Lordship Lane and side roads. (Lounged)

LibraCarr

Please can anyone tell me why there are so many numbheads in East Dulwich intent on killing themselves?

I am in despair at the times people walk off the pavement across the side roads without looking, they are usually on the phone or push the buggies in front of them, endangering their precious loved ones!

Even the stallholders in Northcross road exit their stall into the traffic risking life against sale.

Just after you have missed them by millimetres they look at the driver as if he is in the wrong. Is this god's way of reducing the population further?

This I suppose is not just a fad in East Dulwich. I exited the train station in Peckham last night, three young Muslim girls were pushing pushchairs into the road, one of them caught the pushchair on the last wheel of a Number 12 bus. No doubt it would be the fault of the driver. Thank heavens the baby was not dragged under the bus.

Regards,

Libra Carr.

These sections of the highway code seem to suggest a modicom of care is expected from drivers in regard of pedestrians.

The most vulnerable road users are pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists and horse riders. It is particularly important to be aware of children, older and disabled people, and learner and inexperienced drivers and riders.

Pedestrians

There is a risk of pedestrians, especially children, stepping unexpectedly into the road. You should drive with the safety of children in mind at a speed suitable for the conditions.

Drive carefully and slowly when

in crowded shopping streets, Home Zones and Quiet Lanes (see Rule 218) or residential areas

driving past bus and tram stops; pedestrians may emerge suddenly into the road

passing parked vehicles, especially ice cream vans; children are more interested in ice cream than traffic and may run into the road unexpectedly

needing to cross a pavement or cycle track; for example, to reach or leave a driveway. Give way to pedestrians and cyclists on the pavement

reversing into a side road; look all around the vehicle and give way to any pedestrians who may be crossing the road

turning at road junctions; give way to pedestrians who are already crossing the road into which you are turning

the pavement is closed due to street repairs and pedestrians are directed to use the road

approaching pedestrians on narrow rural roads without a footway or footpath. Always slow down and be prepared to stop if necessary, giving them plenty of room as you drive past

I suggest you drive with patience and care. Give way to pedestrians!

citizen - I think you're off the mark here. Sure, drivers should beware of idiots stepping out into the road, that doesn't mean that pedestrians should cross the road without looking!! As for "give way to pedestrians"... on a pedestrian crossing, sure... or if you turn a corner to find someone already crossing a road. Otherwise, no.

And it really gets on my nerves when I see people pushing a pushchair out onto a main road, in the hope of halting the traffic to let them cross. Totally irresponsible! Roads are dangerous, people need to be careful. I'm with LibraCarr on this one.

Driving with care is expected of a driver. Walking with equal care and attention to safety should be natural to pedestrians, but some are rather careless. Northcross Road's junction with LL often offers up airheaded jaywalkers, mobile phone glued to ear.

Perhaps surprisingly I agree broadly with LibraCarr's post also.

I mean, CitizenEd is absolutely correct in what he says and there are plenty of dodgy drivers around but I see plenty of reckless pedestrian activity as well. I'm not against jaywalking per se but at least do it with a degree of awareness and acknowledge the cars in your immediate area and dont assume they will stop just because you have appeared in front of them

I find the lost art of indicating to be the most annoying issue. I step off the pavement expecting a vehicle to carry on down the road and it suddenly swerves in nearly running me over. This happens a lot. Everyday. No exaggeration.

However, all road users, including pedestrians, need to exercise caution in urban environments.

But for the love of God, use your indicators!! (6)

I?m with citizen on this. You can?t drive in an area like ED especially around LL with the kind of mindset that the road is there for you and you have right of way. It is a highly populated family area with a busy shopping street. Plus the streets are too narrow for modern cars. And as the streets are lined with cars you cannot see pedestrians, especially children, who may come out into the road.

It is the responsibility of the driver to take all these things into consideration. Try to think of yourself as just another pedestrian when you are driving.

Believe me I?m all for haring round at breakneck speed but London is not the place for it.

Having said that, people are idiots. They do seem to just step out into the road and act surprised when there is a line of traffic coming towards them. Although I notice this more when I am walking around than when I am driving.

So essentially. Drive carefully! Because most pedestrians and most drivers don?t know their arse from their elbow.

david_carnell Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I find the lost art of indicating to be the most

> annoying issue. I step off the pavement expecting

> a vehicle to carry on down the road and it

> suddenly swerves in nearly running me over. This

> happens a lot. Everyday. No exaggeration.

>

> However, all road users, including pedestrians,

> need to exercise caution in urban environments.

>

> But for the love of God, use your indicators!! (6)

Try riding a bike behind these numptys.

In my day all we had to contend with was the Romans and their Chariots when we stepped onto the roads

However I agree with the overall sentiment of this post, that drivers need to exercise caution at all times and that pedestrians also need to take responsibility for their actions as well!!

But it does bring me to something tht makes my blood boil (more then being boiled alive in oil by Ceaser)

There has been a series of adverts aimed at drivers of late, including the one where a small child is dead at the side of the road and saying if you hit me at 40 I have a 80% chance of dying, and if you hit me at 30 I have an 80% chance of surviving (don't ask me for the exact figures)

The advert puts the emphasis totally on the driver for the accident and I agree with the overall sentiment of the advert (drive slower and careful) , however what makes me mad is that there are no counter adverts for children and parents basically saying 'don't play in the road and look both ways when crossing' Maybe I am not seeing them because I don't watch CITV but why don't we see adverts in the ilk of "the Green Cross Code Man" or "Tufty" or even the Hedgehog ones that used to be on any more? (okay apart from the fact that they were, looking back, naff adverts by todays standards)

There needs to be an allround campaign to say "Drivers drive carefully, Pedestrians cross the road carefully and no one needs to have an unavoidable accident" and hopefully the message will get through to everyone!

Road safety is the job of everyone and not just drivers.

I exited the train station in Peckham last night, three young Muslim girls were pushing pushchairs into the road, one of them caught the pushchair on the last wheel of a Number 12 bus. No doubt it would be the fault of the driver.

those muslims eh? always pushing prams into buses and getting the driver blamed.

i'm afraid i detect a general lack of tolerance for people in the original post. have you never ever done this libracarr or something similar? are your standards so high that you are infallible, as both driver and pedestrian?

I'm sorry but i just can't tolerate people who can't tolerate people.

At risk of opening up a different debate I don't see why it matters that the pram-pushing girls were Muslims. Do you describe everyone by their religion, or even ethnicity if you must see it that way, even when it has no bearing on the story you are telling? Just think about what you are saying there.

Both car drivers AND pedestrians can both be at fault. I am sure that I have been guilty of crossing a side road without due care and attention, and I am sure that I am not the only one. However if I make a mistake I might pay with my life, if a driver makes a mistake he might pay with a broken mirror or a dent. Therefore we all just need to think first.

Spartacus Wrote:

> In my day all we had to contend with was the

> Romans and their Chariots when we stepped onto the

> roads

>

> However I agree with the overall sentiment of this

> post, that drivers need to exercise caution at all

> times and that pedestrians also need to take

> responsibility for their actions as well!!

>

> But it does bring me to something tht makes my

> blood boil (more then being boiled alive in oil by

> Ceaser)

>

> There has been a series of adverts aimed at

> drivers of late, including the one where a small

> child is dead at the side of the road and saying

> if you hit me at 40 I have a 80% chance of dying,

> and if you hit me at 30 I have an 80% chance of

> surviving (don't ask me for the exact figures)

>

> The advert puts the emphasis totally on the driver

> for the accident and I agree with the overall

> sentiment of the advert (drive slower and careful)

> , however what makes me mad is that there are no

> counter adverts for children and parents basically

> saying 'don't play in the road and look both ways

> when crossing' Maybe I am not seeing them because

> I don't watch CITV but why don't we see adverts in

> the ilk of "the Green Cross Code Man" or "Tufty"

> or even the Hedgehog ones that used to be on any

> more? (okay apart from the fact that they were,

> looking back, naff adverts by todays standards)

>

> There needs to be an allround campaign to say

> "Drivers drive carefully, Pedestrians cross the

> road carefully and no one needs to have an

> unavoidable accident" and hopefully the message

> will get through to everyone!

>

> Road safety is the job of everyone and not just

> drivers.

Ahem...

Mobile phone ad

and what about all the ads with the boy becoming a footballer except he's actually not doing an overhead kick but he's being hit by a car or the young girl who is going to become a prima ballerina but actually she too is being hit by a car. I guess that it's not aimed at your age group ancient Roman! ;-)

A lot of the side roads in East Dulwich are generally very quiet and it tends to give you a false sense of security.

I'm also one of those, who walk around day dreaming and not paying much attention, and have come very close to being flattened. Particularly if I'm a bit hung over in the morning and trudging to work.

I have been in car in Clapham, when a kid on roller skates came suddenly from a side street. Watching him bounce of the screen was not the nicest of experiences. The wierd bit was watching his mother come out from her house, trying to look after him, but managing to continue and finish the cigarette she was holding.

Also, a few months ago, I watched a woman push her pushchair on Rye Lane into an oncoming 12 bus. Luckily it missed them by a whisker, but it was horrifying to watch.

At risk of opening up a different debate I don't see why it matters that the pram-pushing girls were Muslims. Do you describe everyone by their religion, or even ethnicity if you must see it that way, even when it has no bearing on the story you are telling? Just think about what you are saying there.

Just to clarify Jamma, if that was directed at my post that was the point it was intending to make.

I am all for everyone paying attention and being polite as they go about their business on the streets but the key thing here is outcome. Drivers can hurt, injure or kill a pedestrian who steps out in front of them. A driver will not be hurt, injured or killed if they hit a pedestrian. The onus is on drivers to be careful.

citizenED Wrote:

> I am all for everyone paying attention and being

> polite as they go about their business on the

> streets but the key thing here is outcome. Drivers

> can hurt, injure or kill a pedestrian who steps

> out in front of them. A driver will not be hurt,

> injured or killed if they hit a pedestrian. The

> onus is on drivers to be careful.

Exactly!

I am all for everyone paying attention and being polite as they go about their business on the streets but the key thing here is outcome. Drivers can hurt, injure or kill a pedestrian who steps out in front of them. A driver will not be hurt, injured or killed if they hit a pedestrian. The onus is on drivers to be careful.

Seems a bit of skewed logic. Surely the onus is on the pedestrian, as they have the most to lose?

And what about the pedestrian walking across the road by the instruction of the green man when a driver see it as their right just to drive through a red light completely oblivious to what they're doing? Is the pedestrian wrong to glare at the driver as they dodge out of the cars way? hmmmm interesting thought...