Parking in and around Lordship Lane

TJH

My partner and I are considering a move to East Dulwich. I used to visit Lordship Lane regularly for shopping and lunches but often found parking a nightmare. I was wondering how the residents of SE22 found parking on a daily basis. Do you manage to park outside your own home everyday? Are there any particular roads which consistently have problems with parking? I've always loved the buzz of East Dulwich but I think living on a road where I couldn't park outside my home (or at least where I could see my car) would slowly drive me mad.

On another note, my partner would be traveling on British Rail from one of the local stations and I'm interested on how good the commute into central london is. Any comments on the services?

All advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I find the parking fine. It is free, and I always find a spot. You may not get one outside your home, but I usually get one close by. I cannot comment on the trains as I drive to work.

British Rail? I thought Maggie thatcher got rid of it.

In the heart of ED i.e nr the shops, it's a nightmare. A bit further afield is better. Pellatt and beyond to the south. Not sure about the north side. And from beyond Crystal Palace Rd to East. The very issue I think is the free parking. It should only be free to residents of ED.

generally really easy to park on most roads except near the station and near estate agents like ludlow and foxtons who have shed loads of beatles and mini's taking up spaces. I nearly always get outside my house or directly opposite. even lordship lane is not that bad for london. Say no to resident permits!

I tried to park near the shops, in the vicinity of North Cross Road on Friday at around 12pm. I couldn't find a single spot. Also spoke to a friend who works in ED who said that he often has to drive around the block a few times before a space becoming available. I'm assuming, from what you've said, that this is not always the case, which is good to hear. Maybe just my bad luck at the times/days I've visited.

whateley road is one of the worst roads for parking!!!! theres a small effing garage next door to bells, father & son run it, they have loads of cars parked on whateley road. they fill the road with their cars to the point where residents cant park their cars!!

this is definately no recommendation....>:D<

Do residents of SE22 really need to drive to and park in LL to go shopping in Lordship Lane? Just a thought!

If you're a motorcyclist there's a bike park on NorthCross Road not often full.

I do geninely pity those who have cars and can't park sometimes even in the street where they live.

My friend lives in Sydenham and the same happens when people try and park in her street to go to the station in the mornings.

I sometimes think I must live in a different SE22 - I live on Fellbrigg road so near both LL and Northcross once in a blue and yellow moon I can't park more or less outside my house so may have to park a bit further up or down the road and walk back

NatashaD Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I find the parking fine. It is free, and I always

> find a spot. You may not get one outside your

> home, but I usually get one close by. I cannot

> comment on the trains as I drive to work.

> British Rail? I thought Maggie thatcher got rid of

> it.

it was John Major actually

xone262 - I do feel bad about how our cars (ludlows) take up quite a bit of space in and around ED. Personally, I try and avoid the roads like Archdale and others off North Cross, simply because they are residential.

I can't comment on my colleagues, but I try and leave the car further out on less busy roads, such as Fellbrigg etc.

In my experience, you only don't get a seat at peak rush hour (between about ten to and half past 8). I have always got a seat on the 7am - 7.30 trains. And also after half 8 as Kels says if you are lucky enough to go in a bit later.

I always get a seat coming home as well although you probably need to be at London Bridge 3-5 mins before the train goes to do so.

???? - reason Felbrigg is so easy is that there are only houses down one side of the road for a lot of it - as Shawbury and Bawdale roads houses side onto it.

Saying that - you've prob just made it a lot harder for yourself!

I used to live on Lacon Road and it was regularly a nightmare - whenever I tried to park. Drove back down there on Friday to nip into NX road and remembered what drove me mad - just as I was about to reverse into a space the Royal mail screeched up beside me gesturing for me to go past - then parked up in the way of the space, put his hazards on and jumped out to make a delivery. Grr.

Just moved to the 22/23 borders - loads of parking (mainly due to living up a very steep hill!) AND HOP/Forest hill are on the tube map now. OK, so its only the East London line, but its a start!

I live on Lacon Road and have done so for past 8 years or so. Really have not had problem with parking. Sometimes during the day I have to circle a couple of times and (very rarely) I have to park on Northcross for an hour or so. Tunrover of spaces is pretty regular and there are usually a few spaces between 5-7 when the Lordship Lane users depart. Can get a bit busy during prayer time at the NX road mosque, but this is only for a half hour or so.

ladywotlunches Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> ???? - reason Felbrigg is so easy is that there

> are only houses down one side of the road for a

> lot of it - as Shawbury and Bawdale roads houses

> side onto it.

>

> Saying that - you've prob just made it a lot

> harder for yourself!

>

> I used to live on Lacon Road and it was regularly

> a nightmare - whenever I tried to park. Drove back

> down there on Friday to nip into NX road and

> remembered what drove me mad - just as I was about

> to reverse into a space the Royal mail screeched

> up beside me gesturing for me to go past - then

> parked up in the way of the space, put his hazards

> on and jumped out to make a delivery. Grr.

>

> Just moved to the 22/23 borders - loads of parking

> (mainly due to living up a very steep hill!) AND

> HOP/Forest hill are on the tube map now. OK, so

> its only the East London line, but its a start!