Card cloning warning

Well said AcedOut

Not sure the value of any poll (even if it's viable) - these teams hit an area and then move on as I understand itm using teh details in subsequent months - everyone who has been hit in the last couple of weeks and says "and I used it in ..." is probably adding 2+2 and getting 5 IMO

The poll would simply be...

"In the past year of living in East Dulwich, have you had your card details knowingly stolen?"

1) Yes / 2) No

I'd bet less than 5% will answer yes, but it would be interesting to see. I'm not suggesting we try to pin point times and locations.

I found out today from a US organisation that I had dealings with years ago that they've had my full card details sitting in a public folder on the internet for all to view for around seven months. Me and three hundred others.

Only that card had already been compromised, by another fair organisation (Fasthosts, me and several thousand others), so the card was cut up on instructions of my bank at the time. So at least two organisations were publishing my card details on the interweb at the same time this spring.

Why don't they all join in and have done with it...

from the bbc...old article....

...article cut - here is the technology lowdown....xo, otto

"But yes there are still problems that still exist though it is getting safer." These, Mr Tabeling told the BBC, tend to centre around a retailer not doing a good enough job securing its network.

"If the proper encryption is configured on the wireless access point, then an attacker will not be able to get any information. I would have to bet in this case that didn't happen."

At stake for victims of fraud is more than just money

The authorities said the details of the 40 million credit and debit card holders was obtained by the hackers "wardriving" past stores to find wireless networks they could hack into.

This entailed driving around using a hand-held device to detect a wireless signal much in the same way a radio scanner hunts for a signal.

The US justice department said the hackers then loaded "sniffer" software onto the retailers' networks which captured numbers as well as passwords and account information as it moved through the retailers credit and debit processing networks.

That information was then sent to servers that the group controlled in Eastern Europe and the United States.

The justice department said the stolen numbers were "cashed out" by encoding card numbers on the magnetic strips of blank cards and then used to withdraw tens of thousands of dollars from ATMs.

Hi All,

Just returned from annual hols in Cyprus to find out my Barclays debit card had been cloned and ?750 had been withdrawn in cash advances from a bank in Canada. The last two places I used my card in August was Barclays ATM Lordship Lane and Sainsburys DKH.

From the 1 April 2007, new procedures came into effect in England, Wales and Northern Ireland which mean that banks and financial institutions become the first point of contact for cheque, plastic card and online fraud offences. In most cases consumers will be required to report instances of this type of fraud straight to their bank or building society and not to the police. It will be up to the financial institution involved, and not the account holder, to pass details of the relevant crime on to the police.

This change in the way fraud is reported has come about after the introduction of the Fraud Act 2006 and follows discussions between the Home Office, Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) and the financial sector. The aim is to reduce the level of bureaucracy involved in fraud recording and to streamline the reporting, recording and investigation of such frauds.

APACS statistics show that there were just over 700,000 cases of card fraud in 2006, with the average loss per case amounting to ?608. One of the advantages for consumers unfortunate enough to be a victim of these types of fraud from 1 April onwards is that they will only have to report the details to their bank or the financial organisation involved. Previously they would have reported the matter first to their bank, then to the police, and then back to their bank to pass on relevant details given to them by the police.

Starburst Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi All,

>

to reduce the

> level of bureaucracy involved in fraud recording

> and to streamline the reporting, recording and

> investigation of such frauds.

>

> APACS statistics show that there were just over

> 700,000 cases of card fraud in 2006, with the

> average loss per case amounting to ?608.

Unfortunately methods have advanced a long way since then...and lots more organised teams of fraudsters have cottoned on to the money to be made.

And an unfortuante side effect of the new reporting regime is that now we, the general public, have absolutely no idea how much card fraud there is, as the customers defrauded don't report to an objective third party.

I'm sure that the banks will do nothing much to secure their systems until losses increase much further. e.g. millions or tens of of victims rather than hundreds of thousands, and losses that make a radical statement on their bottom line.

Given that at present the banks are not footing the bill for true costs of these events (e.g. my life goes down the pan for a period, not just the money I lost), I propose that each customer-victim be compensated by their bank with an admin-damage-to-life-time-wasted charge, on top of the actual monetary loss, on each occasion that this occurs. Say ?600 (that's a low daily rate for many self employed professionals). That might help focus minds.

I billed Tiscali for loss of income, interest, cost of calls made etc when they incorrectly continued to bill me and then proceed to get the debt collectors on me. To begin with, they owed me a ?4 refund, but were rather surprised when I sent them an invoice for close to ?1000! I even told them that I'd change them a ?100 admin fee for each letter I had to process from their collections agency. They'd do a similar thing to a customer, but they don't like it when the shoe is on the other foot.

If money goes missing from my bank, I'll push for something similar. Just giving me the money back isn't good enough. The is a price to having to chase it up, so I fully support your view louisiana.

AcedOut Wrote:

> I billed Tiscali for loss of income, interest,

> cost of calls made etc when they incorrectly

> continued to bill me and then proceed to get the

> debt collectors on me. To begin with, they owed

> me a ?4 refund, but were rather surprised when I

> sent them an invoice for close to ?1000! I even

> told them that I'd change them a ?100 admin fee

> for each letter I had to process from their

> collections agency. They'd do a similar thing to

> a customer, but they don't like it when the shoe

> is on the other foot.

>

> If money goes missing from my bank, I'll push for

> something similar. Just giving me the money back

> isn't good enough. The is a price to having to

> chase it up, so I fully support your view

> louisiana.

Good on you AcedOut!

Perhaps this is what the Small Claims Court is for... For us, the long-suffering paying customers, to allocate costs where they rightfully belong.

AcedOut Wrote:

> I stayed in Best Western hotel (much against my

> will!) in Berlin not long ago, so I'll probably

> become the next victim of all this!

What is it with Best Western? We stayed in a hotel in N.Ireland a couple of weeks ago (part of that chain). Soon afterwards my wife's card was being used to take cash out of ATM's in Wimbledon as well as make numerous purchases in the far east. Is there a link with this chain and card cloning I've missed on the thread?

I have just been called by RBS who told me the Police had advised them my card had been 'compromised' and were cancelling it for a replacement. Don't know where but it would sggest the fuzz had caught someone with fake cards/card info leading intent on fraud. Thankfully no money taken.

Ho hum.

I have used all of the cashpoints on LL several consistently every week including twice this weekend. As yet, still nothing

Whatever method is being used I don't thing JUST using cashpoints is sufficient - I could just be lucky I guess. But as a counterpart to several "I'm worried to use the cashpoints now..." type posts I thought I would just mention

Declan Wrote:

> AcedOut Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I stayed in Best Western hotel (much against my

> > will!) in Berlin not long ago, so I'll probably

> > become the next victim of all this!

>

> What is it with Best Western? We stayed in a hotel

> in N.Ireland a couple of weeks ago (part of that

> chain). Soon afterwards my wife's card was being

> used to take cash out of ATM's in Wimbledon as

> well as make numerous purchases in the far east.

> Is there a link with this chain and card cloning

> I've missed on the thread?

Weren't they hacked fairly recently?

• 5 weeks later...

Hello fellow EDFers.. new here, just thought id add my bit to this..

Insider information from Somerfields head office has told me that its since the new manager (Sam S) has started working at their E.Dulwich store that there has been a vast amount of complaints being made by customers and banks regarding credit card cloning....

When police went to the store they found that cameras had been turned off on many occassions around the time of when the machines could have been installed.

Apparently he has been 'replacing' old staff with his friends or previous employees (probably to help him).

• 4 months later...

East Dulwician Wrote:

> Somerfield has cloned my card in the past as well

> as a friend of mines. Beware!

something their libel lawyers would take an interest in too, I'll wager.

kudos to East Dulwician for digging up the existing thread rather than starting a new one - but kudos dropped for not backing up unsubstantiated claims!

People seem VERY certain when they mention Somerfields or the garage- "I only used it there in the last week" - but I find it very hard to believe that. Cards can be harvested over a wider area and timeframe.

It MIGHT be that the places in question are hotbeds of cloning but I would love to know more about how people know. And why people still go there