bus shelter count downs..........

jane1

can someone tell me, why is it all the bus shelter count downs screens are slowly being taken down, i think they are a brilliant idea in and around East Dulwich,does any one know if they are going to be replaced with some thing else, and they are really reliable, if it says the bus is due, it comes along, and being a single woman that uses a lot of buses and these dark evening ahead of us, i just find it a little bit reassuring to know how long i am going to be waiting at the bus shelter in the cold this winter......

I hadn't noticed any coming down but these days there are apps which allow to to check ANY bus stop (regardless of wether it had a countdown or not)

If you don't have a smartphone you can text a number (on the bus stop pillar) with a code for the stop and it will text you back with next buses

There is an argument that says waving technology around at bus stops isn't very wise but in all the years I have been doing it I have never had a problem - I'm not advocating not paying attention to your surroundings... just be alert and you should be fine

Agree with the two responses below - it may be a case of TfL saving money given so many people have the said bus apps. They are a godsend, especially in winter!

For the second question - yes, they are very accurate. The only problem is some buses arent picked up; so you tend to get more buses than you expect. Otherwise the boards and app are reliable (they are both linked to the same data source).

A couple of points

(1) - Bus users include those who do not have, do not wish to use, may find it difficult to use (sight, dexterity - i.e. the old) smart phones.

(2) - Encouraging those who have smart phones to take them out in the street is also an encouragement to those who wish to steal them - and even gives thieves a good predictable spot to predate on users.

Leading me to think that removing the signage at bus stops thus making people rely on smart phones or have no knowledge is a step backwards.

Tech-savvy ED forum-ites are not the only fruit.

Countrlass22, I often use the text service at the bus stop, but I have wondered how much the service costs, I need to check my phone bills a bit more closely from now on. ?1.50 per text is way too much in my opinion.

I don't have a smart phone yet, but I will have to upgrade sooner or later! However I'd rather not be fumbling with my phone at bus stops late at night.

> also word woarnign the text number on bus stops is charged at multimedia rate by orange/ee cpst ?1.50 a text.

The SMS text charge is said to be "12 pence per text over your standard network rate" according to http://www.tfl.gov.uk/termsandconditions/20914.aspx. It is just a text message, isn't it? The only other thing I can think of is the free web service, which costs whatever you have to pay for data downloads.

Penguin68 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> A couple of points

>

> (1) - Bus users include those who do not have, do

> not wish to use, may find it difficult to use

> (sight, dexterity - i.e. the old) smart phones.

>

> (2) - Encouraging those who have smart phones to

> take them out in the street is also an

> encouragement to those who wish to steal them -

> and even gives thieves a good predictable spot to

> predate on users.

>

> Leading me to think that removing the signage at

> bus stops thus making people rely on smart phones

> or have no knowledge is a step backwards.

>

> Tech-savvy ED forum-ites are not the only fruit.

You raise a very good point here especially point 2 where I would agree, taking out ones ?500 phone and waving it about, to all and sundry, has become quite unconscious.

From the TFL site http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/projectsandschemes/11560.aspx - not sure how current this info is:

Noticed the Countdown sign has disappeared from your stop?

London Buses are working hard to keep our shelters up to date and fully operational. To enable repair or upgrade shelter work to take place we have to temporarily remove the Countdown signs.

Click here to see which bus stops are currently affected (PDF 62.25KB)

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/corporate/temporary-countdown-sign-removals.pdf

Depending on the complexity of the works required, it can take some time before we can reinstall your sign. Until then, why not use web, mobile web or SMS to get live bus arrival information.

Arse Biscuits to using a portable telephone, shouldn't have to, ever.

In the absence of accurate paper timetables then wobbly LED readouts all the way, in my experience mainly reliable and accessible to all.

Except of course the 484 disinformation at the Camberwell Butterfly stop.

It does nothing but turn that bus shelter into THE BUS SHELTER OF LIES!.!.!.

I haven't read many of the previous posts so if I've repeated any points then well done to the pointmakers, good to see some right-thinking people hereabouts.

sedm Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> This may be no use to you, but if you have a

> iphone there is a very good app called Live Bus

> Times which you can use at any bus stop.

> I agree it would be better to keep the count down

> screens up

xxxxx

Also for Android phones, showing on my phone as "LT free" so I presume that's what you'd have to search for.

You can click on any bus stop in the area (on a map, not on the actual bus stop, obviously, duh) and it will show you times of arrival of all the next buses.

ETA: I agree no use if you don't have a smart phone, but hey, not so long ago we all just had to stamp our feet and moan if no bus appeared, now at least many of us know when it's likely to arrive .....

And the person above who has a ?500 phone - well, lucky lucky you, I hope it's ?500 worth better than the perfectly adequate smart phone I got "free" with my ?10-ish a month contract :))