EDF Drinks - Friday 5th September - The Duke

georgia

What a lovely pub!

Great food, great staff, great atmosphere (tastefully decorated and music you could talk over)

Obviously, the great thing about forum drinks is the people, and last night was no exception, but the pub gets it's own special mention as the nicest place we've been so far.

Back to the people, lovely to see everyone again and meet a few new faces, especially AcedOut (does anyone know if he made it out of the kebab shop again?) who was charming and who we owe a drink next time for leaving so "early".

That late night post from AcedOut at the back of Kebab & Wine redefines "poignant" - I'm guessing that the lack of further posting meant beer, food and company were all located

Great to meet people, regulars and new alike - but as already mentioned a special big up to the Duke. We've been to places that looked after us before (take a bow Hoopers and the FHT) and places that, well, didn't (I'm looking at you Uplands) but the Duke said they would do some sample food for us and they delivered waaaay beyond expectations. From gazpacho, to canap?s - and then onto fish and beef pies - all of them were ridiculously good quality. It was a real treat to have so much good stuff and I can't thank Nick at the Duke enough. The bar staff were all on good form and enjoyed plenty of banter all night so well done them too (and I'm only slightly in love with at least one of them...)

Most of us walked from the Duke onto EDT after the Duke's closing time but by then I was fading - although I did note that Ray clocked us when we went in and sorted out some drinks as well - nice one Ray

A couple of young bucks decided to try the Adventure bar and their faces when they saw it was closed was priceless ;-)

One last reminder. The Duke. Go there. It's fab. I will blame you personally if we lose it. So go. Often

Good to meet you all (OK, some of you) last night - sorry Pim for the hasty exit!

Another post of praise for the Duke. The food was excellent. Slightly embarrassed that I tasted a warm, fresh Scotch Egg for the first time in my life and thought "oh, _that's_ what they're supposed to taste like!"

: P

Looking forward to what AcedOut has to say this morning if based on the above post! Nice to have met you, by the way, owe you a beer next time on account of knackeredness kicking in just before my round... ;-)

Good to see everyone, although arriving after work looking like an Old English Sheepdog from the rain meant i spent more time drying off than mingling so didn't get a chance to say hello to most people.

Would like to wade in to support the fine reviews of The Duke: never been there before (mostly because of being an un-adventurous wuss and not heading to... nunhead) but I was really impressed. They've managed to do the place up but still keep a really welcoming atmosphere. I'm sure this is in no small part due to the lovely staff, who (since I missed the drinks at FHT and Hoopers, which see to be the benchmark) are by several miles the friendliest bar staff i've come across, not just in ED but anywhere.

Ah, and let's just give a brief moment to food.

For anyone who didn't get any of the pies, it's because I may, in fact, have eaten ALL the pies... Top class fodder - very keen to check out their sunday roast.

Hey

We had a lovely time last time . Emma

my neighbour and i turned up and wasnt sure where the EDF people were..but

Sean came over and found us.Thanks Sean for making us very welcome.:)

It was really nice to meet loads of new faces and fortunately Im able

to remember most ..err even put names to faces!! Inc CitizenEd, JamesCornell,

Sean, Georgia...

The staff at the the Duke were really friendly. The eats looked lovely

but I had eaten a massive takeaway curry with my mum before we came

out!!

EDT was great fun and nice carry on...though i was ready to stumble

home...

no late night kebab or Adventure.

We've been here a month and its really nice to meet loads of new

people on EDF and make new friends.

Hello!

Im Emma, Chris aka weegee's neighbour!. Just wanted to say it was lovely to meet you all last night and the pub put on a great spread so many thanks to them, will definitely be going there again some time. Me and my boyfriend Luke, who turned up late last night and met some of you, will hopefully make the next drinks in october. Again lovely to meet you all, thank you for being so welcoming and see you again soon.:))

I also must add how great the food, atmos and bar staff were. Shame the other half and I don't get out more often!

Big shouts to Richard (Balfe's Bikes), Pierre, Sean, Marmora Man (a rare sighting), Keef, Citizen, Georgia, Annasfield, Admin, Richard, Andrew and everyone else who I didn't quite manage to chat to.

The batter on that cod was sublime - I am deffo going back to eat one time. Pickled onions were delicious as well. I even fancied the burgers the staff were about to tuck into as we were all kicked out (even tho' I is veggie!).

Roll on another!

WE HAD A BRILL TIME TOO BUT WITH VERY SORE HEADS ON SATURDAY.. MIXING ONE'S DRINKS IS NO GOOD.....GREAT TO MEET SOME NEW PEEPS TOO, I CAN NOW PUT FACES TO POSTS, HMMM OR CAN I! THE VENUE WAS FAB - GREAT CHOICE GEORGA, I SHALL DEF TRY THE MENU OUT THERE SOON.

Can I belatedly add my recognition to the fine spread put on by the Duke - the best scotch eggs ever - and to say I had a lovely time.

But the big poser - where to next month? I heard talk of trying out the "new Mag(nolia)" which sounds good although we were there only recently. Other options in SE22 seem to have been exhausted so is it time to look a little further afield - say the Montpellier nr Peckham Rye station? - or go back to old favourites?