Door-to-door salesmen

It's a really good way to check if a so-called charity is a legit charity or not. There are some small voluntary organisations and community groups that haven't registered as charities due to the paperwork involved but most organisations that have charitable puposes will have registered with the charity commission. Also, you can view any charities annual accounts and also, whether there have been any investigations into a charity because of complaints or questions about dodgy practices at the charity.

The link is http://www.charitycommission.gov.uk

• 5 months later...

I tend to just not answer the door, We do get the odd dishcloth seller and used to get the fish men alot but not so much recently, luckily I usually see them coming from my kitchen window and hide!;-)

With the charity collections one, always check the bottom of the leaflet, if there's a charity no. they're legit, if it's a company no. chances are they're dodgy!

Don't have nightmares!;-)

I bought a set of oven gloves (I did need some desperately). I did look up the name of the organisation but it drew a blank.

The organisation for Homeless and unemployed People

I kept the label as shown in the picture I have attached (if you can see it)

I had them last night. Mrs Ant was upstairs putting the baby to bed, and I was halfway through reading my oldest daughter her bedtime story. Ignored the first ring, but they were persistent. I somehow managed to be polite and yet get rid of them very quickly, but what I really wanted to do was to shout at them to f*ck off and stop intruding on my evening.

The dishcloth sellers are a pain and I agree it's best to politely and firmly tell them to go away. I suspect if you do buy something there's a chance that word will go around that they struck lucky, and they'll come back in due course.

For Jehova's Witness' and religious cold callers - try this.

On opening the door, they will start spouting their usual guff about joining the family of God, 144000 places in heaven, blahdy blah.

Say nothing. Simply stare at them.

They will probably look somewhat confused as this reponse isn't in the script. They may ask you another question, babble on a bit more about how your quality of life could be improved etc etc.

Remain silent. Continue to stare at them intently with a blank expression on your face. Carry this on for as long as necessary - Eventually they'll make some kind of concluding comment, say goodbye and head off down the path, possibly trying to hand you a leaflet as they do so. Do not take it. Continue staring at them in silence.

And then (making sure you've put the front door on latch or you have keys with you) - FOLLOW THEM. In silence. Staring at them, as you do so. Down the road if necessary. Keep looking at them right in the eyes.

It'll freak 'em out and they'll never come back.

One of the few benefits I?ve found about my catholic upbringing is that when god botherers knock on the door I just sternly tell them ?I?m catholic? and they generally bugger off. It helps if you look half cut and sound slightly aggressive too.

I wonder if the same will work on sales people/con artists.

Genius! I am so gonna try this!

Cuthbert Dibble Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The dishcloth sellers are a pain and I agree it's

> best to politely and firmly tell them to go away.

> I suspect if you do buy something there's a chance

> that word will go around that they struck lucky,

> and they'll come back in due course.

>

> For Jehova's Witness' and religious cold callers -

> try this.

>

> On opening the door, they will start spouting

> their usual guff about joining the family of God,

> 144000 places in heaven, blahdy blah.

>

> Say nothing. Simply stare at them.

>

> They will probably look somewhat confused as this

> reponse isn't in the script. They may ask you

> another question, babble on a bit more about how

> your quality of life could be improved etc etc.

>

> Remain silent. Continue to stare at them intently

> with a blank expression on your face. Carry this

> on for as long as necessary - Eventually they'll

> make some kind of concluding comment, say goodbye

> and head off down the path, possibly trying to

> hand you a leaflet as they do so. Do not take it.

> Continue staring at them in silence.

>

> And then (making sure you've put the front door on

> latch or you have keys with you) - FOLLOW THEM. In

> silence. Staring at them, as you do so. Down the

> road if necessary. Keep looking at them right in

> the eyes.

>

> It'll freak 'em out and they'll never come back.

I had them round about 3 weeks ago - when I said politely no, having listened for a minute or two, I got a sob story about what a terrible day he'd had, and I was going to make it worse. He wasn't easy to shift. If this is a genuine cause I'm with Spooniferous - the goods have to be reasonably priced. With a seven quid cloth they're asking a quid for a cloth and a six quid donation - which is quite a big donation for any charity you randomly encounter, as opposed to one you have decided to support regularly.

Now, I would say that I'm not the particularly trusting type. But in the last year I've managed to be duped by ALL of the above.

the woman who's mate's a neighbour and has run out of petrol - could she just borrow a fiver. Ooh you're a lifesaver.

The ex-crim's with their discloths (I got a clothes defluffer, and actually it was about the same price as Sainsbury and saved me the trip)

AND a lovely window cleaner bloke, who was just in the area and would send his guys round later. Could he have a deposit as they've been let down before...

Now, am very wary about this type of thing. If I get ripped off again, hubby will disown me. And our windows are now filthy on account of NOT getting them cleaned after funnily enough the windowcleaner didn't come back. Anyone recommend a good windowcleaner, while I'm here?

Someone in my street, who had handed my car keys in when I left them in the car door, knocked and asked to borrow ?20.This was only the 2nd time I'd ever seen him.He said he was waiting for a social security cheque and would pay me back at the end of next week......I handed it over with mixed feelings and sure enough a couple of months passed and I never saw him again. 'Bloody typical' I thought, but of the blue he turned up with the cash. I was wrong and he was a bad time keeper but fundamentally it made me realize don't judge everyone to be the just the same. My other half has just pointed out that on another occasion he opened the door to a particularly chavvy bloke and was just about to turn him abruptly away with the 'we don't buy at the door etc line' when he said 'Oy mate is that your car with the keys in the door......'. Incidentally the knackered old vehicle did get stolen eventually. Charity work really.

Sadly I never believe anyone who asks me for money any more. Too many scammers like these! Recently, on my way home near Barry Road I was asked by a bloke for some money as he was locked out and had to sleep on the street. If I was in a similar situation I think I would be more likely to try one of my friends or neighbours than approach a random person on the street.

• 2 weeks later...

Not so long ago, you used to be able to buy a small sticker to place by your door saying - no cold callers, we do not buy items over the doorstep..... whatever happened to them?

even if you opened the door - you simply point to the message and politely close the door....

- believe me, they work.... back in the mid nineties, I managed a sales force of over 300 'door-knockers' ( in the North East)... the local media advised everyone to use them... I pulled the sales force out and moved onto the next town..