The Patch

Jim1234

On the Vegge front there is a vegetarian restaurant just off of Lordship Lane, (Blue Brick Cafe?) However I don't believe its open in the evening.

I am not a wealthy person, (retail wages aren't the best) BUT I do wish people would stop grumbling about the prices of the dishes on offer.

Lets face it-we can either afford to eat there or we can't, They are not opening a cafe but a destination restaurant with carefully sourced ingredients.

Surely we push the boat out a little once in a while for occasion meals?

Also I'm sure if the takings suffer as a result of over optimistic pricing they will adjust things accordingly.

I find it sad that a business has chosen to invest in opening in our community-not in destination Clapham, or Brixton and people just seem hell bent on bitching about it before its even trading.

Its almost as if you want it to fail and end up as Nandos or some other commercial hideousness.

Please give it a chance-I can't afford to eat there regularly by the sound of it but I don't have sour grapes as a result.

Hel

Any info re Patch was posted early on (ie not much)

the fact that they are taking money from customers but not really updating their webpage, pub front, etc isn't really anyone on here's fault

The splash on their webpage is worth re-reading tho

"THE PATCH - LONDON'S FIRST SELF-SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITY PUB We are re-inventing the concept of the urban pub. Fully independent and self-sufficient, The Patch is a community gastro-pub that is owned, supplied and managed by the local community. "

If I recall, the Ivy House promised much the same but followed through with projection spreadsheets and other plans on here. Goodwill remained in place before they opened and you can't get a seat for love nore money on a Sunday now

Maybe same will be true of the Patch?

El Pibe Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Eh? Personal spats is what makes the forum fun.

>

> If you want dry appraisal go to Which magazine ;-P

I'm all for a good spat but this thread has now hit 6 pages, of which about 4 consist of irrelevant bickering and long winded point scoring. Just saying...

;-)

It's possible the Patch will come good on it's website promises, or on the promises re local breweries here:

http://www.bighospitality.co.uk/Business/Entrepreneur-plans-to-turn-East-Dulwich-pub-into-London-s-first-self-sustaining-community-gastropub

but given they are open, have the pumps already installed, and with a very limited (tied-brewery supplied?) beer list, if I was them i would dampen down any negativity with some local engagement. But I haven't seen any

On here? Nothing

Twitter? very very little

Their website? Have a look

See, this is the difference here between this and any other restaurant/pub opening. They've made a lot of claims for it along these lines that sounded really exciting, but as someone who lives within a very small radius of The Patch, I can't see what they've done to be talking at all with the local community let alone it being "supplied and managed" by them. I've tried asking them questions on their fb page, but didn't get much out of them. I find that a bit disappointing. The Ivy House is a clear contrast, feel a lot of goodwill towards them despite it being a fair distance away and me yet to set foot in it.

But I will go in and ask them in person at some point soon, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

StraferJack Wrote:

> Hel

>

> Any info re Patch was posted early on (ie not

> much)

>

> the fact that they are taking money from customers

> but not really updating their webpage, pub front,

> etc isn't really anyone on here's fault

>

> The splash on their webpage is worth re-reading

> tho

>

> "THE PATCH - LONDON'S FIRST SELF-SUSTAINABLE

> COMMUNITY PUB We are re-inventing the concept of

> the urban pub. Fully independent and

> self-sufficient, The Patch is a community

> gastro-pub that is owned, supplied and managed by

> the local community. "

>

>

> If I recall, the Ivy House promised much the same

> but followed through with projection spreadsheets

> and other plans on here. Goodwill remained in

> place before they opened and you can't get a seat

> for love nore money on a Sunday now

>

> Maybe same will be true of the Patch?

James Wrote:

> To Jeremy:

>

> What if you went to a restaurant and four out of

> five dishes contained different types of squash.

> You might say "What if I don't want to eat

> squash?" To which I might reply "You anti-squash

> extremist, just because you have chosen to be one

> of the squash-hating minority, why should you

> insist on being offered a whole range of

> squash-free dishes?"

I never called you an extremist, I respect vegetarians actually. But you are in the minority.

Your example would only be analagous if squash was a daily staple for the majority of the population, and I had decided for personal reasons not to eat it. I'd probably be a bit fed up, but it would have been something I'd considered when making the choice to live a squash-free lifestyle.

Jeremy I guess the point is that meat is not a daily staple. If you look at the world as a whole, people who eat a vegetarian or mainly vegetarian diet are by far in the majority. Huge swathes of India are vegetarian and this has fostered an incredibly rich and varied cuisine.

We are part of a weird minority of nations who indistrialised early and have been indoctrinated to perceive meat as an essential part of a 'normal' diet. It isn't. It's actually an unnecessary luxury that causes unnecessary pollution, waste and cruelty. And funnily enough, our terrible health as a nation - high rates of cancers, heart disease, obesity and so on - is largely due to excessive consumption of red meat.

I guess what I'm saying is it's high time the restaurants of East Dulwich caught up with the Ottolenghi's of this world and started realising the potential of beautiful, satisfying veggie cuisine instead of being so in thrall to meat.

James Wrote:

> I guess what I'm saying is it's high time the restaurants of East Dulwich caught up with the

> Ottolenghi's of this world and started realising the potential of beautiful, satisfying veggie

> cuisine instead of being so in thrall to meat.

Do you think if it worth their efforts, they wouldn't do this? When only 10% of your custom order vegetarian, why devote more that 10% of your menu to it? The reason there aren't more veggie options is that they are just not popular choices.

James Wrote:

> Blue Brick cafe is great, love the place. It is

> surprising there isn't more for veggies around

> here though.

xxxxxx

There was.

Indian Mischief, on Lordship Lane.

Hardly anybody went there, and it closed down.

Otta Wrote:

> That's because from what I'm told, it was shit.

xxxxxxx

I thought the food was generally good, and reasonably priced.

Why are you posting on here that it was "shit", if you never actually went there?