Card cloning warning

My husband's debit card as well as mine were cloned this afternoon. Long story but we believe it was at the HSBC cash point on Lordship Lane. I suggest that if you used this cash point today, you check with your bank that there aren't any suspicious transactions on your account.

Big thumbs up for HSBC which cancelled my card immediately.

my credit card was recently used fraudulently and the only place I had used it in the weeks prior to that was the cash point at the HSBC. How it happens I have no idea as the machine looked fine when I used it.

MadWorld74 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> both the HSBC machines have been tampered with. It

> diesn't take a genious to spot it.

Actually, smatypants, almost all of the cash machines in London have been tampered with in the past and still bear the scars -- the banks remove the illegal devices when they find them but don't put in a brand new machine.

So it isn't that easy to work out which machines are rigged to defraud you.

In short, you are wrong.

Just for the sake of those of us who have been victims of card fraud recently, what exactly is it that we should look out for on cash machines? Cameras, odd bits of hardware, dodgy types hanging around...?

Do the banks check their machines regularly and is this something that is more likely to happen when the bank is closed or at weekends?

Advice from someone with a bit of security knowledge would be very helpful...

That's funny - I've just had an 'critical' callback message from HSBC saying that my credit card had been cloned together with my correct PIN and someone in Benin, West Africa was trying (unsuccesfully) to withdraw ?200 every few hours.(6)

> Just for the sake of those of us who have been

> victims of card fraud recently, what exactly is it

> that we should look out for on cash machines?

> Cameras, odd bits of hardware, dodgy types hanging

> around...?

Any of these. Here's a possibly useful selection from a google 'uk atm card skim' image search:

http://www.bustathief.com/2007/08/atm-fraud-or-cash-money-theft-is-as-old.html

http://www.lightbluetouchpaper.org/2006/03/30/fraud-or-feature/

http://www.strathclyde.police.uk/index.asp?locID=1204&docID=-1

Yesterday the machine took an unusual amount of time to spit out the cash -- probably because the computer had been hacked into by a skimmer. That was the give-away for me. However by that time, the fraudsters had the data they needed so it was too late.

In less than 15 minutes HSBC had blocked my account and stopped anyone stealing any money -- so great service from them. Even though it is shareholders money, not mine, that they are saving by blocking the account, it has saved me a lot of hassle.

Here's a full proof way to avoid having your card cloned. Although the device fitted will read the magnetic strip for the operation to be complete the small pinhole camera secreted in the attachment covering the original installed by the bank has to record your P.I.N. To avoid this simply type in your pin with your other hand covering what your busy hand is doing. It's actually quite easy and you'll be doing it without realising it after a while.

When you say it was cloned without the pin being compromised do you mean it was used on an internet transaction where the pin isn't required. My post was only aimed at those using an ATM. If you want safe internet transactions only use an account with a set amount in it with a no overdraft policy, thats how I do it and I've never had any dodgy attempts on my funds.

Shaggy Wrote:

> MadWorld74 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > both the HSBC machines have been tampered with.

> It

> > doesn't take a genius to spot it.

>

>

> Actually, smatypants, almost all of the cash

> machines in London have been tampered with in the

> past and still bear the scars -- the banks remove

> the illegal devices when they find them but don't

> put in a brand new machine.

>

> So it isn't that easy to work out which machines

> are rigged to defraud you.

>

> In short, you are wrong.

IN SHORT, SHAGGY, YOU DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT ME SO PLEASE DON'T GO ABOUT WAGGING YOUR SARCASTIC FINGER IN MY GENERAL DIRECTION.

I have a friend who works for one of the high streets bank who has to deal with card cloning/skimming on a daily basis.

They have given me all the pointers to look out for on all types of ATM's. And they differ from bank to bank.

But because I have been met with undue sarcasm on this thread, you can all go to hell in a handcart.

Loose all your savings I couldn't care less.

TillieTrotter Wrote:

> Can you enlighten us non-genius types as to how we

> should spot a tampered with ATM then please

> Madworld. I for one haven't got a clue what to

> look for. Thanking you in advance for your

> advice.

Dear TT

A while back one of the ATM's at the HSBC in Lordship Lane had it's card slot ripped out from the front of the machine. There was what looked like acid that had been thrown all over the ATM facia, and to top it off there was a carton of drink rammed into the gapping whole where the card slot had been.

Pretty obviously tampered with, wouldn't you say?

Your welcome.

Dear MadWorld74,

I think the "undue sarcasm" arose as a result of your undue sarcasm ("...it doesn't take a genius...") on a thread where people were rather innocently asking for advice on tampered machines. So it was probably due sarcasm.

HTH

I don't think anyone mentioned a drink's carton until your goodself MW74 and weirdly, there were no drink's cartons sticking out of the machine when I used it, nor any signs of acid having been thrown over it. I'm not sure I would try to put my card into a ripped out slot with a drink's carton in its place!

Please tell us what to look out for as I think that sort of information should be shared with the group.

Punctuation edit, must keep up standards!

Sam T Wrote:

> Now that fuel is so expensive why not try some other fuel, here is the link below

>

> http://knowledgepublications.com/gw3h2/gw3h2_landing_selector.htm

It appears to me Asset, that the car shown in the link does look like it's had acid thrown over it and I'm sure there's a drinks carton stuffed in there somewhere - so maybe it's actually a mobile ATM that's been tampered with. Reminds me of that Dads Army film when they converted a van to run on gas. What goes around....