What's Happening on Crawthew Grove Project?

Lynne - I'm sure you're right. But sincere or not, hopefully someone has now whipped them into behaving properly and receiving regular updates will be useful. I still look forward to that entire section of street being resurfaced as James B said had been agreed following the previous damage on that corner. But I imagine that will be totally forgotten by the time it's all finished.

Vik Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I presume the crying out loud was the fact that

> people seemed to be acting like it was some huge

> state secret.

xxxxxx

I thought it was amusing that people were wanting it to be somebody "famous" .....

We were promised a weekly update last time and had....none.

Let's see what happens and I hope they just get on with and get it done. A year of disruption already is annoying...but even more so when all they had to show for it was massive hole in the ground and some foundations.

I'm glad it's not Lenny Henry, at least the bloke from the pub chain has done something I have enjoyed (i.e. own The Bishop). Probably off topic, I won't go there.

• 1 month later...
Do we now have to suffer the massive blue metal shed that has taken up just as much, if not more room then the previous temporary office as well as road restrictions that make the corner of the road even more dangerous than before or is this something completely different?

The last incarnation of the project (amazingly) didn't have the correct permissions till quite late on - but they did get them in the end. This time round they do seem a bit more organised - and so far, some sense has prevailed in that the big obstruction is on the other side of the road not making the corner not quite so blind for traffic.

Not much fun for those houses right by the blue metal thing - must make for quite dark evenings in the shadow of that thing.

• 4 months later...

I live right in front of the blue metal enclosure and have had to endure this horrible build for nearly 22 months.... it is never ending! I have cracks in the house, workers in front of my door, some of the Irish ones smoking and cursing, Tardis Toilet Hire removing foul smelling sewage from the Port a loo inside the side using a hose, dragged across my front door. I cant park, have people round, work from home, sleep past 8am, have any privacy.

If any neighbours know which new contractor has been appointed (not PowerDay, who are due to finish) and what the new timeframe for completion is, I would love to know! The Surveyor and Developer have failed to provide a Schedule of Works to me, as part of Party Wall Agreement with me....

PB

I still can't believe that in this borough anyone can take up a hundred feet of public highway without a licence from the local authority. Without a timetable. With near non-existent communication with neighbours - they occasionally promise but never do. Why set up the expectation if you're not going to follow through? I desperately hope that the owner ends up hating his new house as much as we do.

Worldwiser thanks for your support. I agree. An excerpt of an email I sent to the Council today:

I would like to ask how the Council can allow residents to be so adversely impacted by a build, over such a long period of time. Where is the protection for residents? Homeowners? Compensation for my inability to sell my home in the last year due to the delay of 1 year? Compensation for loss of privacy, inability to work from my home, loss of enjoyment in my home, the embarassment at having anyone round? Justification for the mess and traffic chaos of this corner in East Dulwich? Where are the penalties for incompetent contractors? For selfish and greedy developers? Neither I or anyone who knkows about this situation can understand how it has been allowed to continue to impact residents of Crawthew Grove, Worlingham Road and others to this extent, for this long. From my perspective, the Contractors and suppliers shrug their shoulders and say 'not my problem' or 'call the Council' but on many of issues I have raised, the Council has referred me to a third party or a National Body. Where is the Council's accountability now, 22 months into this build?

Southwark Council must not approve Planning for a build, without stricter conditions and monitoring on its development and impact on residents. The Council has a duty to its members to ensure any builds are reasonable, safe, with the least impact as possible on residents' ability to carry on with their normal lives. It seems sensible to attach conditions to planning approvals. Conditions that the work must be completed in a certain timeframe. Conditions that there must be minimum impact to neighbours. Council's review and approval of the contractors chosen (are they reputable? have they done work in the borough before? what is their financial situation?). Penalties should be given for breaching these conditions. Only these kinds of measures will ensure Developers behave responsibly, with thought for their neigbhours and community, selecting quality contractors that will do a good job and not cut corners. Having lived through this nightmare (not over yet), I honestly dont think that until developers and contractors are hit in their wallets, these kinds of complicated, delayed, horribly disruptive builds will stop.