad experience at Codfellas that he sent me a personal message...

"i bet you never even got anything to eat from cod fellas before and i think you need to get something to eat from cod fellas before you even judge it mate cod fellas is the best fish and chip shop in east dulwich"

and then... my particular favourite pm:

"what ever blud about it was shit i think your mistaken it for your cooking"

I'm actually not that great a cook but even I think I could do a fish-off with Codfellas and they'd get battered.

Battered? Geddit? Oh I'm cookin' today.... ooooh, there I go again!

• 2 years later...
I have seen this before. The place is immaculately clean, doing everything, but unless you can quote rules verbatum, and produce a forest worth of paperwork, the boxes don't get ticked. All to be taken with a pinch of salt methinks. If anywhere is really bad, they would be shut down.

The 'scores on the doors' system is on the way out, as even EHO's agree it isn't representative of the actual behaviour of staff inside the establishment.

One EHO privately admitted to me that the whole thing can be skewed if the inspector is 'having a bad day' or takes a personal dislike to your way of doing things. Also, it's based on just one visit on one day, and they know that anyone can be clean and spotless on monday, but let it all go as soon as they've been inspected and given 4 or 5 stars. A place with a high rating won't be checked again for up to 2 years anyway, so it makes you wonder if they've kept up the standards.

No one in the industry has any respect for the system.

showboat Wrote:

> The 'scores on the doors' system is on the way

> out, as even EHO's agree it isn't representative

> of the actual behaviour of staff inside the

> establishment.

>

> One EHO privately admitted to me that the whole

> thing can be skewed if the inspector is 'having a

> bad day' or takes a personal dislike to your way

> of doing things. Also, it's based on just one

> visit on one day, and they know that anyone can be

> clean and spotless on monday, but let it all go as

> soon as they've been inspected and given 4 or 5

> stars. A place with a high rating won't be checked

> again for up to 2 years anyway, so it makes you

> wonder if they've kept up the standards.

>

> No one in the industry has any respect for the

> system.

Yeah, this is a forum where people will post that they've seen a 'funny-looking black bloke' though, nothing on here really carries any merit tbh.

Food businesses are legally obliged to have a written food safety management system so the inspections naturally have to look at this. A good system that is followed by the business will improve standards. It's about anticipating various problems, not just whether the worktops are clean. I would definitely feel more confident eating somewhere with 4 stars than 2.

Not quite true. The Government (Food Standards Agency) are in the process of introducing a national Food Hygiene Rating Scheme with the intention that this will provide a consistent system to replace the many different schemes in operation.

Not sure how EHOs can say that these schemes aren't representative of the behaviour/standards in businesses when it should reflect their assessment of the risk in the business, whether that be structural, hygiene or confidence in management (which should include how well they can identify the risks in their business, mitigate for them and ensure that any staff are appropriately informed).

I also don't buy the business is great one day and poor the next argument. Any good EHO should be competent enough to know when a food business operator is pulling the wool over their eyes - eg you can't feign knowledge of risks. The majority of inspections should also be unannounced to limit any advanced preparation by the business. Of course businesses can change hands etc. which could impact significantly upon the standards in the business.

Ultimately, it seems that more consumers want information about standards in a particular business and, whilst maybe not perfect, these schemes are a start. They should also promote a certain amount of aspirational behaviour in relatively poorer scored businesses.

These schemes arent going away - in fact there's a certain amount of support for making displaying of this information mandatory ie with primary legislation.

showboat Wrote:

> The 'scores on the doors' system is on the way

> out, as even EHO's agree it isn't representative

> of the actual behaviour of staff inside the

> establishment.

>

> One EHO privately admitted to me that the whole

> thing can be skewed if the inspector is 'having a

> bad day' or takes a personal dislike to your way

> of doing things. Also, it's based on just one

> visit on one day, and they know that anyone can be

> clean and spotless on monday, but let it all go as

> soon as they've been inspected and given 4 or 5

> stars. A place with a high rating won't be checked

> again for up to 2 years anyway, so it makes you

> wonder if they've kept up the standards.

>

> No one in the industry has any respect for the

> system.